ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Expanding an LS9  (Read 5725 times)

jesseweiss

Expanding an LS9
« on: January 11, 2013, 09:44:47 AM »

The theater in the school where I work has an LS9 and we're looking to expand to have a permanent solution to using our SLX wireless sets.  In the past I've used unused channels for the wireless, but we'd like to have everything hooked up.

The budget is not enough to get the Yamaha network card and stagebox, so I'm looking for thoughts on mixers.  I need to be able to save scenes and ideally motorized faders would help.    The custodial staff also gets into the system to setup for assemblies, etc.. and I need to ensure they can't mess things up.  16 channels will be plenty.

Our budget is about $2,000.

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
Re: Expanding an LS9
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 10:19:14 AM »

expand to have a permanent solution.  16 channels will be plenty.

You need to use your real name in your profile, otherwise the thread will be locked.

Which LS9?  If you're not using the second layer, consider the MY16-AT card with a decent 8-channel ADAT mic preamp.  Add another later if you need 16 channels.

jesseweiss

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 03:22:41 PM »

You need to use your real name in your profile, otherwise the thread will be locked.

I'm confused, my screen name is my real name?  What would I do differently?

Which LS9?  If you're not using the second layer, consider the MY16-AT card with a decent 8-channel ADAT mic preamp.  Add another later if you need 16 channels.

It's the LS9-16, sorry forgot to mention that.  So you think it's simplest to just get the card and run the wireless on the 2nd layer?  My concern is that if someone who doesn't know how to use the stuff well needs to (I don't have control over the equipment since it's in a school) then they won't be able to figure it out.  Whereas if the wireless are on a separate mixer it's a little easier since they can adjust sliders up and down at least.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 03:28:31 PM »

It's the LS9-16, sorry forgot to mention that.  So you think it's simplest to just get the card and run the wireless on the 2nd layer?  My concern is that if someone who doesn't know how to use the stuff well needs to (I don't have control over the equipment since it's in a school) then they won't be able to figure it out.  Whereas if the wireless are on a separate mixer it's a little easier since they can adjust sliders up and down at least.

How about a little label next to the appropriate layer select button that says "wireless"?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 03:40:49 PM »

If it needs to be "stupid-proof" you need something that doesn't involve an LS/9.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Milner

• DcSoundOp Audio Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 04:50:13 PM »

Maybe put the RF mics through a shure AutoMixer ... in this case (16 Channels) a pair of Shure SCM-810 units would be slightly above your $2k budget. ~$1300/each

You could have the two SCM units feeding a pair of channels (or a single channel if you cascade the SCM units) on the top layer of your LS-9. One fader for all of your wireless mics should be simple enough for most operators to get right.

If you can purchase used, I've seen the 810 for as low as $350 locally on Craigslist. I've seen used Lectrosonics AM8 fairly cheap too, but those use EuroBlock connectors and you'll have to make a patch panel for it to be easy to patch quickly and often. There is a Peavey AutoMixer on eBay right now for $125, which might work for you too.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 05:05:41 PM »

Maybe put the RF mics through a shure AutoMixer ... in this case (16 Channels) a pair of Shure SCM-810 units would be slightly above your $2k budget. ~$1300/each

You could have the two SCM units feeding a pair of channels (or a single channel if you cascade the SCM units) on the top layer of your LS-9. One fader for all of your wireless mics should be simple enough for most operators to get right.

If you can purchase used, I've seen the 810 for as low as $350 locally on Craigslist. I've seen used Lectrosonics AM8 fairly cheap too, but those use EuroBlock connectors and you'll have to make a patch panel for it to be easy to patch quickly and often. There is a Peavey AutoMixer on eBay right now for $125, which might work for you too.

There was just an SCM<810 with XLR panel sold on EBay for under $400.  I need 410's, so I took a pass, but it was a steal.  If you can shop over time, there are definitely things out there for less than half the new price.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Steve Milner

• DcSoundOp Audio Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 05:16:24 PM »

There was just an SCM<810 with XLR panel sold on EBay for under $400.  I need 410's, so I took a pass, but it was a steal.  If you can shop over time, there are definitely things out there for less than half the new price.

That is a good price!
I mistakenly neglected to add in my previous post that the 810 would also need an i/O panel for repeated set-ups, as it also uses EuroBlock Connectors. Although, if they lived in a rack with the RF receivers, the EuroBlocks would be just fine.

jesseweiss

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 07:41:43 PM »

If it needs to be "stupid-proof" you need something that doesn't involve an LS/9.

It's an idea.  It's certainly the simplest solution, but since it's a school nothing is ever simple!  Sometimes someone, custodian or staff, will unintentionally hit the button to turn off the mains and nobody can figure out what to do without calling me out of class :0.

jesseweiss

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 07:45:36 PM »

Unfortunately I'm well aware of that, but the LS9 was bought through a local installer that they used to rent equipment from and they sold him an LS9 for set it and forget it.  So now we have it, and I'm trying to make the best of it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 07:45:36 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.