ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Turbo TMS4 opinions  (Read 17709 times)

Nick Enright

• Detroit, MI
Re: Turbo TMS4 opinions
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 11:30:15 AM »

Nick, Loud is a relative thing.  You've got lot's of good suggestions for the OP.  They are all of course, basically putting lipstick on a pig.  But I am sure you know that. ....

you're absolutely right steve, and honestly I've never used these boxes. {TMS-4}  I happen to have several custom replicas of the MH-102 built in the mid '80s. Though they're loaded with a bit different drivers. (TAD TM-1201 / DAS K8) and they're loud enough that 1 per side (90deg) covers a 500 capacity room.

Although it took be a bunch of experimentation to work up processor settings, and they are driven with an amplifer per driver to provide plenty of dynamic headroom.

(325w per 16ohm HF, 800w per 8ohm MF)

I will say that they've been heard over 1mi away and still retain enough clarity to allow the vocals to be intelligible.

I spent almost nothing on them, around 1600 for the four I have (along with 4 BH550)  and they've paid me back in spades over the 6 years since I bought them.

Still I'd rather have something newer, they're big/heavy, and a single Nexo eAf would run circles around them.

Here's the thread from when I bought them:
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,109771.msg1024426.html#msg1024426

Edit: I've never used the TMS-4
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 03:18:00 AM by Nick Enright »
Nick Enright
Owner / Engineer
Lyve Productions
Detroit, MI

Guy Morris

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 03:53:17 PM »

you're absolutely right steve, and honestly I've never used these boxes. I happen to have several custom replicas of the MH-102 built in the mid '80s. Though they're loaded with a bit different drivers. (TAD TM-1201 / DAS K8) and they're loud enough that 1 per side (90deg) covers a 500 capacity room.

Although it took be a bunch of experimentation to work up processor settings, and they are driven with an amplifer per driver to provide plenty of dynamic headroom.

(325w per 16ohm HF, 800w per 8ohm MF)

I will say that they've been heard over 1mi away and still retain enough clarity to allow the vocals to be intelligible.

I spent almost nothing on them, around 1600 for the four I have (along with 4 BH550)  and they've paid me back in spades over the 6 years since I bought them.

Still I'd rather have something newer, they're big/heavy, and a single Nexo eAf would run circles around them.

Here's the thread from when I bought them:
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,109771.msg1024426.html#msg1024426

Lovely! TMS 4 from Turbosound they are a classic box!  Yes time has moved on 5 generations but put a TMS 4 up against some other boxes and the TMS4 will deliver very well. I have d&b /Martin and KV2 on inventory but still retain these boxes for certain applications and they do sound good.

It is best to understand that they were meant as a full range box to deliver vocals and certain instruments down to 45hz  and then for extra thump you would place a 718 or 218 for the Sub end. For Jazz /Blues or disco playback in intimate (500 peeps) they are very good but not megawatt powerful.
Tony Andrews (now F1) originally designed these boxes and he is very much a purist. When I was refurbishing mine he took the time at PLASA to advise me to keep it all original with the drivers to ensure integrity of the sound. So Precision Devices  PD 10/18 and an EV CD103 are under the bonnet in each box.

The box is actually 'time aligned' physically by the horn depth between each driver and it's in a two way format (mid/HF via passive x/over) so it virtually is plug and play.

I retained the original BSS FDS 360 X/over with the 250hz X/o card (stereo unit) and a rack of Crest CA9s to drive the box the spec sheets state 450watt RMS and 900 Watts program power (old term) the bass driver is 300w mid/HF 150w so mega amps are not required for these boxes!

I have had mine from new and actually added another identical pair in 2011 to give me 3 boxes a side (70 degree dispersion) along with some 718 and 218 subs I do treat them now like a vintage sports car but they work sound great and still earn money whats not to like!

A lot of threads on the forum about the TMS 4   not often a box gets to earn this status!

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2013, 07:01:23 PM »

Guy,
Everything you say is spot on.
In summary, TMS-4:
[√]  Warm
[√]  Smooth
[√]  Punchy
[√]  Pleasing
[X]  Loud

:)
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

James Feenstra

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2013, 08:21:08 PM »

If you need some I know of a bunch up in Canada (and TMS3s as well) that will go for a good price!
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Zachary Zimmerman

• Shenandoah, VA USA
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2013, 01:09:29 AM »

Well everyone I now have 8 Tms4 in my possession and 2 more on the way stay tuned for more details

Anybody know where to get turbo blue or something very close

Thanks for all your opinions and information 
Hey Y'all watch this

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2013, 07:59:44 AM »

Well everyone I now have 8 Tms4 in my possession and 2 more on the way stay tuned for more details

Anybody know where to get turbo blue or something very close

Thanks for all your opinions and information

I've got some I don't need.  PM me.
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

James Brooks

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2013, 09:58:16 AM »

I hot rodded my TMS4 system to the max. JBL 10", JBL 18", EV horn driver, digital crossover with extensive Smaart testing, the works. I made a lot of $ with that system. But it doesn't compare to the new Aspect wide system I have now. If you're looking for a nice sounding, not very loud system, use the original components, including the passive crossover, and have at it. Push the system hard (a boost at 400 hz) and the 10" speaker will die. Carry spares. Realize that by todays standards the system DOESN'T array. A used Turbo Flashlight system would, in my opinion, be a better starter system. Once you have a system with REAL pattern control and DOES array properly, it's hard to go back.

Jim Brooks
Casper Band
Richmond, Va

Zachary Zimmerman

• Shenandoah, VA USA
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2013, 01:06:40 PM »

I hot rodded my TMS4 system to the max. JBL 10", JBL 18", EV horn driver, digital crossover with extensive Smaart testing, the works. I made a lot of $ with that system. But it doesn't compare to the new Aspect wide system I have now. If you're looking for a nice sounding, not very loud system, use the original components, including the passive crossover, and have at it. Push the system hard (a boost at 400 hz) and the 10" speaker will die. Carry spares. Realize that by todays standards the system DOESN'T array. A used Turbo Flashlight system would, in my opinion, be a better starter system. Once you have a system with REAL pattern control and DOES array properly, it's hard to go back.

Jim Brooks
Casper Band
Richmond, Va

Yeah I think besides tri amping them I'm going to stay original. I am very aware that they are not aspects and I don't expect them to be. Thanks for ur insight about ur hot rodded results 
Hey Y'all watch this

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2013, 01:06:40 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 22 queries.