ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting Main and Monitor EQ  (Read 16242 times)

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Re: Setting Main and Monitor EQ
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 05:28:41 PM »

Thought I'd update this topic, I worked on the EQ last night and first set the mixer's EQ to closely match the original EQ(I would have connected the original EQ but I didn't have the proper cables to make the connection). This didn't sound very good so I played some CDs through the system and adjusted the main mix parametric EQ till it sounded ok. I then bypassed that and tried the TrueEQ and decided that it sounded better. I'm pretty sure that the main speaker's HF drivers aren't in very good shape because I had to boost many of the high and upper mids to get decent sound.

I'm not concerned about people "messing with" the EQ settings on the mixer so whether the processing is separate or not isn't much of a concern. The person who primarily runs the system is pretty overwhelmed with the whole digital mixer thing so I doubt he'll ever be doing much more that basic mixing(pushing the faders/mute buttons and minor channel EQ settings).

I'm sure at some point in the future that the church will get new speakers installed and when that occurs they'll probably be hiring a professional to recommend the proper speakers, install the system, and tune whatever speaker processing is installed then.

Thanks for all of the advise.

P.S.
Really liking the x32; it sounds great and has been easy to figure out so far. I'm looking forward to the next time my band plays a youth rally there so I can really put it through it's paces with a full band.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 05:35:13 PM »

Thought I'd update this topic, I worked on the EQ last night and first set the mixer's EQ to closely match the original EQ(I would have connected the original EQ but I didn't have the proper cables to make the connection). This didn't sound very good so I played some CDs through the system and adjusted the main mix parametric EQ till it sounded ok. I then bypassed that and tried the TrueEQ and decided that it sounded better. I'm pretty sure that the main speaker's HF drivers aren't in very good shape because I had to boost many of the high and upper mids to get decent sound.

I'm not concerned about people "messing with" the EQ settings on the mixer so whether the processing is separate or not isn't much of a concern. The person who primarily runs the system is pretty overwhelmed with the whole digital mixer thing so I doubt he'll ever be doing much more that basic mixing(pushing the faders/mute buttons and minor channel EQ settings).

I'm sure at some point in the future that the church will get new speakers installed and when that occurs they'll probably be hiring a professional to recommend the proper speakers, install the system, and tune whatever speaker processing is installed then.

Thanks for all of the advise.

P.S.
Really liking the x32; it sounds great and has been easy to figure out so far. I'm looking forward to the next time my band plays a youth rally there so I can really put it through it's paces with a full band.

Just get your speakers evaluated.  There's a good chance that they are repairable at a significant cost saving.  Any reputable speaker repair house will tell you if they're worth the trouble.  Knowing the make and model would help.  Can you provide that info?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 06:02:44 PM »

Just get your speakers evaluated.  There's a good chance that they are repairable at a significant cost saving.  Any reputable speaker repair house will tell you if they're worth the trouble.  Knowing the make and model would help.  Can you provide that info?

I'll post it here if I get a chance to look at the model tag. They're 8+ ft off of the floor and I'll have to get a ladder to get where I can see the tag. I know they're Peavey and that they have wood grain cabinets and black cloth fronts. I'd estimate they're 15-20+ years old and big enough to contain a 15 inch speaker. I'll try to get the specifics and post them sometime.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 07:12:58 PM »

I'll post it here if I get a chance to look at the model tag. They're 8+ ft off of the floor and I'll have to get a ladder to get where I can see the tag. I know they're Peavey and that they have wood grain cabinets and black cloth fronts. I'd estimate they're 15-20+ years old and big enough to contain a 15 inch speaker. I'll try to get the specifics and post them sometime.

Did you ever bother to try bypassing everything and putting a signal directly into the amp to see if the HF was still muddy?

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Re: Re: Setting Main and Monitor EQ
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 08:35:02 PM »

Did you ever bother to try bypassing everything and putting a signal directly into the amp to see if the HF was still muddy?

I didn't have the right cables with me to run it direct to the amp but running from CD player > x32 > amp > speakers it sounds a little muddy. I don't think the HF is completely blown but it may be a little weak. I was able to EQ it out pretty easily do that it sounds good enough.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 08:37:10 PM by Tommy Peel »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 09:05:55 PM »

I didn't have the right cables with me to run it direct to the amp but running from CD player > x32 > amp > speakers it sounds a little muddy. I don't think the HF is completely blown but it may be a little weak. I was able to EQ it out pretty easily do that it sounds good enough.

That should be direct enough. 

It would also be helpful to know how the speakers are deployed, their height, distance between, distance to walls/ceilings/floors, angle and tweeter on top or on the bottom.....and probably a few things I forget right now.  The HF will be the portion of the sound spectrum which is easiest to make directional, so even if the HF drivers are slightly toasted, some of the mud may just be off-axis response accentuated by the aiming of the boxes.

John Woodfield

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 09:25:57 PM »

I've fixed the HF in those boxes before. Very simple. Remove the front cover which just pulls off. Remove the woofer. There is a large magnet on the back of the horn which unscrews. There are a few screws holding the HF driver on to the magnet. Replacements are readily available for about $50.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Re: Re: Re: Setting Main and Monitor EQ
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 09:37:53 PM »

That should be direct enough. 

It would also be helpful to know how the speakers are deployed, their height, distance between, distance to walls/ceilings/floors, angle and tweeter on top or on the bottom.....and probably a few things I forget right now.  The HF will be the portion of the sound spectrum which is easiest to make directional, so even if the HF drivers are slightly toasted, some of the mud may just be off-axis response accentuated by the aiming of the boxes.

I'll take and post a picture next time I'm in the building. As far as whether the HF is top or bottom, I don't know; the cloth is completely opaque and they are to high to get a close look.

The speakers are 8-10 feet off of the ground sitting on wall mounts that are bolted to the walls and positioned to the left and right of the stage. I would estimate the room is close to 100ft wide and maybe twice that long. The walls are wood and the floor is carpet and there are padded pews for seating. The speakers are 15-20ft from the outside walls. They are angled in slightly and the coverage is fairly even.

I'll try to take some pics when I get a chance and I'll dig through some old pics on the computer to see if I have any that show the auditorium. Also I'll try to get the model number off of the speakers which should allow me to look online for some more info on the speakers.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 09:41:32 PM »

I've fixed the HF in those boxes before. Very simple. Remove the front cover which just pulls off. Remove the woofer. There is a large magnet on the back of the horn which unscrews. There are a few screws holding the HF driver on to the magnet. Replacements are readily available for about $50.

Thanks, I'm glad someone recognized those speakers. I'll definately look into repairing them. What is your opinion on those speakers? How do they compare to more modern speakers?

John Woodfield

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 11:23:04 PM »

Thanks, I'm glad someone recognized those speakers. I'll definately look into repairing them. What is your opinion on those speakers? How do they compare to more modern speakers?

I still have a pair in use. They were from the Peavey Mark IV era and are awesome. Some of the best sounding two way boxes I've ever heard. 15" black widows in em. Usually the HF driver has the date written in sharpie on it. Mine are from '86

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 11:23:04 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.