ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: One month with the JBL PRX 625  (Read 13204 times)

Tom Burgess

Re: One month with the JBL PRX 625
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 06:33:49 PM »

We had the older model, the PRX535. I have to say I was not a fan of the sound. They have a lightweight plastic cabinet and they sound like it. The shape makes them awkward to move and awkward to stow in the truck. I replaced them with a pair of DIY cabs which have some design flaws, but on balance they're more satisfactory than the PRX's.

The convenience of powered speakers is an illusion, IMO. You have to run two cables to each box instead of one, and there's no modularity if something fails.
If you had plastic 535's then somebody sold you some knockoff's.
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 06:43:09 PM »

If you had plastic 535's then somebody sold you some knockoff's.

Don't argue with Fenris.  He's come here to enlighten all of us with his amazing technical knowledge.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Spenser Hamilton

One month with the JBL PRX 625
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 08:30:03 PM »

Where do I purchase these plastic PRX cabs?
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Fenris Wulf

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 12:37:41 PM »

My mistake, I didn't know they had plywood inside! In any case, I didn't like the sound of them. They have plenty of HF extension but it has kind of a, I don't know, plastic quality.

cliff truesdell

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 02:49:36 AM »

Apparently, the noted problem of the resistors on the power amp circuit board burning up was the problem.

Those problems happened on hot summer days, the current month has been cold(er). So who knows if the PRX won't have problems on 100+ degree days again. OTOH, I've used them for several gigs in addition to Festival of Lights now and they seem to work fine.
cheers,
Randy Hyde

We almost made it out this year to the Festival of Lights. My wife's sister loves this event and walks around singing Christmas carols. If I would have known a fellow forum member was there I would have made a point to stop by and say hi.
I'm in OC. Anywhoo, if you want to hear what those 625's sound like with a pair of VRX918SP's I will bring them out sometime. Very close to the 618 XLF's.

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 10:06:24 AM »

My mistake, I didn't know they had plywood inside! In any case, I didn't like the sound of them. They have plenty of HF extension but it has kind of a, I don't know, plastic quality.

You have to understand that it's really hard to place any weight in your opinions when you make statements such as this. Please oblige us be defining this so called "plastic quality"...
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Scott Bolt

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 08:38:41 PM »

I'm in OC. Anywhoo, if you want to hear what those 625's sound like with a pair of VRX918SP's I will bring them out sometime. Very close to the 618 XLF's.
I am guessing it sounds pretty $$%%^&& good ;)

I have never A/B'd the VRX and XLF, but considering that they have the same driver, it is not surprising that they sound close.

The VRX diminsions are a bit different than the XLF and the amp module is more powerful (1500W vs 1000W).

I have a feeling that the SPL is very close, although it is difficult to tell from the specs since they are not measured the same (and on paper the XLF has more SPL which doesn't seem likely).

I suspect that the limiters are set very close to the same and that the only reason a 1500W amp module is included in the VRX is to increase reliability (keep the heat down) by ensuring that the amp module is not stressed that much.

Randall Hyde

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 05:52:19 PM »

if you want to hear what those 625's sound like with a pair of VRX918SP's I will bring them out sometime. Very close to the 618 XLF's.
Hey, I'm using a pair of Mpro 418s driven by a Crown XTi 4000. While the XLFs have a little less power, I expect four XLFs to blow away the 418s cabinets, even being driven by 1,200 watts.

FWIW, the 418s makes a great DJ sub and a terrible live audio sub.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 05:52:19 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.