ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What mixer would you recommend?  (Read 10710 times)

Al Rubio, Jr

What mixer would you recommend?
« on: December 31, 2012, 12:56:10 PM »

A local music club has been hiring me to run their FOH when they bring in "important acts".  They feel that I have a knack for wringing the most out of the equipment that they have. 
While that may be the case, they are sorely in need of an upgrade in the mixer dept. 
They currently have a Yamaha MG24-14fx that they got in used and battered shape.  It's functional, but that's about it.
Seeing as their profile is on the upswing, and that they plan on continuing to bring in "important acts" on a more frequent basis in the new year, I'm thinking that I might be able to convince the club owners to upgrade to a better mixer platform.
If it were your call, what would you be on the lookout for?  24 channel analog format is what they're used to (they hire other, less experienced hands to run sound on other nights), but make your case for other platforms (32? Digital 16?) Keep in mind that budget would be tight, so "previously owned" might allow for more 'bang for the buck', as they say.
Your insights and experiences with different brands, models, etc. and the pros and cons of these various mixers would be greatly appreciated!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: What mixer would you recommend?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 01:07:47 PM »

A local music club has been hiring me to run their FOH when they bring in "important acts".  They feel that I have a knack for wringing the most out of the equipment that they have. 
While that may be the case, they are sorely in need of an upgrade in the mixer dept. 
They currently have a Yamaha MG24-14fx that they got in used and battered shape.  It's functional, but that's about it.
Seeing as their profile is on the upswing, and that they plan on continuing to bring in "important acts" on a more frequent basis in the new year, I'm thinking that I might be able to convince the club owners to upgrade to a better mixer platform.
If it were your call, what would you be on the lookout for?  24 channel analog format is what they're used to (they hire other, less experienced hands to run sound on other nights), but make your case for other platforms (32? Digital 16?) Keep in mind that budget would be tight, so "previously owned" might allow for more 'bang for the buck', as they say.
Your insights and experiences with different brands, models, etc. and the pros and cons of these various mixers would be greatly appreciated!

ANYTHING is better than what they have........

While 24 channels may seem to be an adequate upward move, I'd go for at least 32 channels for several reasons:

1.  Almost always obviates the need for sub-mixers and offers a few spare channels should you experience any failures or need to split inputs for monitor purposes.

2.  Typically comes with 4 stereo/8 mono sub-groups and some matrices.

3.  More auxes.  Buy as many as you can get.......
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Rick Powell

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 03:48:13 PM »

If you were here a week ago, you could've been recommended a Soundcraft 32 channel console that was $15k when new that went for less than $700. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NO-RESERVE-Soundcraft-Series-Two-32-Channel-Console-/200862801060?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&nma=true&si=tsJH0CzJeqHhKLw0V2ZteJPJoX0%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Al Rubio, Jr

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 12:41:28 AM »

Thanx for all the info so far!
Having gotten a bit more of an idea as to what the potential budget MIGHT be... does anyone have any opinion(s) to share on the pros & cons that the Midas Venice 320 and Soundcraft LX7ii present?  Does one have any sort of clear advantage over the other (mic pre's, EQ, etc...)?

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 12:52:18 AM »

If you're going analog then you should also look at APB.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Al Rubio, Jr

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 01:47:07 AM »

APB would be great, and if it were for me personally, it would most definitely be in the mix!
But... not having final say-so over the budget puts a bit of a constraint on the proceedings, so to speak!

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 02:16:52 AM »

Allen Heath GL2400 or GL2800 , and get at least a 32 channel.

Chris Eddison

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 03:42:04 AM »

I'll second the suggestion for Allen and Heath. I've owned a GL2400 for 8 years now and it's been a cracking little console. They come up on ebay all the time. I can't tell your location, but if you were in the UK then you can get a lot of console for not much money here;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Allen-Heath-GL3300-40-channel-mixing-desk-/251205963501?pt=UK_Mixers&hash=item3a7d0aceed

Al Rubio, Jr

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 06:51:36 PM »

Lots of A&H love coming in here...
Anyone care to rank them (A&H, Soundcraft and Midas) by quality of pre's, build, etc?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 06:58:17 PM »

Lots of A&H love coming in here...
Anyone care to rank them (A&H, Soundcraft and Midas) by quality of pre's, build, etc?

It's all good, but I particularly like the quality of the Midas Etc.........
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 06:58:17 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 26 queries.