ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transfer antenna over mullticore?  (Read 3458 times)

Jonty Needham

Transfer antenna over mullticore?
« on: May 09, 2013, 03:29:01 PM »

Looking for a solution to the problem of having mic receivers at the desk end whilst having the antennae at the stage end. I ideally would like to transfer the signal over the multicore as we're doing weekly installs; obviously this would have to be balanced. However I need to ensure the impedance is preserved as far as the receiver views the antenna, so does anyone do this, and if so is there a reasonable solution? The other solution is obviously using a powered antenna, but I'm currently exploring the most cost efficient solution. Any help, advice very welcome.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Transfer antenna over mullticore?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 03:48:49 PM »

Looking for a solution to the problem of having mic receivers at the desk end whilst having the antennae at the stage end. I ideally would like to transfer the signal over the multicore as we're doing weekly installs; obviously this would have to be balanced. However I need to ensure the impedance is preserved as far as the receiver views the antenna, so does anyone do this, and if so is there a reasonable solution? The other solution is obviously using a powered antenna, but I'm currently exploring the most cost efficient solution. Any help, advice very welcome.

No, you cannot run the antennas through a mic multi. Put the receivers at the stage so the antenna cable runs are short, and run the audio through the multi. So what if you can't see the receivers, from FOH there is nothing you can do about any problems anyway. If the mics support it use a network connection to see the meters on a computer screen.

Mac

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 03:49:33 PM »

No, you cannot send RF down an audio snake.  The very best way to accomplish your goal on a tight budget is to give up having the receivers at the desk and move them to the stage, then send balanced audio down the audio snake.

The next lowest-budget alternative (and inferior to my suggestion above, for reliability) is to run a pair of premium low-loss RF cable alongside your snake, like Times Microwave LMR-400 or Belden 9913F.  You still need to keep losses at a minimum by running the shortest length possible, and get the powered active antennas.  Unfortunately, that is low budget for RF.

Jonty Needham

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 05:04:51 PM »

No, you cannot run the antennas through a mic multi. Put the receivers at the stage so the antenna cable runs are short, and run the audio through the multi. So what if you can't see the receivers, from FOH there is nothing you can do about any problems anyway. If the mics support it use a network connection to see the meters on a computer screen.

Mac

Thanks, that's actually not a bad suggestion. An effective solution seems to be provided here http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=142223.0 to the network solution, which is desirable as the receivers do provide some functionality for straightforward issues.

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 08:57:56 PM »

Looking for a solution to the problem of having mic receivers at the desk end whilst having the antennae at the stage end.

If you want to see the RX, there's nothing wrong with putting them at FOH and running your antennas to the stage.  A 150' run of LMR400UF is less than 5 dB loss which is perfectly acceptable.  Cable runs about $1.50/foot so it's not as inexpensive as moving the RX to the stage.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 08:57:56 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.