ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Why no love for the 'sound' of Yamaha digital consoles?  (Read 106282 times)

Peter Morris

Re: Why no love for the 'sound' of Yamaha digital consoles?
« Reply #200 on: February 05, 2013, 06:05:08 PM »

Last year I was asked to mix monitors for Anthrax at Yankee Stadium in NY for the Big 4 Show. The FOH engineer told me that I would be using the PM5D that was set up for Megadeth and Slayer. I decided to bring my own LS9-32. I had the console pre-configured, running my ipad w/ stagemix, had 15 minutes to soundcheck and then showtime. Stagemix made it possible to do this soundcheck pretty quickly and accurate. Everything went just perfect and on time. The band was very happy. Btw.. I heard there were a few problems with that PM5D.

Did I care about the A/D - D/A or preamps? NOPE. Not for one second.

Having provided production for Anthrax a few years ago, I can understand that.

At the moment we a doing a musical, 60 plus inputs - 24 radios plus an orchestra. In this situation I do care about the AD’s /DA’s, using AES EBU out of the desk into the processor etc…. and yes you can hear the difference.

The last musical we did had 100 plus inputs. We used an M7 for the radios and an iLive 144 for the rest. We had an opportunity to compare; everyone could hear the difference.

FWIW, and it may be my imagination … the LS9 sounds better than the M7, but I have never had an opportunity to directly compared the two.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #201 on: February 05, 2013, 07:18:31 PM »

Having provided production for Anthrax a few years ago, I can understand that.

At the moment we a doing a musical, 60 plus inputs - 24 radios plus an orchestra. In this situation I do care about the AD’s /DA’s, using AES EBU out of the desk into the processor etc…. and yes you can hear the difference.

The last musical we did had 100 plus inputs. We used an M7 for the radios and an iLive 144 for the rest. We had an opportunity to compare; everyone could hear the difference.

FWIW, and it may be my imagination … the LS9 sounds better than the M7, but I have never had an opportunity to directly compared the two.

I think the 01v96, LS9, and M7 all do about the same job. The 5D is where the big quality jump happens.

Oddly enough, I have recordings from my old 03d that sound better than all of them to my ears!
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Peter Morris

« Reply #202 on: February 05, 2013, 07:30:18 PM »

I think the 01v96, LS9, and M7 all do about the same job. The 5D is where the big quality jump happens.

Oddly enough, I have recordings from my old 03d that sound better than all of them to my ears!

+1 ... The 5D always sounded fine to me.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 09:53:34 PM by Peter Morris »

Danny J. Avila

• This Land is doomed...
« Reply #203 on: February 05, 2013, 09:01:21 PM »

...FWIW, and it may be my imagination … the LS9 sounds better than the M7, but I have never had an opportunity to directly compared the two...

Physically, the LS9 and M7CL are both equipped with the same HAAD (Preamp + Gain stage + A/D conversion) board and DA1 (D/A conversion + E-balanced +18dB or 24dB selectable OMNI output) boards. The main difference in this case is in the DSP board which in the M7CL design hosts twice the DSP engine devices as the LS9.

:)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 09:03:30 PM by dannyavila »
Never take freedom for granted.

Peter Morris

« Reply #204 on: February 05, 2013, 09:59:56 PM »

Physically, the LS9 and M7CL are both equipped with the same HAAD (Preamp + Gain stage + A/D conversion) board and DA1 (D/A conversion + E-balanced +18dB or 24dB selectable OMNI output) boards. The main difference in this case is in the DSP board which in the M7CL design hosts twice the DSP engine devices as the LS9.

:)

Thanks Dannyavila, I always suspected that was the case, but for some reason I never had quite as much of an issue with the LS9 ….

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #205 on: February 05, 2013, 10:20:29 PM »

Just finished a show with a touring act that specified a 5D at FOH and a Venue at monitors.  Our monitor guy was not up on the Profile but he worked hard to get up to speed to handle the opening acts.  Headline crew arrives and the monitor guy turns out to be their usual FOH guy and he had never used a Venue before and didn't have the show on a stick from the regular monitor engineer.  The FOH guy was strictly analog and had never used a 5D before. It was a long night.   ::)

I don't hear nearly the differences between console brands that many golden ears do but I certainly appreciate the differences in usability that different design approaches yield.  I was really stunned to discover that the rented Venue consoles had quarter inch jacks for i/o at the local rack.  It suddenly felt like hooking up a Mackie mixer.

The 1/4" TRS jacks were the only way to get the needed connector density.  It's fully balanced.  Does a non-XLR patch bay give you the same feelings?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #206 on: February 06, 2013, 02:21:15 AM »

+1 ... The 5D always sounded fine to me.

We're talking about the RH version here?
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #207 on: February 06, 2013, 02:21:47 AM »

Does a non-XLR patch bay give you the same feelings?

Yes...?
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Josh Hana

« Reply #208 on: February 06, 2013, 09:42:54 AM »

Yes...?

In a live situation, yeah.
We only ever have 1/4" cables as spares for backline when we rent it out.
We built an XLR panel for the Venue FOH rack but it threw off a BE once because he assumed being XLR, that they were mic inputs but they're strictly line level ins.

I've worked with other rentals that send out the FOH rack un-modded with all 1/4" and don't really mind either way since I carry adapters, but once you actually need all 8 of those outputs, it's easy to run out of 1/4 to XLRm

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #209 on: February 06, 2013, 12:55:37 PM »

Real mixing consoles use XLR connectors for primary in/outputs.   ;D
I'm not sure how the connector density is of significance.  There appeared to be ample room to afford the two or three extra rack spaces required for XLR connectors.  Not a huge deal, just a surprise.  I had to dig deep in the shop to find the required xlr to phone patch cable count as we had three Venues in play that night between two shows and at least one was almost maxed out with feeds to and from video, CD deck, iPod, house records, press mults, yadda, yadda, yadda.

The 1/4" TRS jacks were the only way to get the needed connector density.  It's fully balanced.  Does a non-XLR patch bay give you the same feelings?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #209 on: February 06, 2013, 12:55:37 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.