ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Offloading Analog Gear  (Read 10199 times)

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: Offloading Analog Gear
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 11:09:03 AM »

No, red is the right color.  Why should churches have old crap inflicted on them?  "The wrong gear at the right price is still the wrong gear."
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Brian Larson

Offloading Analog Gear
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 11:39:39 AM »

If the "right price" is free then why not?

John Woodfield

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 12:26:31 PM »

I think what Caleb is trying to say... If you need a socket wrench a screwdriver isn't going to get the job done even if its free.

If you need a socket wrench you may not need a Snap-on, a Chinese wrench may work ok. It may break and be unreliable but it may work.

Unfortunately, much of the gear I need to offload, are mistakes I have made where I refused to listen to reason because it was the "right price" There is no reason to donate them somewhere so someone else can make the same mistake even if its free.

Then, there are those items a "consultant" recommended like a Sonic Maximizer that really deserves to be no other place than Guitar Center lol.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2012, 12:48:11 PM »

I'dve used a white flag. ;D

Rick, et al.....

Any business equipment which is disposed of as a "charitable gift" is subject to depreciation.  The allowable amount is the original cost minus any write-offs you've taken during it's service life.  So if you've fully depreciated the piece on your taxes over the years, the net value of your "charitable gift" is zero

This popular misconception can get you into some real hassles if you try to float it.
Of course, if you're not a business things may be different.  But if you've been doing it "for fun", then you may be able to swing it.

DISCLAIMER:

I am not a CPA or tax accountant.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Dave Rickard

• SR Forums
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2012, 01:00:32 PM »

I didn't realize that, Dick.

Thanks for the heads up!!
The wrong piece of gear at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2012, 01:21:40 PM »

I didn't realize that, Dick.

Thanks for the heads up!!

No problem.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mike Diack

• Auckland, New Zealand.
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2012, 02:37:36 PM »

I suppose the trick is working out which bits of hukkery old kit are simply trash and which bits are going to start crawling up the other side of the bathtub curve of value (instead of going down the plughole). Who would have thought that superannuated Western Electric cinema sound gear would be selling to the Asians for huge money in the 2000's when they were selling/dumping it for scrap value or consigning it to landfill in the '60s.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Electric-594A-Loudspeaker-Driver-Super-Rare-Vintage-Serial-No-A990-/281022911601?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416e455471
M

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2012, 06:54:09 PM »

One part of a previous job at a non-profit ministry was going through all the donated gear, and disposing of junk.  That cost the ministry money (4 guys 1 day isn't free, plus disposal fees).  Also, rather than get the right tools for the job, non-tech leadership wouldn't divert funds to tech; donated wrong stuff supposedly worked just fine.  Finally, additional funds would be wasted making the free non-correct gear work, rather than to the right gear.

So in my experience, offloading crap was a selfish endeavor that hurt the ministry.   
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Rick Powell

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2012, 07:14:54 PM »

One part of a previous job at a non-profit ministry was going through all the donated gear, and disposing of junk.  That cost the ministry money (4 guys 1 day isn't free, plus disposal fees).  Also, rather than get the right tools for the job, non-tech leadership wouldn't divert funds to tech; donated wrong stuff supposedly worked just fine.  Finally, additional funds would be wasted making the free non-correct gear work, rather than to the right gear.

So in my experience, offloading crap was a selfish endeavor that hurt the ministry.   

Caleb-

Thanks for your perspective.  In certain situations, it seems donated gear would be a win/win for both parties (for instance, I could see Patrick's nice Soundcraft console that went for $670 being a useful piece of donated equipment to a theater group needing a console), but as you say, if it's the wrong and unneeded gear, and lots more being "inflicted" than needed, to be more of a PITA than it's worth for the donee.  And as always, it would be unethical for someone to claim a charitable contribution on a piece of gear that's been written all the way down if the seller was claiming depreciation on previous tax returns.  I've gotten "that letter" from the IRS on an inadvertent mistake, and going thru that, wouldn't ever want the consequences from a willful concealment.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 07:18:29 PM by Rick Powell »

Kent Thompson

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2012, 01:47:14 PM »

Rick, et al.....

Any business equipment which is disposed of as a "charitable gift" is subject to depreciation.  The allowable amount is the original cost minus any write-offs you've taken during it's service life.  So if you've fully depreciated the piece on your taxes over the years, the net value of your "charitable gift" is zero

This popular misconception can get you into some real hassles if you try to float it.
Of course, if you're not a business things may be different.  But if you've been doing it "for fun", then you may be able to swing it.

DISCLAIMER:

I am not a CPA or tax accountant.

My accountant once told me never donate items and deduct it. It increases your chance of getting audited. Never wanted to find out if this was true or not lol

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2012, 01:47:14 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.