ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adding a sub  (Read 3895 times)

Evan Seiwert

Adding a sub
« on: January 01, 2013, 04:36:26 PM »

I work for a college campus ministry, and we are starting to think about adding a sub to our current sound setup. A little background:

We setup each week for our worship service in a room that seats 270 people. Worship is lead by a full band - two vocalists, acoustic guitar, two electrics, bass, and drums. Our current sound setup is an A&H Zed 24, feeding two JBL Eon 515 powered speakers. We also run three powered monitors on the stage fed by aux mixes from the board.

In adding a sub, we are trying to address current needs, as well as long range upgrade goals. Right now we would like to add one sub, we simply need to provide the low end coverage we just don't have, but in the long range we want a sub that could be a part of an improved speaker system.  The JBL Eon 515's are okay for now, but we are pushing them pretty much to their limits to get the levels needed for the room.  I'm not a sound expert by any means, but in the long term moving toward a passive speaker setup, most likely a pair of subs each supporting a top seems like it would be an improvement. But I'm definitely welcome to suggestions on a long range solution as well.

With this long term goal in mind, how should we approach adding a sub right now? What would our signal chain need to look like as far as adding an amp, crossover, etc, to feed the sub, and then also providing a signal to the powered tops? Is a passive sub the right move? Should we stick with a powered sub instead? What would be some recommendations on a budget? We are looking for "middle of the road" products...not cheap junk but we can't afford top of the line either.

Since we are on a tight yearly budged I see adding one sub now, possibly another next year, and then replacing the tops the year after that. Is this an okay approach?

Thanks in advance for your help!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Adding a sub
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 05:15:48 PM »

Evan....

Every facet of your post comes up at least monthly if not weekly.  Please take the time to plod through the previous posts and you'll find all the information you need in addition to some you may receive.

It's already been addressed ad nauseum.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Ron Balsom

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 04:06:32 AM »

Greetings Evan, Get a minute, give me a call at 307 315 7412 and  i can walk you through.  There's absolutely no charge, been helping small churches for some 30 years.  Blessings, Ron Balsom  [email protected]  Highland Park Community Church,  Casper, Wyoming.
I work for a college campus ministry, and we are starting to think about adding a sub to our current sound setup. A little background:

We setup each week for our worship service in a room that seats 270 people. Worship is lead by a full band - two vocalists, acoustic guitar, two electrics, bass, and drums. Our current sound setup is an A&H Zed 24, feeding two JBL Eon 515 powered speakers. We also run three powered monitors on the stage fed by aux mixes from the board.

In adding a sub, we are trying to address current needs, as well as long range upgrade goals. Right now we would like to add one sub, we simply need to provide the low end coverage we just don't have, but in the long range we want a sub that could be a part of an improved speaker system.  The JBL Eon 515's are okay for now, but we are pushing them pretty much to their limits to get the levels needed for the room.  I'm not a sound expert by any means, but in the long term moving toward a passive speaker setup, most likely a pair of subs each supporting a top seems like it would be an improvement. But I'm definitely welcome to suggestions on a long range solution as well.

With this long term goal in mind, how should we approach adding a sub right now? What would our signal chain need to look like as far as adding an amp, crossover, etc, to feed the sub, and then also providing a signal to the powered tops? Is a passive sub the right move? Should we stick with a powered sub instead? What would be some recommendations on a budget? We are looking for "middle of the road" products...not cheap junk but we can't afford top of the line either.

Since we are on a tight yearly budged I see adding one sub now, possibly another next year, and then replacing the tops the year after that. Is this an okay approach?

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 05:02:45 PM »

We setup each week for our worship service in a room that seats 270 people. Worship is lead by a full band - two vocalists, acoustic guitar, two electrics, bass, and drums.
What are the dimensions of the space?  Are the bass and kick drum run through the sound system?

In adding a sub, we are trying to address current needs, as well as long range upgrade goals. Right now we would like to add one sub, we simply need to provide the low end coverage we just don't have, but in the long range we want a sub that could be a part of an improved speaker system.  The JBL Eon 515's are okay for now, but we are pushing them pretty much to their limits to get the levels needed for the room.
Is the issue coverage or is it output?  If output, is it output in general or just for the low end?  Adding a sub may improve the low end response of the system or allow you to run the system a little bit louder but it is probably not going to make a significant change in general output or improve any coverage issues.

I'm not a sound expert by any means, but in the long term moving toward a passive speaker setup, most likely a pair of subs each supporting a top seems like it would be an improvement.
Unless you get a processor with presets for your mains and subs or use subs with integrate low cut filtered outputs for the mains there is going to be some setup required for a passive system.

What would be some recommendations on a budget? We are looking for "middle of the road" products...not cheap junk but we can't afford top of the line either.
Just about everyone is on a baduget but what that means can vary widely.  Is there an actual number or range you are looking at for budget?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 06:55:10 AM by Brad Weber »

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 08:41:34 PM »

No sir, have some bake sales and car washes,  Buy 2 QSC K-12's and one QSC KW181.  The eons can become floor monitors... or maybe doorstops.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 08:41:34 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 25 queries.