ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: used Analog gear prices falling and falling, but for how long?  (Read 7758 times)

Marc Platt

• Classic LAB
used Analog gear prices falling and falling, but for how long?
« on: December 20, 2012, 04:22:09 AM »

Just saw a member post a link to his No res ebay listing  for his soundcraft series 2 32ch with case and 2 psu's and when i checked it out it already ended at $670
 Man, thats it.? Seems like the market is going digital faster and faster and I am left to wonder.
  Will all our old analog gear depreciate more and more each day until it essentially has no market, or is this stuff going to hit a low point for another 15-20yrs then skyrocket when everyone decides the analog sound to be superior in some way at which point we all tell stories about all the stuff we pawned off for pennies while "upgrading" to digital, and how much that stuff would be worth if we'd kept it.
  Like the tube to solid state transition.
As a child I had dreamed of becoming an engineer. Now all I want to know is, when do I get to drive the train?

Tim Tyler

• Richmond, Va USA
Re: used Analog gear prices falling and falling, but for how long?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 12:24:53 PM »

I suppose the resurrection of the analog consoles will come shortly after the hand crank adding machines...

Merry Christmas,

-Tim T

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 12:25:30 PM »

It's difficult to predict the future, but perhaps looking at other technology that has already gone through the "analog to digital" transition might give some clues.

The most relevant for us might be studio recording technology (not the consoles).  Big 2" analog recorders have already dipped in price and have made a slight resurgence, I think.  But they are far less common today than they were 15 years ago, and now only appeal to a niche market that can afford to keep them running and is willing to put up with their foibles.

The other interesting factor is the value of similar vintage digital tape machines.  I recall seeing a Sony PCM-3348 listed on eBay a few years back that had a "buy it now" price of $1500.  This is a recorder that originally sold for a quarter million dollars!  At the other end of the digital tape scale, ADATS and DA-88s are almost impossible to give away (I've tried!).

GTD

Marc Platt

• Classic LAB
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 12:36:35 PM »

I suppose the resurrection of the analog consoles will come shortly after the hand crank adding machines...

Merry Christmas,

-Tim T
Or the people who knew how to actually add
As a child I had dreamed of becoming an engineer. Now all I want to know is, when do I get to drive the train?

Gary Green

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 11:20:43 PM »

Will all our old analog gear depreciate more and more each day until it essentially has no market, or is this stuff going to hit a low point for another 15-20yrs then skyrocket when everyone decides the analog sound to be superior in some way at which point we all tell stories about all the stuff we pawned off for pennies while "upgrading" to digital, and how much that stuff would be worth if we'd kept it.
  Like the tube to solid state transition.
I literally have this same thought every day while I try to figure out what to do next.  Sitting on an MH3, ML4000. some APBs and a handful of sub 10k digitalis I struggle with the when to sell/ buy / upgrade question constantly . I still see the random No Digital rider and I am perfectly happy with the analog I have, but I don't want "give"the stuff away in the attempt to recoup my investment.
My guess is I will ride it out seeing I missed the sell date on what I have and hope for the best - which is maybe some sort of turnaround.
There was a time when a local surplus auction site could not give away pallets of early Apples  computers . Now I understand those  complete systems bring a fair amount of $ for the collector.
Will these large format analogs see the same fate or become not even worth the cost of storage?
If I had to move them constantly I might have a different perspective, but they stay on site and its no huge deal to strike for shows I need to....I don't feel hopeful....and then there is the investment in outboard.....now I am really depressed..

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 12:21:08 AM »

Not a tube to solid state transition at all but more of a transition to feature ladin single box solutions. Everything in one box for many people is the answer, but not for everyone or every purpose. In my case an APB fills the bill for the board, but a dbx 4800 sits under it, which in some ways works for me better than a full digital solution.

Yes, the value of many older boards will fall but not strictly because they're analog, but more because they have lived out their life. Like a car, just because it's old doesn't mean it's worth a lot, digital or analog.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 09:36:27 AM »

FWIW in a bit of an apples and oranges thing, old digital will probably age less gracefully than old analog, as old digital gets replaced with newer-better-cheaper digital, but the increasing feature content in digital desks will continue to grow in desirability and acceptance challenging analog competitiveness.

As usual individual customers will vary based on their personal experience and preferences. Digital is no longer new and exotic, and quickly not as expensive as it was in the past.

I am glad that I don't have a pony in this race.

JR (Old analog dog now using digital in designs).
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 10:14:21 AM »

Right now it's a buyer's market.  As the economy picks up I see a resurgence of boutique analog gear.  The reality is that, even with ultra-desirable gear (Neve and API pres, LA2, etc), the demand is low.  As more disposable income becomes available, those boutique pieces will fetch larger sums.  Of course, being analog doesn't make a piece desirable - being desirable does.  As Bob pointed out, the value of older analog desks are based more upon the fact that they've been depreciated - $20k for an H3000 seems entirely reasonable.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 10:26:04 AM »

Right now it's a buyer's market.  As the economy picks up I see a resurgence of boutique analog gear.  The reality is that, even with ultra-desirable gear (Neve and API pres, LA2, etc), the demand is low.  As more disposable income becomes available, those boutique pieces will fetch larger sums.  Of course, being analog doesn't make a piece desirable - being desirable does.  As Bob pointed out, the value of older analog desks are based more upon the fact that they've been depreciated - $20k for an H3000 seems entirely reasonable.
To amplify your point - very little analog gear will likely fit the description of "boutique", and have any chance of appreciating from it's current value.  PM4Ks, MH3s, even a lot of the Midas stuff won't likely qualify, and definitely none of the lounge-level stuff.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 10:42:54 AM »

To amplify your point - very little analog gear will likely fit the description of "boutique", and have any chance of appreciating from it's current value.  PM4Ks, MH3s, even a lot of the Midas stuff won't likely qualify, and definitely none of the lounge-level stuff.

We've sold off most of our A rig analog processing: the BSS comps and gates, dbx & BSS eqs, Yamaha fx.  Can't sell a PM4000, and we have a pair.

At Logic Systems in St. Louis, they gave a DDA mixer a big send off rather than ship it for a "trade in".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzlfs7_lfU

I was thinking of a more Teutonic finale, but we've not had enough rain to float a cremation barge...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 10:42:54 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 25 queries.