ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundbroker??  (Read 3228 times)

john sanders

• Eastern Long Island, N.Y.
    • Sonimax Light & Sound
Soundbroker??
« on: December 17, 2012, 02:54:05 PM »

Anybody used this service? Comments & feedback on your experiences would be appreciated.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Soundbroker??
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 05:05:15 PM »

Anybody used this service? Comments & feedback on your experiences would be appreciated.

We've used them to buy over $250k of gear over the past several years, but haven't had a transaction through them recently.

Jan's videos are annoying and I don't like the new format where he's taken much of the human side out of process.  It's looking more about being the fixed price ebay of pro audio and selling platinum memberships.

Other than that personal annoyance, we're happy with services they provided.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Randall Hyde

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 05:14:13 PM »

Always seemed a bit expensive to me. OTOH, it generally carries gear that's way out of my price range anyway...
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Rick Powell

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 07:32:54 PM »

Always seemed a bit expensive to me. OTOH, it generally carries gear that's way out of my price range anyway...
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
Never bought from them, but seems like their prices are more of a negotiating starting point rather than a firm price.  Most of the stuff that sells on ebay closes a little lower than SB's prices, for identical items, from what I have seen.

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 12:14:59 PM »

I've bought a few things from them but not for years. I think they add a 20% premium as their cut which usually pushed the price way out of realistic used range. I stopped even looking at the site cause the prices seemed out-of-the-question high. Don't know if there is negotiating allowed, I seem to remember that it was not (but this is over 10 yrs ago). Also the systems were generally humungous and way beyond what I was looking for.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 12:31:40 PM »

I've bought a few things from them but not for years. I think they add a 20% premium as their cut which usually pushed the price way out of realistic used range. I stopped even looking at the site cause the prices seemed out-of-the-question high. Don't know if there is negotiating allowed, I seem to remember that it was not (but this is over 10 yrs ago). Also the systems were generally humungous and way beyond what I was looking for.

I don't recall if the commission is charged to the seller, or if there is a buyer's premium... but the last time we purchased gear through them, we told Richard (he's no longer there, sadly) what we wanted to pay.  He negotiated between seller and buyer to get us all on the same page.  In once case that involved splitting a large rig into 2 smaller rigs.  The half we didn't buy was purchased by a firm 150 miles South of us...

As I pointed out in my first post to this thread, the way the site is arranged and presented now, it looks very much like there is little room for negotiation but I can't say from experience if that is the case.  Call them up and talk to Jan or whoever is in the office and ask.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Aaron Talley

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 09:05:32 AM »

We have sold some things through them recently and it has worked well.
You tell them what you want for your gear and they mark it up by a percentage and that marked up price is the price that appears on the website.
Calling them is the way you will want to communicate with them with a follow up email.

I have had negotiations for every sale completed through them. 

I just had my first gear sale go through Solaris and I do like the communication better.

Talley

Jim Turner

• Calgary, Alberta... Canada eh!
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 01:08:21 PM »

I haven't dealt with Soundbroker but I've purchased through Solaris, getting post paymet info was like pulling teeth... not fun
smile & wave...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 01:08:21 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.