ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EV QRx 115 with 4 ohm LF?  (Read 5740 times)

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
EV QRx 115 with 4 ohm LF?
« on: January 09, 2013, 06:54:52 PM »

I have owned (4) EV QRx 115's for 6+ years now.  These were purchased in pairs at different times.  I just noticed that one pair lists the LF as a 4 ohm load whereas the other lists it as 8 ohm.  I have been unable to find any documentation from EV that shows a 4 ohm LF on the QRx 115.  I called EV tech support and the person I spoke with was unable to tell me anything useful.  The 4 ohm pair was purchased new around 2006.

Does anyone know if this speaker does have a 4 ohm LF section or if this is just a typo? (see the attached image)

Testing the DC resistance directly on the driver shows ~4.8 ohm.  I did not think to measure the DC resistance of the driver in one that lists 8 ohms.  I'll do that tonight.

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
Re: EV QRx 115 with 4 ohm LF?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 07:29:52 PM »

Testing the DC resistance directly on the driver shows ~4.8 ohm.  I did not think to measure the DC resistance of the driver in one that lists 8 ohms.  I'll do that tonight.

If the DCR is greater than 4 ohms, then it's likely the driver is actually 8 ohms. I'll be curious to see what the other driver measures.
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 08:08:09 PM »

You disconnected one of the leads to the crossover before measuring, right?  Usually an 8 ohm driver has "roughly" 6 ohms DC resistance, and a 4 ohm driver has about 3.   4.8 seems a little odd.

-Dennis
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 08:10:08 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 12:07:34 AM »

I pulled apart one of my older boxes that lists 8 ohms on the back plate.  It reads ~4.7 ohm across the driver.

You disconnected one of the leads to the crossover before measuring, right?  Usually an 8 ohm driver has "roughly" 6 ohms DC resistance, and a 4 ohm driver has about 3.   4.8 seems a little odd.

Yes, I pulled one of the leads off when measuring the DC resistance.

I'm guessing that this is simply a typo on the back plate.  I don't have an easy way to test the impedance of the driver across the frequency spectrum so I'm going to trust my assumption.

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 12:57:11 AM »

Check the calibration of the Ohmmeter by measuring a known resistor.  Also check zero by shorting the test leads.

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 09:05:22 AM »

Check the calibration of the Ohmmeter by measuring a known resistor.  Also check zero by shorting the test leads.

I just checked a nominal 4Ω speaker here with a Fluke 79III digital meter.  On the regular autorange ohm scale, it reads 0.5Ω with the leads shorted, and 4.9Ω across the coil.  On the low ohms scale (0-40Ω), it reads 0.0Ω with the leads shorted, and 2.7Ω on the coil.

I tend to believe the low ohms scale on this meter, since it's giving the expected answer.  But this is a tricky measurement that most of us aren't properly equipped to do.  At least any meter should give you a relative reading between the different speakers, but an absolute measurement is trickier.

And as already mentioned, these are only DC resistances, not impedance.

GTD

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 07:23:32 PM »

After looking again at the picture of the backplate on the cab in question, I would also concur that it's a typo. Since in full range mode they list 8 ohms, it would be the same for the LF driver in biamp since the LF driver is usually the determining factor for impedance with a passively crossed box. That's definitely confusing.

Cameron Pro Audio

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 11:32:38 PM »

Testing against a loose 10 ohm 5% resistor, the meter reads 10.1
Shorting the test leads, the meter reads 0.2

After looking again at the picture of the backplate on the cab in question, I would also concur that it's a typo. Since in full range mode they list 8 ohms, it would be the same for the LF driver in biamp since the LF driver is usually the determining factor for impedance with a passively crossed box. That's definitely confusing.

Good point. 

I sometimes use one daisy-chained off of another when in a wide venue.  They are powered by a QSC PL236 which is stable down to 2 ohms so it shouldn't be an issue either way.  I have not noticed a difference in the sound of the two when arrayed next to each other.  I'm assuming the LF on the 4 ohm box would be a bit louder if it were indeed 4 ohms.

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 12:53:39 PM »

I'm assuming the LF on the 4 ohm box would be a bit louder if it were indeed 4 ohms.

All things being equal as far as sensitivity between a 4 & 8 ohm driver of the same model, The 4 ohm version would be 3dB louder since it's sourcing twice the current of the 8 ohm version. That would mean twice the wattage dissipated yielding 3dB more output.

Cameron Pro Audio

Ryan Grandusky

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 07:43:07 PM »

It is an 8ohm LF driver, the 4ohm is a misprint on the box itself I have several of the QRX115 cabs and one set has the 4ohm rating on the back same as in your picture. I have confirmed this with Electrovoice.
Ryan "Squirrel" Grandusky
Sound Provider in Central Texas.
Speakers: RCF HDL6a, NX-L44a, 8006-AS, EV XLD281, QRX153, QRX115, ZX1, SB122, XSUBS, JBL PRX835w, SRX828SP, Yorkville LS2100P, EAW SM200, Macpherson M12P, Yamaha A12M.
Consoles: Digico SD12, SD11, Soundcraft Si Perf 1, Exp 3, Comp 24, Midas M32, Presonus SL 32SX, SL 16r, Mackie DL1608

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 07:43:07 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.