ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound System Upgrade Recommendations for touring band  (Read 15547 times)

Josh Daws

Re: Sound System Upgrade Recommendations for touring band
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2012, 09:19:15 AM »

I find the statement your making about the dbx processors to be a bit of a stretch. I personally own a 260, 480 and 4800, the 4800 being the newest addition. None of these units have ever been a problem and two of them were bought used from LAB members.

well i know that i have seen alot of our 4800 fail on us, we replaced them with 20ish of the 480's, the screens failed on us (about 25% of them, and the replaced half of our inventory with the 260's, and not as so much of a failure rate, but we have seen the screens go on them too. which is why we decided to switch to the EAW processor.

im not saying that these are not a great unit, because they are fantastic. but we have experienced issues with them. you asked why...and that is why.

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2012, 09:53:09 AM »

well i know that i have seen alot of our 4800 fail on us, we replaced them with 20ish of the 480's, the screens failed on us (about 25% of them, and the replaced half of our inventory with the 260's, and not as so much of a failure rate, but we have seen the screens go on them too. which is why we decided to switch to the EAW processor.

im not saying that these are not a great unit, because they are fantastic. but we have experienced issues with them. you asked why...and that is why.

The screen "went" on mine too, I opened it up, reseated the ribbon, and gooped it with RTV, Good to Go.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2012, 10:39:09 AM »

Here's our reasoning.  The venue can only pay a certain amount.  Lets say they can afford to pay us $3000.00 to play at their fair.  We can tell them they need to provide sound, in which case they'll tell us now the most they can afford is $2500.00.  Or (and this is what we've been doing and prefer to do) We can charge them $3000.00 and from that pay $500.00 for a company to come in to run sound for us.  This way we know exactly what were getting.  My proposal now is that I provide sound and charge the band less than we would pay a local sound company.  I make more money, and the band keeps more money (of which I am a 50% owner... so I get to keep even more money :D  )
There are potential aspects and costs in your providing the sound that you may not be considering.  What happens if something fails or is damaged or stolen, will you have backup equipment with you or be able to get compatible gear in time?   Are you going to have spare cables, power cords, etc. on hand?  How are you going to transport and store the gear?  Is it practical for you to be responsible for the sound system without it affecting your being a member of the band, for example might there be times you need to be two places at once?  What about insurance for both the equipment and the liability when you use it?  How are you going to handle the business side and the related accounting, licensing, taxes and so on with their related costs and effort?

Maybe you have considered these issues but it is important to realize there are potential costs and efforts that may not be immediately obvious.

Josh Daws

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2012, 05:44:14 PM »

The screen "went" on mine too, I opened it up, reseated the ribbon, and gooped it with RTV, Good to Go.

unfortunately ours were juts a little beyond that... :(

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2012, 05:44:14 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.