ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: wireless mic dropout  (Read 12016 times)

Bill Beach

Re: wireless mic dropout
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 04:23:27 PM »

Gotta ask the obvious: does the receiver have the original antennas that shipped with the receiver, and are they mounted directly to the receiver?
the receiver does have the original antennas directly attached to the unit.
we have now moved the receiver (just the one for the pastor's mic) to the front on a high ledge at the back/right of the stage.  this seems to have solved the dropout problem.
thanks to all who offered assistance!!

John Woodfield

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 12:17:37 AM »

the receiver does have the original antennas directly attached to the unit.
we have now moved the receiver (just the one for the pastor's mic) to the front on a high ledge at the back/right of the stage.  this seems to have solved the dropout problem.
thanks to all who offered assistance!!

Keep in mind the AT-2000 has very low transmit power. I wouldn't buy anymore when time comes for replacement. Actually I wouldn't touch anything AT wireless. Go Shure, Sennheiser or Line6.

RonnieBgood

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 09:16:47 PM »

Hi Bill,

You're on the right track to solving the problem.  It's highly likely that the source of your dropout is some other transmission on or near the channel that you are using.

Your channel 5 receiver that is showing low-level RF signal with the transmitter off is revealing that there is the potential for interference on that channel.  It has little to do with the antenna system, but rather is showing you that some other transmitter is operating on or close to that frequency.

Your dealer is correct that AT2000 channels are supposed to be intermodulation coordinated.  The benefit of running software anyway is that you can use it to access the FCC TV station database, which will help to determine if any of the channels lie within active TV transmissions at your location.  That would cause interference and dropouts.  For an easy solution, go to this website http://ff.audiotechnica.com/cgi-bin/tvfreqcheck/tvfreqcheck.cgi, click on the 2000 series, and enter your zip code.  The results won't be guaranteed bulletproof, but may indicate if your problem is TV interference.

What frequency band is your system in?  It should be "D" or "I".  If it's "E", "F", or "G", you must stop operating them immediately since they have become illegal.

Please let us know how it goes after your next round of troubleshooting.

Super Newbie here. I'm glad the only stupid question is the one I don't ask. You refer to E,F and G bands as being illegal. I'm assuming these fall in the range of 700MHz. Most of our wireless equipment operates in that range. Am I correct that this renders 'most' of our equipment useless? With church finances being critically low, what can we do?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber