ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A defective X32, no big deal, but strange  (Read 14613 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: A defective X32
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 12:35:42 PM »

I have the same feelings as others - This is one out of what, thousands? (Obviously I don't have exact numbers). Add to that the apparent response from Behringer as soon as it was brought to their attention, I'd say this is a non-issue at this time.

I wonder about failure rates for other manufacturers... With Behringer a large number of people aren't as fair as JR and have been looking left-and-right for any failure they can find and then exploit with the X32... A smaller company which is just starting out a new direct-contact support system as well... Other manufacturers (Yamaha, Presonus, Roland, etc) didn't exactly have the "stigma" that Behringer did from the start, what's to say those mfgrs haven't had more failures per-cap than Behringer but we don't hear about them as much because more users of the "more expensive" crowd start out by contacting the mfgr first instead of going to Youtube video before giving the mfgr a chance to fix anything?
There is reason that Behringer has a "stigma" and they earned that by past behavior.

Add to that, any success in the value area caries with it negativity associated with the low priced product segment (trust me to know about this).

As I've noted before, if they had major manufacturing or build quality problems they would not have accumulated the war chest that allowed them to buy the premium badges, or invest in their production equipment.

Every day is a new opportunity to be a new improved company to new customers, the old timers (like me) in most cases are a lost cause so not worth the effort to try to convert.

This is nothing new and winners get to write their own history. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try to keep them honest, but this doesn't require being nasty or deceptive, even if the PR spin is hard to swallow sometimes. In the area of merchandising exaggeration and hyperbole are expected.

Just my $0.02... And before you ask no I'm not a Behringer fanboy (I cringed every time my employer got another piece of equipment with that name on it) but I am excited to give this a shot because it should mark at least a partial change in Behringer's history.

I am just keeping it real... I have a somewhat more developed perspective about how things work inside the business, so i try to separate fact from myth (aka PR) when it is dominating a conversation.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 01:31:09 PM »

My intent here was not to pound the shit out of Uli and crew. My intent was to point to a failure that I thought was pretty strange to say the least. So in my book, end of subject as I have not seen any huge number of complaints or hate letters concerning the X32. I would have to wonder if anyone else had seen this issue or if it's a one of a kind. OK, you can all refuckinglax now.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Lance Richens

Re: A defective X32, no big deal, but strange
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 09:39:04 PM »

FWIW, my x32 has the same issue. Something is obviously loose inside. Chase had Fedex pick it up yesterday & it's on it's way to Vegas.....
Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart.....

Mark Phillips

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 10:26:26 PM »

I had a flying fader issue and it was addressed promptly, no deal breaker and I am very relaxed. Great service so far.

Chris Clark

• Jack of many trades, Master of few.
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 10:37:46 AM »

I apologize if my comments came across this way, but it was not my intention to seem as though I was accusing anyone here of pushing an anti-Behringer agenda.

I agree JR, Behringer does have a stigma about them, and I can't read your mind nor have I been in the business nearly long enough to know what all those reasons are, but I have done enough reading and have some experience to see some reasons that I gave them that stigma early on.

I do have a legitimate wonder as to whether the difference in both Behringer's previous reliability and their typical clientele is skewing the perceived failure rates of the X32 versus the perceived failure rates of other digital consoles for the reasons I mentioned before, and this was brought on by what I take issue with most in the post Bob brought to our attention - I can understand the poster's frustration with a malfunction, but instead of contacting Behringer about the issue (and this is where I draw my comparison because I feel like most users of brands like Yamaha, Roland, even Midas, would contact the mfgrs first) he makes a very aggravated sounding video about the issue.

I'm not saying the video is uncalled for, but under different circumstances it would show less of a... for lack of a better term, distaste... for Behringer. Perhaps if he had contacted Behringer first and secured the RMA or whatnot and THEN made a video bringing the issue to our attention as more of a heads up than the "I hated Behringer before, and now this proves why" vibe that I get from the video and post.

Again, my $0.02 about the video.. I'm going to have to stop commenting - I'm running out of money!
Technical Services Coordinator
Entertainment System Designer
Darien Lake Theme Park, Darien Center NY

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 11:17:55 AM »

I apologize if my comments came across this way, but it was not my intention to seem as though I was accusing anyone here of pushing an anti-Behringer agenda.

I agree JR, Behringer does have a stigma about them, and I can't read your mind nor have I been in the business nearly long enough to know what all those reasons are, but I have done enough reading and have some experience to see some reasons that I gave them that stigma early on.
My reasons are not secret, but no I will not swing at that slow fat pitch over the middle of the plate. I don't feel like teaching history to disinterested students this morning.
I do have a legitimate wonder as to whether the difference in both Behringer's previous reliability and their typical clientele is skewing the perceived failure rates of the X32 versus the perceived failure rates of other digital consoles
It is too soon for the x32 to have a reliability record, but reports of early/infant failures seem modest if they have shipped as many units as has been reported.
for the reasons I mentioned before, and this was brought on by what I take issue with most in the post Bob brought to our attention - I can understand the poster's frustration with a malfunction, but instead of contacting Behringer about the issue (and this is where I draw my comparison because I feel like most users of brands like Yamaha, Roland, even Midas, would contact the mfgrs first) he makes a very aggravated sounding video about the issue.
Behringer is not the only company where customers take their grievances to the Internet. Uli has brought some of the recent traffic on himself with his personal charm campaign. Some customers correctly perceive they will get attention by being a squeaky wheel on a public forum where they think Uli might be watching. His service representatives surely are.

Some customers just take on a victim mentality and want to sing "poor pitiful me" in public.
I'm not saying the video is uncalled for, but under different circumstances it would show less of a... for lack of a better term, distaste... for Behringer. Perhaps if he had contacted Behringer first and secured the RMA or whatnot and THEN made a video bringing the issue to our attention as more of a heads up than the "I hated Behringer before, and now this proves why" vibe that I get from the video and post.
Fir the record I did not watch the video and have no desire to. perhaps it was about getting attention for the poster. All of our relationships are influenced by previous experience. Some companies have lost significant sales to the X32, in an already weak market, so there are surely lots of bad feeling going around. Many competitors want to see Uli stumble (I am speculating, but it is a pretty safe guess). 
Again, my $0.02 about the video.. I'm going to have to stop commenting - I'm running out of money!
I'm not running out of opinions.

JR

PS: I would have never heard about this video if folks didn't complain about it here. Some things are better ignored, I still am.. 
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Mike Diack

• Auckland, New Zealand.
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 05:24:15 PM »

My intent here was not to pound the shit out of Uli and crew. My intent was to point to a failure that I thought was pretty strange to say the least. So in my book, end of subject as I have not seen any huge number of complaints or hate letters concerning the X32. I would have to wonder if anyone else had seen this issue or if it's a one of a kind. OK, you can all refuckinglax now.
Had a defective Vi6 today. I guess paying 20 times as much for your digimixer doesn't guarantee perfection :-)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 05:59:43 PM »

Nothing is immune to failure regardless of price. Is it under warranty, and how long will it take to get parts and fix it. Those are the real life questions. Power distribution board??
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 06:04:03 PM »

Had a defective Vi6 today. I guess paying 20 times as much for your digimixer doesn't guarantee perfection :-)

Apple used to use those same connectors in their NuBus based Macs. They were pretty decent connectors but it was possible to have a bent pin double up in a socket hole with another. Was this one of those instances or was it a downstream short causing too much current to pass though the connector?
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Mike Diack

• Auckland, New Zealand.
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 07:18:17 PM »

Apple used to use those same connectors in their NuBus based Macs. They were pretty decent connectors but it was possible to have a bent pin double up in a socket hole with another. Was this one of those instances or was it a downstream short causing too much current to pass though the connector?
The pins in the burned up male connector were all dead straight so I don't think bending/doubling was an issue. When I fitted the new backplane & power distro board, I checked the cards one at a time and none were defective so I'm guessing contamination within the board itself gradually turning into a conductive path (seen this befiore in UK BSS/C-Audio stuff - same PCB maker?) - any guesses as to cause simply that - guesses.
All fixed.
M

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 07:18:17 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 23 queries.