ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: used Analog gear prices falling and falling, but for how long?  (Read 7760 times)

Scott Helmke

Re: used Analog gear prices falling and falling, but for how long?
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 10:47:24 AM »

Yes, the value of many older boards will fall but not strictly because they're analog, but more because they have lived out their life. Like a car, just because it's old doesn't mean it's worth a lot, digital or analog.

Which is just what I keep seeing as a repair tech - you can get a big analog console pretty cheap, but you're going to have to start replacing pots, faders, switches... not really saving money at all unless you enjoy doing your own work on them.  Professional venues that still have an analog console in play are nursing them along until they can budget for a digital console.

Vinny DAgostino

• Warwick, RI
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 11:45:08 AM »

I find it doesn't matter what Pro Audio gear it is you are trying to sell, nothing has a great resale value these days.
It is a buyers market for sure...just check the Marketplace!

Mark Gensman

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 02:28:59 PM »

Digital is no different than analogue as far as resale goes. The prices for Tascam digital mixers, Yamaha O1V, etc. have gone down as much as prices for analogue consoles.

Analogue doesn't suffer from the major problem with digital. Software upgrades, outdated operating system, etc.

For example, I have a Soundcraft digital console that sold originally for $5,500. I bought it for $800. Just because it's digital is no guarantee of holding it's value.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 06:25:48 PM »

Analogue doesn't suffer from the major problem with digital. Software upgrades, outdated operating system, etc.

Digital doesn't suffer from the major problem with analog.  Noisy pots, switches, etc.   ;)

(cheaper to replace a dozen encoders, which don't tend to get noisy in the first place, than to replace a hundred pots)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 07:29:26 PM »

Digital doesn't suffer from the major problem with analog.  Noisy pots, switches, etc.   ;)

(cheaper to replace a dozen encoders, which don't tend to get noisy in the first place, than to replace a hundred pots)

Amen.

Mac

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2012, 07:48:31 PM »

We've sold off most of our A rig analog processing: the BSS comps and gates, dbx & BSS eqs, Yamaha fx.  Can't sell a PM4000, and we have a pair.

At Logic Systems in St. Louis, they gave a DDA mixer a big send off rather than ship it for a "trade in".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzlfs7_lfU

I was thinking of a more Teutonic finale, but we've not had enough rain to float a cremation barge...
Stones are using two PM4000s on FOH with Clair.   How great is that!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2012, 09:07:20 PM »

Stones are using two PM4000s on FOH with Clair.   How great is that!

Dave Natale owns at least one of those PM4000s.  He's been carrying his personal console with the Stones for as long as I can remember.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2012, 09:07:20 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.