ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Lets see those Digital Snake Setups  (Read 14247 times)

Brian Wynn

Lets see those Digital Snake Setups
« on: December 23, 2012, 04:17:43 PM »

I just started using my first Digital snake setup and I'm not very happy with the look of it. It seems like I have cables spilling out of the front of he rack and finding power for the stage boxes is sometimes a problem.  Should I make a breakout panel??

Post some pictures of your digital snake packages.  Racks, doghouse connections, cables, and connectors. 

I want to find the cleanest way to package this setup.

paul bell

Re: Lets see those Digital Snake Setups
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 04:46:47 PM »

Photos?

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Lets see those Digital Snake Setups
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 05:22:48 PM »

What snake system?

Brian Wynn

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 07:15:33 PM »

What snake system?

Any digital snake system.  Mine happens to be a 2 S16 boxes with a X32 mixer.  I was thinking of buying the SC48 remote or a DL251 with a Pro Series desk.

Just looking for general photos of any digital snake system setup.

Dan Brown

• SR Forums
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 07:30:36 PM »

I just started using my first Digital snake setup and I'm not very happy with the look of it. It seems like I have cables spilling out of the front of he rack and finding power for the stage boxes is sometimes a problem.  Should I make a breakout panel??

Post some pictures of your digital snake packages.  Racks, doghouse connections, cables, and connectors. 

I want to find the cleanest way to package this setup.

Brian,

Here is what we did for our CL5
The DSP5D when finished would be similar
Our Digico SD9 we are mounting in seperate wood trays as we feel like that is a better option for that rig.

Each situation is different

db

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 09:31:46 PM »

I could only comment that Velcro ties would help with a cable change if needed, but other than that those racks were assembled with some thought and a lot of care. Nice job.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 10:14:55 PM »

Where did you get the wire pass through plate? I have been looking for something just like that.

Thanks
Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

Philip Roberts

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
  • South West MI
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 10:40:53 PM »

Where did you get the wire pass through plate? I have been looking for something just like that.

Thanks
Looks like Middle Atlantic BR1's
http://middleatlantic.com/rackac/cablem/cablem.htm#BrushGrometPanel

Philip

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 10:36:46 AM »

Hello Brian.

Here are some snapshots I made of our Yamaha/Appsys/Behringer digital multicore setups when they were built last year. 

These setups are designed more to be used at the "Lounge level" but perhaps the photos can be an inspiration. 
I designed these systems to be used with our Yamaha DM2000 and 01v96 mixers, and they are a great match for the level of gigs that these mixers are applicable for as of today.

In the future the DM 2000 will probably be paired with a Yamaha RIO rack as a step on the way to a CL mixer, but that's another story.

For "LAB-level" gigs we also have Yamaha PM1D with a large stage rack.  I have customized a special setup so that we only need two coax cables and a cat5 cable between Stage and FOH for this mixer, so it's a pretty neat setup, I don't have photos but will try to take some when that rig goes out later this week.

Back to the Appsys-systems:
The racks have 24 mic inputs on the front as well as 8 return lines for mains and mons.  The power outlets on the bottom of the front of the racks are "shukos" that feed power to our active speakers when used with these racks.

On the back of the racks there are additional power outlets as well as special "loop-through" cat5-jacks that allow us to have additional small and handy "drop boxes" away from the main rack (that include a Cat5 receiver/ADAT converter +  an extra Behringer ADA8K). 

Unfortunately, these additional drop boxes can only handle the return channels, so we use analog drop-boxes to get all the mic signals to the main racks. 

Since our speaker setups are all-active it's great to put the main rack behind one PA speaker stack and put a "drop return box" behind the other PA speaker stack.  Anything going on along the "front line" of the stage can be very easily connected directly to one of these two racks, and anything that goes on along the back line gets connected via an analog muticore.

If one is willing to lean into the opening on the back of the rack one will find two additional analog "copies" of each return channel there also, these are on the back of the Behringer units, so each output has it's own "buffered" output.

All the preamps can be remote-controlled from FOH via the cat5 cable connecting stage and FOH.  The Preamps have been modified following Appsys's very clear instructions.

The Yamaha DM 2000 can handle two racks like these, whereas each of the 01v96s can handle one rack.  This means either 24/8 or 48/16 for DM2K and always 24/8 for 01v96.  This comes in addition to all the local inputs/outputs at FOH.

When using the DM2K with two preamp racks we can split them up and place them in different locations on stage, meaning that we can have  one along the "front line" and one along the "back line", for instance.

The catch is that one needs a separate Cat5 run for each 24ch/8ret block, so for the "big" DM2K-setup we need to run two Cat5 cables.  This is a small issue in reality as we are usually running a much thicker power cable to FOH anyway.

In the approxemate year we have owned these racks they must have been out doing 250+ gigs total, with the only problem ever being that the power adaptor for the actual Appsys unit/converters somtimes will work loose in transit, meaning it needs to be replugged at some point during setup.  I just need to tape it in place to avoid this in the future.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 10:36:46 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.