ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help w/ finding a small mixer  (Read 5848 times)

BillRobison

Help w/ finding a small mixer
« on: January 08, 2013, 12:34:23 PM »

I am looking for a simple non powered mixer which has at least 12 mic inputs and some sort of graphic EQ on the output(s). We do several rentals each year to high schools/churches that include a small sound system and have around 8-  wireless mics. These are usually lavaiere mics and having some sort of eq on the main outputs is helpful. We used to use powered mixers but now that we have powered speakers we want to add some non powered  mixers into our rental inventory. I have looked at Behringer, Mackie, Soundcraft, Allen & Heath, & Yamaha. The A & H PA-20 seems the best option w/ 4- EQ filters w/ adjustable freq. on the outputs. Any suggestions would be helpful. Simple is the key. We will be renting these to non experienced folks who will just be confused by too many features. 

Jared Koopman

Re: Help w/ finding a small mixer
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 01:16:25 PM »

I am looking for a simple non powered mixer which has at least 12 mic inputs and some sort of graphic EQ on the output(s). We do several rentals each year to high schools/churches that include a small sound system and have around 8-  wireless mics. These are usually lavaiere mics and having some sort of eq on the main outputs is helpful. We used to use powered mixers but now that we have powered speakers we want to add some non powered  mixers into our rental inventory. I have looked at Behringer, Mackie, Soundcraft, Allen & Heath, & Yamaha. The A & H PA-20 seems the best option w/ 4- EQ filters w/ adjustable freq. on the outputs. Any suggestions would be helpful. Simple is the key. We will be renting these to non experienced folks who will just be confused by too many features.

Have you considered the A&H MixWizard?

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 03:01:16 PM »

I'm not familiar with a unpowered analog desk that has graphic eq on the outputs.  I'd recommend you consider using external 31 band graphics if you want output eq.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 03:19:04 PM »

I think you don't really mean GEQ on the outputs.  You're looking for something with a pretty fair channel strip EQ to take care of the lavs and asking for a 4-band EQ......which I would normally recommend.  However, if you're also requiring simplicity of operation for inexperienced users, I'd think you might want to consider a 3 band EQ section enough.  Easier to explain low/mid/hi to a total newb than dual, sweepable mids.

Just thinking about your end users.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 04:16:51 PM »

I am looking for a simple non powered mixer which has at least 12 mic inputs and some sort of graphic EQ on the output(s).

Not that I'm recommending them (I own a couple) but Mackie's ProFX (formerly CFX) series has a marginally useful eq on it.  Also has a simple onboard effects engine.  Personally I've always wished the EQ were bypassable.
This space for rent

Chris Lynch

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 05:43:26 PM »

I would have said Yamaha O1V. You might find the user will be scared off it because its digital but if you set it up essentially they could just push faders up and down.

There is no graphic eq but the outputs do have 4 band parametric eq on them. You can pick them up 2nd hand quite cheaply.

I put one in a school a few years ago, I did a training session with one of the music teachers and some of the older students and they love it. Its about the cheapest thing you can get with FX, dynamics etc... all built in and you can recall scenes so if someone mess's with it you can just recall your set-up.

BillRobison

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 06:27:01 PM »

Have you considered the A&H MixWizard?

No because it does not offer any EQ on the outputs. The A & H  PA series is the only product I am able to find they offer that does have EQ on the outs.

But thanks for the suggestion

BillRobison

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 06:33:07 PM »

I'm not familiar with a unpowered analog desk that has graphic eq on the outputs.  I'd recommend you consider using external 31 band graphics if you want output eq.

We have 31 band EQs in our inventory but I want to keep the system as simple as possible.
Adding outboard EQ just complicates the pachage.

BillRobison

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 06:38:56 PM »

I think you don't really mean GEQ on the outputs.  You're looking for something with a pretty fair channel strip EQ to take care of the lavs and asking for a 4-band EQ......which I would normally recommend.  However, if you're also requiring simplicity of operation for inexperienced users, I'd think you might want to consider a 3 band EQ section enough.  Easier to explain low/mid/hi to a total newb than dual, sweepable mids.

Just thinking about your end users.

A graphic EQ on the outputs would be fine. Almost everything I have looked at has at least 3 band EQ on the input strips and most have a mid sweep. The LAV rental systems are just one use we would have for the these small mixers. The A & H PA series I mentioned has 4- variable freq. filters on ea. of 2- outputs.  Thanks for the comment.

BillRobison

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 06:46:07 PM »

Not that I'm recommending them (I own a couple) but Mackie's ProFX (formerly CFX) series has a marginally useful eq on it.  Also has a simple onboard effects engine.  Personally I've always wished the EQ were bypassable.

The ProFX16 is in the running but I'm afraid it has a few more bells and whistles than I think my customer could handle. The sub-groups will confuse them and it has the standard Mackie quota of B.P.I. (buttons per inch) that puts me off a bit.

Thanks for the suggestion.

BillRobison

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 06:55:00 PM »

I would have said Yamaha O1V. You might find the user will be scared off it because its digital but if you set it up essentially they could just push faders up and down.

There is no graphic eq but the outputs do have 4 band parametric eq on them. You can pick them up 2nd hand quite cheaply.

I put one in a school a few years ago, I did a training session with one of the music teachers and some of the older students and they love it. Its about the cheapest thing you can get with FX, dynamics etc... all built in and you can recall scenes so if someone mess's with it you can just recall your set-up.

Thanks for the suggestion but an O1V is not an option. I picked up the pieces from too many disasters where an O1V was installed and the customer was unnable to get any sound out of the system. I know of one school where the 2- O1V mixers that were part of their theater/auditorium permanent installation have been replaced by a Behringer because a disaster ocurred when no one could get any sound out of the system because some started pushing buttons. Their O1V's are collecting dust in the stroage room over their booth. 

James A. Griffin

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 02:33:40 PM »

Mackie DL1608 has all you're looking for and is very easy to use, even for those unfamiliar with digital mixers.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 04:56:40 PM »

If it was me, I'd go for the 01V, but since that doesn't seem to be a viable option, what about one of these?

http://www.peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/701/116919/XR%26nbsp%3B1212

It has amplifiers built in, but if you don't tell the renter about them, they probably won't figure out what the Speakon connectors are for anyway.  Personally, I've been nothing but frustrated when I had to use a 9-band GEQ, but if that's what your customers expect, this thing meets spec.

GTD

BillRobison

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 05:29:24 PM »

Mackie DL1608 has all you're looking for and is very easy to use, even for those unfamiliar with digital mixers.

I thank everyone for their suggestions. This forum is a great tool to get help from others in the industry.

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 11:26:47 AM »

I never think of Carvin because they're rare around here, but somebody was selling one on the local kijiji, and it happens to have a 9-band EQ built in.  Checking Carvin's site, they're even cheaper than a used 01V.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/C1240

It might be more complicated than you need, but at least the main outputs are XLR, so you can just send mic cables for hookup.

GTD

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 11:26:47 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 24 queries.