ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DRPA Full Range but Three Way Configuration...  (Read 5518 times)

John Woodfield

• Lab Lounge
DRPA Full Range but Three Way Configuration...
« on: January 06, 2013, 08:59:28 AM »

Currently I am using my DRPA to crossover my subs and run my TOA HX-5's out of the high in full range then crossing over. This week I'm adding side fill speakers. Is it possible to run the DRPA in three-way mode but run both the mid and high outputs full range and cross them over on the low end?

I already have the DRPA split so I can aux-feed my subs so I can't split the high out.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: DRPA Full Range but Three Way Configuration...
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 07:40:12 PM »

Not 100% certain on what you mean, but I do know that you can pretty much set any crossover point you want for each band in the DRPA.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

John Woodfield

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 08:47:06 PM »

Not 100% certain on what you mean, but I do know that you can pretty much set any crossover point you want for each band in the DRPA.

To Simplify, I want to output full range on both the high and mid outputs.

Tom Burgess

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 08:54:11 PM »

I was a little confused by the OP as well.  Although I haven't done this personally I know that you can setup a 2X3 config, run the Low Out and High Out as a 2-Way, then use the Mid Out as a full range by setting the X-over, HPF, and LPF accordingly.  I've seen the setup over at the dbxpro.com forum but have never implemented it so my apologies for that probably not being terribly clear.  You might check over there for the specifics.
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 08:57:54 PM »

To Simplify, I want to output full range on both the high and mid outputs.

I believe all you have to do is configure it that way.  I've avoided using these units for a long time now, but I did have one or two of them when they first came out>

You should be able to set your cross-over points on the "mids" and "highs" to be the same thing.  I take it you're using one of the L/R inputs for your aux-fed subs and the other for the mono feed to your tops.  The "mid/high" designation should be more to keep track of your signal chain than "just mids" and "just highs". 

Edit:

Looking at the DRPA "features" tab on their website, there are 2x3, 2x4, 2x5 and 2x6 crossover configurations all set up for you.  Go by these, pick the one you need and forget about the labels on the output other than for nominal reference.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 09:21:44 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Eric Valenzuela

• http://www.betamaxxband.com
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 04:09:03 PM »

Currently I am using my DRPA to crossover my subs and run my TOA HX-5's out of the high in full range then crossing over. This week I'm adding side fill speakers. Is it possible to run the DRPA in three-way mode but run both the mid and high outputs full range and cross them over on the low end?

I already have the DRPA split so I can aux-feed my subs so I can't split the high out.

Not sure what kind of mixer you have, but I typically do this using a sub out directly from the mixer, so I don't even have to mess with my DRPA.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 05:20:38 PM »

When you say
 " I already have the DRPA split so I can aux-feed my subs so I can't split the high out." could you explain this a little more?
I owned a DRPA and a Drive Rack 260. I do know you can make any output full range out or act as a midrange or sub out or high (horn) out.
Unless you use the mono sub configure setup.

I am guessing your running the DRPA with mono signals. One input is fed from your aux and the other input is fed from maybe left out from your mixer?
If you have it set up as 2X3 the three outputs fed from your aux can be setup any way you want it. The 3 outputs fed from your Left on your mixer can be setup as well any way you want them.
I believe your asking can you have 3 outputs fed from your Left input setup for say 100hz and below taken out and 100hz and above going out of them. You'll just have to set up the low cut filters and eq/delay/level adjustments on these 3 outputs.

Am I close?

Douglas R. Allen

duane massey

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 01:41:55 AM »

Unless I am mistaken in the 2x2 or 2x3 configuration the settings are linked on L&R outs. You can't set the L mid out, for example, differently than the R mid out, and same for other L&R outs. That's one of the drawbacks to the DRPA, it is pretty limited in the ability to set up configurations other than standard 2x3, 2x2, 1x4, 1x5, 1x6 arrangements.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 03:53:37 AM »

What the OP is attempting to do here is find an easy way to run more cabinets than the DRPA is actually designed to run in full range mode, probably to use the DRPA features for the additional cabinets as well. With the 480 or 4800 direct connections are made using a "wire", or no crossover at all, and directing an input to an output with whatever you want in between. I think you can also do this with a 260 but don't remember. In any case the DRPA is cheap enough the proper way to accomplish the goal would be to buy a second DRPA, or bypass the DRPA, run the second set of cabinets full range, and use an outboard EQ for them. Of course the subs would be run through the DRPA as well. This is the way I ran a dual system for years with no loss in sonic quality. Eventually I ran a pair of 260s, then a 480, now a 4800 and the 260 for additional monitors.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

John Woodfield

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 05:25:28 AM »

What the OP is attempting to do here is find an easy way to run more cabinets than the DRPA is actually designed to run in full range mode, probably to use the DRPA features for the additional cabinets as well. With the 480 or 4800 direct connections are made using a "wire", or no crossover at all, and directing an input to an output with whatever you want in between. I think you can also do this with a 260 but don't remember. In any case the DRPA is cheap enough the proper way to accomplish the goal would be to buy a second DRPA, or bypass the DRPA, run the second set of cabinets full range, and use an outboard EQ for them. Of course the subs would be run through the DRPA as well. This is the way I ran a dual system for years with no loss in sonic quality. Eventually I ran a pair of 260s, then a 480, now a 4800 and the 260 for additional monitors.

I will report back when I've played with it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 05:25:28 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 25 queries.