ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phantom power ?  (Read 4339 times)

John Luty

Phantom power ?
« on: January 13, 2013, 02:22:05 PM »

Thinking about buying a xlr light for my mixer . It says that I need to have phantom power ,which I have , My question is will it affect my sm58s and 57s that do not require phantom power ?

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
Re: Phantom power ?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 02:25:15 PM »

Thinking about buying a xlr light for my mixer . It says that I need to have phantom power ,which I have , My question is will it affect my sm58s and 57s that do not require phantom power ?

No.
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 08:44:04 PM »

XLR lights (even the led ones) typically need a dedicated power jack to plug into (most are 4pin to avoid plugging errors)

The series resistor internal to the mixer limits you to about 7 mA per pin.. or 14 mA if you use 2 and 3 together.   

If you have discovered a product which will illuminate a mixer from a mic jack would you be willing to share it with us?

John Luty

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 04:56:59 AM »

If you have discovered a product which will illuminate a mixer from a mic jack would you be willing to share it with us?
[/quote]
Hosa LTE 503 is a 3 pin led xlr light I haven't bought it yet so I can't say how well it works

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 08:12:08 AM »

Hosa LTE 503 is a 3 pin led xlr light I haven't bought it yet so I can't say how well it works

Everything I can find says it's a BNC connector, not XLR.

Edit:

http://www.altex.com/3-Pin-XLR-Male-to-BNC-Female-Audio-Adapter-35-459-P146225.aspx
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 08:19:35 AM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 08:38:40 AM »

Everything I can find says it's a BNC connector, not XLR.

Edit:

http://www.altex.com/3-Pin-XLR-Male-to-BNC-Female-Audio-Adapter-35-459-P146225.aspx

I also find conflicting info about 12VDC or "plug into phantom powered mic input".

http://www.hosatech.com/product/337111/LTE-503XLR/_/LED_Console_Lamp%2C_XLR3M%2C_15_in

Hosa says it's 12VDC.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Helmke

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 10:17:41 AM »

XLR to BNC to a gooseneck lamp?  I don't think that's going to work very well.  There's not not enough power from a phantom-power mic input to produce much light.  It might work, but even so the light will be very dim.

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 11:05:49 AM »

I have one John, it connects to the XLR jack on my power center.  http://www.guitarcenter.com/Monster-Power-PRO-2500-Rack-PowerCenter-103366530-i1125240.gc?source=4WWRWXGP&cagpspn=pla

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 02:27:24 PM »

XLR to BNC to a gooseneck lamp?  I don't think that's going to work very well.  There's not not enough power from a phantom-power mic input to produce much light.  It might work, but even so the light will be very dim.

There are at least 2 versions of the LTE503... BNC and XLR AND they come in LED or conventional incandescent.  Hosa says both are 12VDC.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 02:27:24 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 23 queries.