ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What mixer would you recommend?  (Read 10698 times)

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
What mixer would you recommend?
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 08:17:43 PM »

A/H GL and Soundcraft GB desks get it done and are around the used market often. If you are looking at LX7s, the newer "LX7ii" seems to sound cleaner than the old ones IMO.

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
Re: What mixer would you recommend?
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 09:21:11 AM »

It's all good, but I particularly like the quality of the Midas Etc.........
Midas desks sound great, once you get past the Venice level.  At that level, my opinion is that the A&H desks are a better buy without any less quality.  I haven't had much drive time on Soundcraft since the days of the 200/400 models.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 09:36:23 AM »

OP,
Why don't you let us know how much you can spend so that we can narrow the field. After that the rest will be up to you.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Al Rubio, Jr

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 02:17:02 PM »

OP,
Why don't you let us know how much you can spend so that we can narrow the field. After that the rest will be up to you.

I'll be speaking to the bar management/ownership this weekend, so hopefully I'll have a better idea as to what their budgetary thoughts are sometime soon.  I will be mentioning the suggestions so far, so hopefully that'll help them along in the process.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 11:14:39 PM »

The new Midas Venice F32 is priced pretty good! It is a nice desk and sounds really good if you use it properly. I don't really care for their weird auxiliary naming though? It is only a 6 aux desk, but it has a matrix out and is XLY everything. You can find them new for around 3-4K. My second choice would be the A&H GL series. I think the 2400 series only has 6 auxes, but the 3800 series has 8?  It is a nice desk and again sound really good if you use it a certain way.

In your case with other operators I would stick to analog. You need something that anyone can walk in and run. A digital mixer is going to leave some people with a large learning curve.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Al Rubio, Jr

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 01:11:04 AM »

In your case with other operators I would stick to analog. You need something that anyone can walk in and run. A digital mixer is going to leave some people with a large learning curve.

My thinking precisely!
I also have to be able to explain the most basic functionality to certain bar staff so they can bring up their satellite radio stations and TV audio on 'off nights'... ("DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING BUT THIS!!! :P )

Al Rubio, Jr

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 12:36:46 AM »

Well... we finally had our "strategizing" session for the upcoming year with the owners of the bar in question.
They see their mixer budget as accommodating something in the $1500 neighborhood... as in "not more than".
So, from the suggestions made so far... and from what I've seen in the short time I've been browsing around on the used market... I guess I'll be looking to try to score them either an A&H GL2400-32 or a Soundcraft GB4-32.  A 24 channel console would cut it, but the points made about the benefits of going for 32 make a lot of sense to me.

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 01:02:15 AM »

The new Midas Venice F32 is priced pretty good! It is a nice desk and sounds really good if you use it properly. s...A&H GL series. I think the 2400 series only has 6 auxes, but the 3800 series has 8?  It is a nice desk and again sound really good if you use it a certain way.

What exactly does that mean, "use it properly" & "use it a certain way"?
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 09:38:49 AM »

What exactly does that mean, "use it properly" (like Luke) & "use it a certain way"(like Luke)?

Translated for you.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 10:03:53 AM »

Translated for you.

I see. The implication is that other desks sound ok when you don't use them them "properly" or that the A&H has to be used a "certain way" than other desks to sound good. AFAIK, if you don't clip the crap out of the preamps and have proper gain structure, they work the same way as any other desk. Or have I been using them wrong all these years?

P.S. to Luke: the Venice F isn't that new. It was introduced back in 2010.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 10:05:24 AM by Greg Cameron »
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 10:03:53 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.