ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Why no love for the 'sound' of Yamaha digital consoles?  (Read 106295 times)

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Re: Why no love for the 'sound' of Yamaha digital consoles?
« Reply #190 on: January 12, 2013, 12:56:31 PM »

Just in case anyone here is in the camp of those who once said that the Yamahas sound better when externally clocked, make sure you read and understand this article.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #191 on: January 12, 2013, 01:34:36 PM »

Well, I do that if you don't have the right clock set, it will royally fuck over all your other efforts.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Chris Lynch

« Reply #192 on: January 12, 2013, 03:09:04 PM »

My experience with the M7 and an external clock is that is does behave slightly differently. In my opinion it does not make it "sound" any better.

In my opinion some engineers think desk A sounds better than desk B because they use desk A regularly. They know how to get the best out of desk A. I think this is the same with using an external clock. If you use one regularly you get used to how the desk behaves, so in turn think it sounds better.

I have been using the M7 since it was first released and I must have done over 1000 shows on them now. In my opinion I never have a problem getting a decent sound out of one. I see other engineers doing strange things like running the gain in the red and then saying the M7 sounds terrible. I know the desk well, I don't for example know the I-Live nearly as well. To me its not a bad desk but I can get a better sound out on an M7 (because I know it much better). It has nothing to do with which desks pre amps sound better.

So to answer the original question yes I have plenty of love for the "sound" of Yamaha digital consoles. I have had some great magazine reviews about the sound of gigs when I have been using a Yamaha desk, so they get a thumbs up from me.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #193 on: January 13, 2013, 04:51:51 PM »

The temperature and humidity of a given day will alter the perceived sound more than any clock source or preamp design. Think about that one for a while.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #194 on: January 13, 2013, 06:16:17 PM »

The temperature and humidity of a given day will alter the perceived sound more than any clock source or preamp design. Think about that one for a while.

Now how much fun would THAT be to argue about on a live audio forum?...

:o    ;D

Geri O

Scott Helmke

« Reply #195 on: January 13, 2013, 08:30:18 PM »

Which is why every Meyer Galileo processor comes with a free digital temperature/humidity gauge.

No kidding. 

Darren Scaresbrook

• Adelaide, South Australia
    • Concert Systems Australia
« Reply #196 on: January 13, 2013, 08:47:48 PM »

and, when I plot a system with easefocus, I can enter temperature, barometric pressure and humidity.

Matthew Brown

• Killer Pro Audio
« Reply #197 on: February 05, 2013, 03:22:00 PM »

Last year I was asked to mix monitors for Anthrax at Yankee Stadium in NY for the Big 4 Show. The FOH engineer told me that I would be using the PM5D that was set up for Megadeth and Slayer. I decided to bring my own LS9-32. I had the console pre-configured, running my ipad w/ stagemix, had 15 minutes to soundcheck and then showtime. Stagemix made it possible to do this soundcheck pretty quickly and accurate. Everything went just perfect and on time. The band was very happy. Btw.. I heard there were a few problems with that PM5D.

Did I care about the A/D - D/A or preamps? NOPE. Not for one second.

Josh Hana

« Reply #198 on: February 05, 2013, 04:24:17 PM »

Last year I was asked to mix monitors for Anthrax at Yankee Stadium in NY for the Big 4 Show. The FOH engineer told me that I would be using the PM5D that was set up for Megadeth and Slayer. I decided to bring my own LS9-32. I had the console pre-configured, running my ipad w/ stagemix, had 15 minutes to soundcheck and then showtime. Stagemix made it possible to do this soundcheck pretty quickly and accurate. Everything went just perfect and on time. The band was very happy. Btw.. I heard there were a few problems with that PM5D.

Did I care about the A/D - D/A or preamps? NOPE. Not for one second.

I find myself caring very little about the "sound" of a console when I'm doing Monitors. It's about me and the band, not the audience or PMs or anyone else. I want to be able to do my job as easily and painlessly as possible. I know the M7 inside and out, and don't mind when that's the only choice for monitors.

If I'm mixing FOH, it's another story.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #199 on: February 05, 2013, 05:21:04 PM »

Just finished a show with a touring act that specified a 5D at FOH and a Venue at monitors.  Our monitor guy was not up on the Profile but he worked hard to get up to speed to handle the opening acts.  Headline crew arrives and the monitor guy turns out to be their usual FOH guy and he had never used a Venue before and didn't have the show on a stick from the regular monitor engineer.  The FOH guy was strictly analog and had never used a 5D before. It was a long night.   ::)

I don't hear nearly the differences between console brands that many golden ears do but I certainly appreciate the differences in usability that different design approaches yield.  I was really stunned to discover that the rented Venue consoles had quarter inch jacks for i/o at the local rack.  It suddenly felt like hooking up a Mackie mixer.

I find myself caring very little about the "sound" of a console when I'm doing Monitors. It's about me and the band, not the audience or PMs or anyone else. I want to be able to do my job as easily and painlessly as possible. I know the M7 inside and out, and don't mind when that's the only choice for monitors.

If I'm mixing FOH, it's another story.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #199 on: February 05, 2013, 05:21:04 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.