ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Guitar Idiot - '65 Gibson ES335 Destroyed on plane (in original case)  (Read 10643 times)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
Re: Guitar Idiot - '65 Gibson ES335 Destroyed on plane (in original case)
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 01:22:33 PM »

Here is an update to the story:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/delta-gibson-guitar-schneider-leevees-zambonis-203119266.html

From the article: "Delta also gave him a pair of free vouchers for future flights."

Watch for them on Craigslist. If I were him, I wouldn't fly on Delta again if they paid me to.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 01:31:28 PM »

What, no clever song and cute YouTube video?

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 09:28:11 PM »

I'll be sure to let the Gibson folks know at NAMM this is encouraging stupid behavior. Fix his guitar, yes. And then send him a frick'in Epiphone back.

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 09:40:04 PM »

I'll be sure to let the Gibson folks know at NAMM this is encouraging stupid behavior. Fix his guitar, yes. And then send him a frick'in Epiphone back.

LOL!  Awesome!

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 08:27:39 AM »

Ned, I don't think I'd be so harsh on him.  According to the original article, he tried to buy a seat for the axe, and was refused.
1) Screw Delta
2) Praise Gibson
3) Give the Delta vouchers to the most obnoxious person you know.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 11:26:29 AM »

Chris -

the original article (from his POV) never pointed out if an extra seat was available. My whole point is that this guitar player's behavior is idiotic - traveling with a vintage guitar without a proper flight case (or purchasing a seat for it when he booked his flights) is just plain dumb. Delta did the right thing by paying for damages and vouchers; while it's great Gibson offered to fix up his vintage 335, I don't like that they are in effect encouraging stupid behavior.

It's akin to me bringing my 65 showman head on board with just the dust cover, finding out that there's no room in the overheads, and being surprised when my vintage amp head is destroyed in baggage. Just because he never had a problem before doesn't mean he shouldn't be prepared for it. I stand by my point -- Gibson is encouraging more stupid reckless people to travel with vintage gear totally unprepared for it.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 03:32:11 PM »

Chris -

the original article (from his POV) never pointed out if an extra seat was available. My whole point is that this guitar player's behavior is idiotic - traveling with a vintage guitar without a proper flight case (or purchasing a seat for it when he booked his flights) is just plain dumb. Delta did the right thing by paying for damages and vouchers; while it's great Gibson offered to fix up his vintage 335, I don't like that they are in effect encouraging stupid behavior.

It's akin to me bringing my 65 showman head on board with just the dust cover, finding out that there's no room in the overheads, and being surprised when my vintage amp head is destroyed in baggage. Just because he never had a problem before doesn't mean he shouldn't be prepared for it. I stand by my point -- Gibson is encouraging more stupid reckless people to travel with vintage gear totally unprepared for it.

The article says he was denied the purchase of a ticket for an "instrument seat."

Who pissed in your Cheerios?  I understand that guitars are like children, but this seems emotionally over the top.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 05:31:42 PM »

I don't know why he was denied a seat, maybe because it was around the holidays and they gave priority to living people.

I have shipped or carried many guitars using the airlines in my lifetime, more than I can count, and the rule in my book is simple. Expect rough handling and pack accordingly. I agree with Ned on the case quality.

Gibson's cases, as good as they are, are not suited for airline travel unless that guitar is within eyesight at all times. My 10K Les Pauls won't travel unless they're in a case and with me in my car or truck, or in a locked unbreakable if you run it over with a truck type case.

I can't imagine how the guitar became caught where it shows in the picture, and maybe even the best case made wouldn't have help one bit, but those are all judgment calls and I would rather not take those chances based on the case quality.

I have to agree with Ned in that Gibson has greased the slope. You can't do for one without doing for all.

My children are all asleep in their cases right now waiting for the alarm to go off. And Tim, emotionally over the top is the time my wife threw my keys to me while playing my ES-355 Lucille. They hit the upper part of the body and left a good sized dent. I didn't speak to her for over a month.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 05:44:41 PM »

Who pissed in your Cheerios? 

Never heard that one before - good one Tim!

I personally tire of people crying victim when they're partially to blame YET refuse to accept any responsibility for their actions (or inactions).

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 05:44:41 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 25 queries.