ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaker Wiring Question  (Read 7328 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Speaker Wiring Question
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 04:05:20 PM »

Peavey to the rescue...  ;D

Here is Marty McCann's article from 1995 that covers running three center clustered speakers from a single bridged amplifier to cover both near and far-fields. I have a hard copy of this somewhere around here, but apparently someone smart decided to put Marty's old papers onto the inter-webs.

http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes/soundsystems/bridgemode.cfm

Enjoy.

Thanks for that.  I had forgotten/lost it. 
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Joe Hicks

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 05:00:21 PM »

Here is Marty McCann's article from 1995 that covers running three center clustered speakers from a single bridged amplifier to cover both near and far-fields. I have a hard copy of this somewhere around here, but apparently someone smart decided to put Marty's old papers onto the inter-webs.

Enjoy.
Great article. I'm gonna have to read about 5 times to get it all to sink in though. lol

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 05:15:51 PM »

Enjoy.

It's an interesting idea, if you need exactly 6dB difference between the outside and center speaker, and if you can't secure the amp level controls by taking the knobs off or using a security cover. I'd rather have control over the level difference. If you are using a DSP speaker processor you can set the gain difference there and leave both channels of the amp WFO, but I don't think it is a big deal to just make the amp controls secure, and keep the wiring straightforward.

Mac

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 12:16:12 PM »

How about converting the amplifier output to 70 volt Constant voltage and using a transformer on each speaker to convert back to 8 ohm?   Each speaker would be loading the amplifier and speaker equally? 

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 12:38:18 PM »

How about converting the amplifier output to 70 volt Constant voltage and using a transformer on each speaker to convert back to 8 ohm?   Each speaker would be loading the amplifier and speaker equally?

What is the advantage vs using 2ch with 2 speakers on one channel and 1 on the other? The disadvantage is the poor frequency response of most 70V transformers and the added cost.

Mac

Joe Hicks

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 01:01:50 PM »

What is the advantage vs using 2ch with 2 speakers on one channel and 1 on the other? The disadvantage is the poor frequency response of most 70V transformers and the added cost.

Mac
Exactly. I have installed "background" systems in restaurants and bars using 70 volt. But, I won't use it as a main FOH system.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 01:01:50 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 19 queries.