ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A defective X32, no big deal, but strange  (Read 14617 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
A defective X32, no big deal, but strange
« on: January 08, 2013, 04:07:19 AM »

Who would have ever thought we might see a defective X32. No big deal here but the defect is strange to say the least.

From another site......

"After only 26 gigs under her belt my X32 is defective. In the middle of a show I pushed a business card under the console. I touched the board and pickup it up by about an inch. Thats when all hell broke lose.
Comps and Gates go into full protect mode and once the console is moved the gates stay in full so no audio passes or registers on the meters. I quickly restarted the board and everything was back to normal. Now at the end of my gig I pulled out all the XLRs and firewire and switched the edison cable. Same problem. But this time i had no audience so I let the board just do its thing. After about 30 seconds the L:R main buss makes the most awful noise and it was Full LEFT then Full RIGHT.
I took videos of all of this and am taking it back to the place I bought it.... "
not happy...

http://youtu.be/aYX0HxAPiP4

http://youtu.be/iD16b3_UPzM
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 05:21:47 PM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jim Turner

• Calgary, Alberta... Canada eh!
Re: A defective X32
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 04:53:18 AM »

Who would have ever thought we might see a defective X32.

From another site......

"After only 26 gigs under her belt my X32 is defective. In the middle of a show I pushed a business card under the console. I touched the board and pickup it up by about an inch. Thats when all hell broke lose.
Comps and Gates go into full protect mode and once the console is moved the gates stay in full so no audio passes or registers on the meters. I quickly restarted the board and everything was back to normal. Now at the end of my gig I pulled out all the XLRs and firewire and switched the edison cable. Same problem. But this time i had no audience so I let the board just do its thing. After about 30 seconds the L:R main buss makes the most awful noise and it was Full LEFT then Full RIGHT.
I took videos of all of this and am taking it back to the place I bought it.... "
not happy...

If I may quote Nelson Muntz.... HA HA!
it's working on it's own...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 05:03:18 AM by cyriljamesturner »
smile & wave...

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 08:23:32 AM »

I suspect they've sold "a few", too...

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 09:20:19 AM »

Well, at least they overnighted a new desk from Uli's Las Vegas depot as soon as they saw the post.
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 10:19:09 AM »

From another site......

not happy...

I am not sure what your point is, and I really don't enjoy defending "them", but they have reportedly shipped 20k units, so unless you have reports of thousands of such failures, this is a non-event.

So far the only apparent design/build flaw I've read about, relates to an internal cable that picks up noise and steps on the noise floor, if not dressed properly away from clock noise. I would take the wild guess that they have corrected this in new builds.

So it appears to have survived the initial roll-out. The vote is still out on how well they hold up in regular use, but we'll learn about that over time.

JR

Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 10:36:15 AM »

I am not sure what your point is, and I really don't enjoy defending "them", but they have reportedly shipped 20k units, so unless you have reports of thousands of such failures, this is a non-event.

So far the only apparent design/build flaw I've read about, relates to an internal cable that picks up noise and steps on the noise floor, if not dressed properly away from clock noise. I would take the wild guess that they have corrected this in new builds.

So it appears to have survived the initial roll-out. The vote is still out on how well they hold up in regular use, but we'll learn about that over time.

JR

John, I know it's been mentioned before but I really think you deserve a medal for the grace and restraint you've shown during this whole X32 craze. In an industry that is typically full of fan-bois and haters, your ability to put aside bias and previous affiliations is nothing short of commendable.

That said, this particular instance is kind of old news Bob. There have been a few reported failures, Behringer seems to be pretty aggressive in righting these situations. No idea what percentage of total volume these failures represent, I don't think it would be a very high number.

The future is going to be interesting...
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Mark Long

• Dayton, OH
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 11:17:51 AM »

John, I know it's been mentioned before but I really think you deserve a medal for the grace and restraint you've shown during this whole X32 craze. In an industry that is typically full of fan-bois and haters, your ability to put aside bias and previous affiliations is nothing short of commendable.
Well said.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 11:45:00 AM »

i ordered two x32s a few months ago.  one had a bad scribble strip led that i ignored and then it developed an intermittent problem in one of the group bank faders.

i contacted the retailer i purchased it from and it was replaced.

this was a non-event as far as i was concerned.  it's a brand-new product.  i had a minor issue.  it was taken care of.  my retailer told me mine was the first one they've had any issue with and i believe him.  my opinion of this console remains unchanged.  that is, it is a great value for the money that may hold up well over time or may not.  we won't know until there has been, well, actual time.  i've currently got 3 Yamaha 02/r's [first generation] and 4 Yamaha 01v96s in constant use.  they all have thousands of hours on them.  and most of them have minor issues.  they've still been excellent values.  we'll see how the x32 fares in comparison.

and my kudos to JR as well.  his reasoned responses to this products rollout have been a very welcome perspective provider.  thanks for that....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 11:58:56 AM »

JR doesn't blush, but you guys can stop now.

I'm not dead yet so save the kind words for my eulogy, and no hurry on that.  :-)

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Chris Clark

• Jack of many trades, Master of few.
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 12:01:45 PM »

I have the same feelings as others - This is one out of what, thousands? (Obviously I don't have exact numbers). Add to that the apparent response from Behringer as soon as it was brought to their attention, I'd say this is a non-issue at this time.

I wonder about failure rates for other manufacturers... With Behringer a large number of people aren't as fair as JR and have been looking left-and-right for any failure they can find and then exploit with the X32... A smaller company which is just starting out a new direct-contact support system as well... Other manufacturers (Yamaha, Presonus, Roland, etc) didn't exactly have the "stigma" that Behringer did from the start, what's to say those mfgrs haven't had more failures per-cap than Behringer but we don't hear about them as much because more users of the "more expensive" crowd start out by contacting the mfgr first instead of going to Youtube video before giving the mfgr a chance to fix anything?

Just my $0.02... And before you ask no I'm not a Behringer fanboy (I cringed every time my employer got another piece of equipment with that name on it) but I am excited to give this a shot because it should mark at least a partial change in Behringer's history.
Technical Services Coordinator
Entertainment System Designer
Darien Lake Theme Park, Darien Center NY

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 12:01:45 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.