ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: low power broadcast for Living Nativity narration  (Read 7200 times)

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
Re: low power broadcast for Living Nativity narration
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 11:33:43 PM »

haven't tried this out yet--I foresee crosstalk problems with multiple transmitters on the same frequency, but most of these units advertise a 15' range, and our scenes are about 25' apart. Has anyone tried anything like this or have another solution? 

I'm looking at something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Soundfly-Player-Transmitter-Stick-Players/dp/B0018P7WZ2/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357161481&sr=1-2&keywords=mp3+fm+transmitter

Naturally we don't have much of a budget for this, but these are cheap enough to buy several extras for redundancy. We'd also have to build some kind of enclosure to keep the elements at bay, and maybe incorporate some shielding to hold down the crosstalk.

Comments would be appreciated.

You won't get crosstalk  per se...FM receiver exhibit an effect known ad capture effect. see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capture_effect

This plan may actually work. Simply position the transmitters  on poles next to where the cars drive up to... like the speaker pole at a drive in theater...if anyone can remember these. It would be better if the stations were a bit further apart, but i realize you have  to work with the available space.

The size an cost of directional antennas for this will probably preclude implementation. Likewise shielding between stations will likely be ineffective. While "FM" broadcast is line-of-sight it has a few lesser known properties such as knife edge diffraction  (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knife-edge_effect). These properties make anything less the 100% shielding difficult for what you are attempting to accomplish.

Kerry Townson

• They think I'm cool; let's not tell'm, 'k?
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 01:08:55 PM »

This is encouraging!  I will get about three units and do some field testing. Thanks, folks!
Creativity helps artists die young, miserable, and penniless- so their art can have meaning to the old, satisfied, and obscenely rich.

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 12:12:05 AM »

This is encouraging!  I will get about three units and do some field testing. Thanks, folks!

clear plastic kitchen containers make dandy weather enclosures.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 12:12:05 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.