ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Best 48+ channel analog for under $7k?  (Read 50982 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Best 48+ channel analog for under $7k?
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2013, 04:34:01 PM »

Sure, but with a 48 channel console I would keep the channels I use most often closest to me, and then put channels like stereo returns and such farther away because I don't need to adjust them as often. I can pretty easily reach something 3 or 4 feet away.
How's that different than putting things used less often on a different page?

One problem I run into with layers is needing to adjust something on one layer as well as something on another layer at the same time. With an analog console the only problem with that might be the reach, whereas with layers I cannot actually adjust two channels on adjacent layers at the same time without doing one of two things:

1. Assign the two things I need to adjust to a DCA or pair of DCAs.
2. Have the channel on the first layer selected and adjust the level on screen and then move to the second layer and adjust the other channel with my other hand.

I've made use of the second method a few times but my preference is to simply setup my user layer so that both of those channels are on the same layer.
Most good digital boards are flexible enough that you can put anything you need anywhere, either intrinsically like the iLives/GLD, or by using user layers. 

I'm going to stop short (maybe just) of saying you're wrong, but I will say that you are a member of a shrinking minority with your preference of a LFA board.  The upside is that there is an ever increasing supply of boards of the type you prefer for less and less money.  I know of two MH3 boards for sale in my city and they're getting cheaper by the day.

Edit:  I believe you'd be able to buy both of them for your $7K number (one needs a little work).
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 04:37:18 PM by TJ (Tom) Cornish »

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2013, 04:59:07 PM »

How's that different than putting things used less often on a different page?Most good digital boards are flexible enough that you can put anything you need anywhere, either intrinsically like the iLives/GLD, or by using user layers. 

Right, but on the Roland you can only do that if you use the user layers. Without user layers you can only patch inputs to channels 1-48. AUXes and DCAs are on their own layers and can't be moved to other ones (again, unless you use user layers).

Plus, the Roland doesn't have LEDs that change when you change layers or when you change patches. You gotta use tape or print labels onto the board, and then if you want to change the layout you have to change the labels.

As I said, I'd kill for an iLive but they're a lot more expensive than the Roland.

Also, regarding patching: I've never had to change a patch during a show. And I rarely, if ever change a patch during sound check.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 05:25:49 PM by Jason Lucas »
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2013, 05:01:52 PM »

Right, but on the Roland you can only do that if you use the user layers. Without user layers you can only patch inputs to channels 1-48. AUXes and DCAs are on their own layers and can't be moved to other ones (again, unless you use user layers).

Plus, the Roland doesn't have LEDs that change when you change layers or when you change patches. You gotta use tape or print labels onto the board, and then if you want to change the layout you have to change the labels.

As I said, I'd kill for an iLive but they're a lot more expensive than the Roland.

Yep, the Roland sucks compared to functional live consoles.

By the way......

Are you buying this or is the church buying it for your (their) use? 
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2013, 05:19:33 PM »

Yep, the Roland sucks compared to functional live consoles.

By the way......

Are you buying this or is the church buying it for your (their) use?

It would be the church, I certainly can't afford to drop thousands of dollars on a mixer.

Kent Thompson

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2013, 11:40:16 AM »

Also, regarding patching: I've never had to change a patch during a show. And I rarely, if ever change a patch during sound check.
The GLD to me appears to be in the same price range as the Roland unless I am missing something. Choosing a GLD would at least divorce you from the 1 to 1 format and allow you to put anything anywhere you want it.

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2013, 01:01:47 PM »

The GLD to me appears to be in the same price range as the Roland unless I am missing something. Choosing a GLD would at least divorce you from the 1 to 1 format and allow you to put anything anywhere you want it.

My only gripes with the GLD are that it has fewer faders than the Roland (although it's less of an issue because you can put anything anywhere) and the lack of remote control (which I assume they'll fix soon).

The Roland board retails for $10k, the snakes each go for about $2k. The GLD is $9k and the main rack unit is $2200, with 8 in/4 out units costing $1200. So they're about the same price.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 01:06:09 PM by Jason Lucas »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2013, 01:12:01 PM »

My only gripes with the GLD are that it has fewer faders than the Roland (although it's less of an issue because you can put anything anywhere) and the lack of remote control (which I assume they'll fix soon).

The Roland board retails for $10k, the snakes each go for about $2k. The GLD is $9k and the main rack unit is $2200, with 8 in/4 out units costing $1200. So they're about the same price.

You're incorrect on the GLD pricing.  There are better deals out there and there have been some killer deals on open box GLD systems in the Marketplace either here or at SFN. 

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2013, 01:31:39 PM »

You're incorrect on the GLD pricing.  There are better deals out there and there have been some killer deals on open box GLD systems in the Marketplace either here or at SFN.

I'd be incorrect if I said that was the price everywhere. It's the current price on Sweetwater, which tends to have the same price as most standard online retailers.

We got our Roland + snakes ($14,000 retail) for only $7,000. So I already assumed it was possible to find a similar deal on the GLD.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 01:34:21 PM by Jason Lucas »

Bob L. Wilson

« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2013, 01:32:01 PM »

How's that different than putting things used less often on a different page?Most good digital boards are flexible enough that you can put anything you need anywhere, either intrinsically like the iLives/GLD, or by using user layers. 

I'm going to stop short (maybe just) of saying you're wrong, but I will say that you are a member of a shrinking minority with your preference of a LFA board.  The upside is that there is an ever increasing supply of boards of the type you prefer for less and less money.  I know of two MH3 boards for sale in my city and they're getting cheaper by the day.

Edit:  I believe you'd be able to buy both of them for your $7K number (one needs a little work).

I am a died in the wool analog guy still mixing Sunday services on a Midas Heritage but even I can not in good conscience advocate that our next system be based around an analog console. The sun is setting on analog as we know it but I also believe the sun is setting on the current design motif in digital consoles. I think the best digital consoles of ten years from now are going to look a lot more like a Heritage with a screen. I think things like layers, multiple uses for buttons and encoders, will still exist for portable and small format use but the best digital is going to mature in to something that looks a lot like LFA.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2013, 01:49:52 PM »

I am a died in the wool analog guy still mixing Sunday services on a Midas Heritage but even I can not in good conscience advocate that our next system be based around an analog console. The sun is setting on analog as we know it but I also believe the sun is setting on the current design motif in digital consoles. I think the best digital consoles of ten years from now are going to look a lot more like a Heritage with a screen. I think things like layers, multiple uses for buttons and encoders, will still exist for portable and small format use but the best digital is going to mature in to something that looks a lot like LFA.

I can even see an option which would come up on-screen:

"what do you want to do?" to which you would enter your task either from a menu selection or selections or type in your topic.  The pertinent info would pop up either from the manual or simply on-screen with the desired operation highlighted on the screen.

Patch FX to channel?  Click here on the routing diagram.

"How can I help you, Dave?"

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2013, 01:49:52 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 25 queries.