ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Guitar Idiot - '65 Gibson ES335 Destroyed on plane (in original case)  (Read 10645 times)

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook

Who in their right mind brings a $10,000 65 Gibson 335 on fly dates in the original case hoping they can always put it in overhead and that it won't get checked?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/vintage-gibson-guitar-delta-baggage-leevees-214634001.html

Hope Delta pays for the damages and Gibson takes the guitar away from him for being such an irresponsible moron.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: Guitar Idiot - '65 Gibson ES335 Destroyed on plane (in original case)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 11:18:21 PM »

Moron indeed. If you can afford a $10,000 guitar, you should be able to afford a full anvil flight case for it.

But, on the other hand, I hope the airline pays out the ass for it. Too many instruments, whether expensive or not, are being destroyed by ass hole airlines.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 12:12:45 AM »

Douche bag of the month club for sure. I've carried my guitars all over the word and have always been allowed to put them in the handing baggage compartment up front in first class. All you have to do is ask. 2K for repairs doesn't sound like much and as long as the neck isn't cracked or body split Gibson can make his 335 look like new. One thing is for sure though, this idiot doesn't deserve to own a $10K guitar.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 03:24:23 AM »

Moron indeed. If you can afford a $10,000 guitar, you should be able to afford a full anvil flight case for it.

But, on the other hand, I hope the airline pays out the ass for it. Too many instruments, whether expensive or not, are being destroyed by ass hole airlines.

I can say from experience that an Anvil case for guitars is nothing but a challenge for an airline forklift driver............. >:(
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 09:44:57 AM »

I'd think that at that point, considering just buying a seat for your instrument would have to be a serious option-many classical musicians do so for their instruments, especially those vintage strings from a few hundred years ago.

John

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 11:27:02 AM »

I'd think that at that point, considering just buying a seat for your instrument would have to be a serious option-many classical musicians do so for their instruments, especially those vintage strings from a few hundred years ago.

John

Some airlines have been clamping down on that, too, saying that a cello case (for example) can't be adequately restrained by a lap belt.  Others will gladly sell you a seat for the instrument, but not grant frequent flyer/reward miles for non-human occupied seat tickets.  One musician was threatened with forfeiture of HIS miles when the airline claimed he was trying to defraud them over miles acquired by the ticketing for his instrument.

FUCK the airlines.  They are scum sucking leaches since deregulation.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 09:49:38 AM »

Douche bag of the month club for sure. I've carried my guitars all over the word and have always been allowed to put them in the handing baggage compartment up front in first class. All you have to do is ask. 2K for repairs doesn't sound like much and as long as the neck isn't cracked or body split Gibson can make his 335 look like new. One thing is for sure though, this idiot doesn't deserve to own a $10K guitar.

He did ask.  He also asked if he could buy a seat for the guitar.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 03:40:37 PM »

He did ask.  He also asked if he could buy a seat for the guitar.

It doesn't make any sense to me why they airlines would want to prevent someone from buying a full priced seat for an instrument that weighs just a few pounds compared to a full sized person. They are making the same amount of money, and have to carry less weight. It's a win-win for everyone. They just want to be dicks because they can.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 10:31:13 PM »

It doesn't make any sense to me why they airlines would want to prevent someone from buying a full priced seat for an instrument that weighs just a few pounds compared to a full sized person. They are making the same amount of money, and have to carry less weight. It's a win-win for everyone. They just want to be dicks because they can.

It all comes down to these companies are too big, and there probably isn't a manual on what the employees should do in a situation like this so they just say no.

On a side note, I used to to have to carry guitars on tour occasionally and they were always checked some of them one of a kind and +20K in value, but they ALWAYS had a custom  flight case for them and we never had any issues.
Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

John Fruits

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 02:22:25 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 23 queries.