ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arena Monitor Rig w/ flown side fills  (Read 2334 times)

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
Arena Monitor Rig w/ flown side fills
« on: February 18, 2013, 08:47:21 PM »

I am in the process of revamping a touring arena monitor rig for the next year or so of runs, but I am looking for some advice when it comes to large flown sidefill rigs.

Currently I am flying 4-6 D&B J8 or L-Acoustics Kudo per side over 1 or 2 subs on the deck. The stages are between 65'-95' wide.

The problem I am having is the interaction between sidefills and the 2 center vocal wedges. Obviously there is going to be some time delay issues between the 2. Any one have any experience overcoming this.

The problem is not bad when I can fly the sidefills at a decent trim height, but when the promoter sells out the side stage seats, I end up having to fly the sidefills a lot higher than I would prefer for sight line reasons(Artist would rather give the seating priority). Below is a rough stage plot of the current rig.

I have gotten the rig pretty dialed in, but I am looking for any little tips and tricks anyone in this situation might have.

Thanks in advance.
Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Jason Phair

• Marketplace
Re: Arena Monitor Rig w/ flown side fills
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 09:26:38 PM »

I am in the process of revamping a touring arena monitor rig for the next year or so of runs, but I am looking for some advice when it comes to large flown sidefill rigs.

Currently I am flying 4-6 D&B J8 or L-Acoustics Kudo per side over 1 or 2 subs on the deck. The stages are between 65'-95' wide.

The problem I am having is the interaction between sidefills and the 2 center vocal wedges. Obviously there is going to be some time delay issues between the 2. Any one have any experience overcoming this.

The problem is not bad when I can fly the sidefills at a decent trim height, but when the promoter sells out the side stage seats, I end up having to fly the sidefills a lot higher than I would prefer for sight line reasons(Artist would rather give the seating priority). Below is a rough stage plot of the current rig.

I have gotten the rig pretty dialed in, but I am looking for any little tips and tricks anyone in this situation might have.

Thanks in advance.

Four ARCs flown and turned on their side as a vertical array have always been my favourite SF setup, because you can make a very hard line either upstage or downstage where the you won't hear the horn anymore.  I haven't used the KUDO, but I am guessing you can use the louvers to shade the horn away from the DS line, keeping it clear of your DSC wedges. 

If that's over the top or cuts off any of your other DS dudes from what they need to be hearing, you can always use a little tie line to steer the SF arrays asymetrically, so the weird phasey interactive area is steered away from where your wedges are also pointing at.  (A smidge of delay on either side could have the same effect, and be more predictable in the steering).

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 09:55:30 PM »

Four ARCs flown and turned on their side as a vertical array have always been my favourite SF setup, because you can make a very hard line either upstage or downstage where the you won't hear the horn anymore.  I haven't used the KUDO, but I am guessing you can use the louvers to shade the horn away from the DS line, keeping it clear of your DSC wedges. 

If that's over the top or cuts off any of your other DS dudes from what they need to be hearing, you can always use a little tie line to steer the SF arrays asymetrically, so the weird phasey interactive area is steered away from where your wedges are also pointing at.  (A smidge of delay on either side could have the same effect, and be more predictable in the steering).

I have used a 2x2 block of arcs before, but next in a horizontal hang, might have to try that sometime. For this one I don't think it will have the horse power needed.

One more thing to add, there is only 1 person DS and the artist uses DS from SL to SR throughout the show, the second line of wedges and the upstage wedges are the rest of the band. The sidefills are used for DS only, the rest of the band does not rely on them. I do use the louvers to keep as much of a HF from the sidefills as far DS as possible. They actually work really well in a sidefill application @55* of coverage you can keep the sound where you want it, but there is a pretty significant bump in the 3K-6K range as one would expect.

Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 09:55:30 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.