ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mackie DL1608 Mixer recording  (Read 27079 times)

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
Mackie DL1608 Mixer recording
« on: January 06, 2013, 07:56:27 PM »

It seems that the record feature on the DL1608 saves the .wav file INSIDE the APP.  I suppose this is the way APPs work, there is no access to a common files system.  The manual is not very clear on this but does seem to imply that the wav file can be opened with an editor of your choice. 

My question is: can this be done totally within the iPad or must the data file be exported into another computer via iTunes  and then edited there (and NOT in the iPad)?

« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 07:57:59 PM by Pete Erskine »
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Mackie DL1608 Mixer recording
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 08:05:46 PM »

It seems that the record feature on the DL1608 saves the .wav file INSIDE the APP.  I suppose this is the way APPs work, there is no access to a common files system.  The manual is not very clear on this but does seem to imply that the wav file can be opened with an editor of your choice. 

My question is: can this be done totally within the iPad or must the data file be exported into another computer via iTunes  and then edited there (and NOT in the iPad)?

Pete.......

My bet is that good ol' APPle will lock it down as tightly as possible so you have to kowtow and buy more of their "gifts to humanity".  Then when the glitches show up, you can avail yourself of their "service and support" by being told to buy another, newer device.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 08:43:18 PM »

Pete.......

My bet is that good ol' APPle will lock it down as tightly as possible so you have to kowtow and buy more of their "gifts to humanity".  Then when the glitches show up, you can avail yourself of their "service and support" by being told to buy another, newer device.

Oh no.  Another OSist...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Re: Re: Mackie DL1608 Mixer recording
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 08:52:01 PM »

Unless the app has an option to send the file to another app, which some apps have and some don't, and you have another app that will accept a .wav file (idk if garage band will our not) there isn't a way to do it on the iPad.

You could jailbreak it and use iFile to move the file somewhere useful.. But that's hit or miss too.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 03:01:53 AM »

Oh no.  Another OSist...

Not so much as "OSist" (love that, BTW) as it is "why is my audio stuck in here?"  If the app won't let it out, it's badly written.  If it's a device/OS issue, I'd say Mr. Rees has a legitimate complaint.

I use Linux (Ubuntu, Suse), Windows (98se, XP Pro, Win 7 all flavors) and Mac 10.whatever.  They all have their own hardware/executable annoyances and ways of doing things that seem counter-intuitive to me.  That I must use at least 2 of them to get work done is not a hindrance, but I can't toast in my coffee maker, and Mr. Coffee doesn't grok Pop Tarts, either.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
Re: Mackie DL1608 Mixer recording - NOT!
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 09:17:06 AM »

What a bummer...

This is something I tried to find out in advance but none of the Mackie literature (except the detailed in depth manual) makes it clear. 

1 - Recordings on the DL1608 are not accessible until they are downloaded into a separate computer via iTunes.  Basically it makes the record feature almost totally useless.

2 - You cannot playback from the iPad from within the DL1608 control panel and never when you are recording.  The playback control on the DL1608 is any audio which would normally come out of the speaker on the iPad so to do playback you must select another app, like itunes and start the playback, then go back into the DL1608 panel to control it.

A simple solution would have been to build into the app a simple instant replay functionality. 

With all the bells and whistles the mixer has, this lack of record/Playback capability makes it unusable for my purposes.  I am returning it.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 09:20:04 AM by Pete Erskine »
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 09:26:31 AM »

What a bummer...

This is something I tried to find out in advance but none of the Mackie literature (except the detailed in depth manual) makes it clear. 

1 - Recordings on the DL1608 are not accessible until they are downloaded into a separate computer via iTunes.  Basically it makes the record feature almost totally useless.

2 - You cannot playback from the iPad from within the DL1608 control panel and never when you are recording.  The playback control on the DL1608 is any audio which would normally come out of the speaker on the iPad so to do playback you must select another app, like itunes and start the playback, then go back into the DL1608 panel to control it.

A simple solution would have been to build into the app a simple instant replay functionality. 

With all the bells and whistles the mixer has, this lack of record/Playback capability makes it unusable for my purposes.  I am returning it.

Yup.  I returned an iPad for essentially the same reason.  If you want to use that stuff for whatever use you have to leave all your "doors open" to the corporation to get whatever (limited) level of functionality they've deigned to include.

iTunes sucks.  APPle Corp sucks.  They could be making useful stuff without wanting to move into the room next door.......

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 02:16:59 PM »

Yes, Dick.

My personal opinion of Apple was formed based on a personal conversation with a now-dead Apple executive, held in Cupertino about 20 years ago.

I won't spend my own or employer's money on Apple products unless they are, and will continue to be, the sole source of a solution to a vexing problem.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 02:23:36 PM »

Yes, Dick.

My personal opinion of Apple was formed based on a personal conversation with a now-dead Apple executive, held in Cupertino about 20 years ago.

I won't spend my own or employer's money on Apple products unless they are, and will continue to be, the sole source of a solution to a vexing problem.

"Don't think twice....it's alright."

.....Bob Dylan

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 03:40:03 PM »

iTunes sucks.  APPle Corp sucks.  They could be making useful stuff without wanting to move into the room next door.......

In this case it is not Apple's fault at all. IOS totally has the capibility to make this work. It is Mackies fault for their poor implementation and programming.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 03:40:03 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.