ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you keep factory packaging?  (Read 2533 times)

Keith Billik

Do you keep factory packaging?
« on: December 19, 2012, 05:37:24 PM »

So I'm cleaning out my basement and realize that a significant amount of space is occupied by empty boxes for microphones, power amps, rack gear, mixers, etc.

I don't realistically think that I will actually need any of the original boxes (I tend to hoard equipment rather than turn it over) - I just have the annoying voice in my head saying "...but you might need it someday!"

Can somebody please just explain to me that keeping original boxes is stupid so I can free up some basement storage space? My wife would thank you.

Thomas Lamb

Re: Do you keep factory packaging?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 05:47:24 PM »

I only keep boxes on anything for 1 year that I can't get repaired locally. For consoles I typically keep it for a year but not longer if I sell it or it needs repair it's in a roadcase. Unless you know your gonna sell it soon don't keep it. If its for rack gear keep a couple of boxes that hold single space a couple that hold amps and that's it. Who cares if you put a eq on a fx processor box to send it in for repair or ship something you sold.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Chris Clark

• Jack of many trades, Master of few.
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 05:56:52 PM »

What Thomas said (beat me to it as I was writing my reply)

At least under warranty periods hanging onto the original boxes is recommended, actually. Many companies require the original packaging for shipping purposes if repair is necessary. Beyond that, once you've gotten to a point in the equipment's lifespan where you won't be sending it out for repair anymore I see it as suitable to dispose of the packaging. (Mackie is one that sticks in my mind as being adamant that you use only the original packaging for shipping, though I think I remember that they'll send you a new box if you request it.)

Just my experience.
Technical Services Coordinator
Entertainment System Designer
Darien Lake Theme Park, Darien Center NY

Gus Housen

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 06:10:07 PM »

I keep what i can afford to store, but I sell used gear all the time (if it aint working , it aint earning)

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 07:18:08 PM »

If its for rack gear keep a couple of boxes that hold single space a couple that hold amps and that's it. Who cares if you put a eq on a fx processor box to send it in for repair or ship something you sold.

Agreed!

Other stuff, like consoles, the rule is:  If it has a flight case it doesn't have a box.

Tony Mitchell

• Event PA Hire
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 07:47:22 PM »

We keep most boxes just for warranty period, plus a few others like single Mac boxes with the CNC'd polystyrene, which can be handy to send a single unit for repair, where the flightcases are twin.   Plus a few generic 1U boxes which can be handy.
Remainder go for recycling.   Having too much cardboard around in the unit isn't a great idea.

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 02:25:27 PM »

I pretty much keep all the boxes, unless that item has it own case (i.e. Mixer & case).

The boxes get store on the top shelf in shop.  I like to hold on to them, just in case I have to mail them for repair. 
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 02:36:24 PM »

It kind of depends on how many of something we own.  We keep at least 1 for each series of amp, more for I- Techs and xti6002 as we have bunches of each although seldom  have needed to ship them for service.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 02:36:24 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 25 queries.