ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recording demo's live at practice  (Read 12707 times)

John Chiara

Re: Recording demo's live at practice
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2013, 08:50:54 PM »

The nice thing about the Zoom R16 and/or R24 is that it's standalone - no need to worry about the computer setup, crash or falling down. They record to an SD card that you can then pop in your mac or PC and use the included Cubase LE or DAW of your choice to edit. They also double as an interface and a control surface with 8 faders - not bad. Only downside (potentially) is you're limited to 16/24 at 44.1K - no higher sampling rate. On my Zoom H2, 16/24 at 88 definitely sounds better to me on studio monitors than 44.1 when it's brought into Pro Tools.

[edit] Oops - only the R16 is limited to 16/24 at 44.1; the R24 does 24/96.

I had thought about recording shows from my 01v into my MBP and even went so far as to buy the MLAN board for the 01v. Took way too much time (for me) to set up and try to record while mixing.

Multitrack recording with a digital console is simple especially is you set input gains conservatively as you should. Recording at at least 24/44.1 gives you plenty of headroom, you don't need to do any adjustment other than normal gains as you would for the live mix. I just arm tracks and hit record.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2013, 11:56:35 AM »

John - I agree it's simple; when you're like me and you're in the band and mixing on the side of the stage as you're playing, levels of simple go out the window. It's why I usually just throw up an H2 at the back of the room to hear what we did right/wrong, and if we want a good recording, spend the money to rent an Alesis HDR24 and the team to help.

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2013, 02:52:25 PM »

Scott I've used hardware recorders for Live work for years but Laptops and modern software are getting to be every bit as stable as an HD24 R16 etctetc, in general the thing that screws up DAWs is when people either use the wrong drivers for whatever interface they have, try to record too many tracks at once with the wrong latency settings, watch the disk throughput counter in Reaper quite illuminating that one, and the greatest DAW crashing method is to load it down with millions of plug ins. I'd be very disappointed if a modern laptop couldn't cope with the 8 tracks that an Octopre or whatever puts out, especially with no plug ins active, the most Ive managed was 42 from an RME MAdI  interface and it was the disk throughput that stopped it going higher not the processor, that was extreme and at 44k/16bit but it worked  I got paid  and the recordings sold well enough to fund an trip to Aisia now I could have done this with 2 RADAR recorders which were about at the time but there would have been hassle  getting an audio stream into the RADAR units so I tried the RME and it worked much to my suprise, so now I'll use whatever is the easiest to connect to the live system and if it's a 50/50 decision I'll use the computer as it all ends up in the computer anyway to be mixed.
Some of the interfaces actually sound better than the likes of a R16 etc at a similar cost there really isn't much in it so it's more a ease of use thing plus you can do fullscale  multitrack band recordings easier on a DAW if you ever feel the need G
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 02:59:45 PM by gordonmcgregor »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2013, 03:02:10 PM »

Scott I've used hardware recorders for Live work for years but Laptops and modern software are getting to be every bit as stable as an HD24 R16 etctetc,

And with the HD24 (a great piece of gear, by the way) you'll have to re-mix in real time or do a fairly laborious file transfer to get into a DAW.  It's so easy now to go direct into files that can be worked up on your computer, either by recording to a program like Reaper or using a digital desk that has multi-track incorporated into the design.  The StudioLive is very good for this.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Scott Bolt

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2013, 11:49:24 PM »

Yea Dick, I have been having GAS for one of those SL 16.4.2's for some time now.  I just can't spare the money for something I just 'want' vs. need.

I will look into the computer interfaces some more though.  It sounds like there are quite a few possibilities in that area.

Jason Vanick

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2013, 09:40:24 AM »

shameless plug:

I've got a 24 port PCIe line-level audio interface over in the marketplace if your mixer has
individual tape-line outs.  (includes all the snake cables you'd need as well)

my band is going digital (x32), so we no longer need the audio interface.

We've been recording our rehearsals for a few years now, and the ability to remix after the fact has been EXTREMELY helpful, as well as very nice (if you have good separation), to give -me mixes to the different members to practice on their own at home.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2013, 06:29:39 PM »

Jason,

I have a PCI solution (Delta 1010), but that would require that I had a desktop computer and monitor to record with.

Thanks for the info though.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2013, 06:29:39 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.