ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: dynacord cobra vs 850ef's  (Read 7779 times)

Ted Christensen

dynacord cobra vs 850ef's
« on: December 16, 2012, 02:54:40 PM »

In overall terms would cobra tops be a step sideways or a step up from 850s.

I'm wondering how many cobra boxes it would take to keep up with the 850s.

Upside is the cobras are less weight and could pack way more in a trailer than 850s.

Thoughts?

P.s these boxes would be used mainly for rock but as well as anything else.
Danley SH46 / Th115 / EV ZX5 / EV QRX212H / QSC HPR / Lab Gruppen / Chauvet / Blizzard / Allen and heath ilive

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: dynacord cobra vs 850ef's
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 04:49:31 PM »

How rider friendly do they need to be?
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 05:11:11 PM »

I believe that in his end of the state, "Makes a good, loud noise" pretty much sums it up.....
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 06:25:14 PM »

In overall terms would cobra tops be a step sideways or a step up from 850s.

I'm wondering how many cobra boxes it would take to keep up with the 850s.

Upside is the cobras are less weight and could pack way more in a trailer than 850s.

Thoughts?

P.s these boxes would be used mainly for rock but as well as anything else.

I'd call it a sideways move. Personally not a big fan of the Cobra's. Every rig I've heard I would describe as "shiney"..

Ted Christensen

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 06:36:53 PM »

rider friendly is important to some degree, once i have something to compare this box to that are on riders it will be ok

If it gets even louder than an 850, cool. Loud is important if those guys like to push a system to the max for no reason, so the headroom is nice. But inteligability is every bet important.

as i have been doing research it sounds like bosch doesnt market these in the US, which could take some time to order for starters. Parts wouldnt to big because its EV based.
Danley SH46 / Th115 / EV ZX5 / EV QRX212H / QSC HPR / Lab Gruppen / Chauvet / Blizzard / Allen and heath ilive

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 08:22:25 PM »

I'd go with the KF850. 

I've ran both Cobra4 (wih DSP & amps package) and KF850 (E's with EAW Analog crossover and QSC PL power amps).

A guy in my area has a Cobra4 rig and his 4 box (2 tops & 2 subs) per side rig is equivalent to a QRX212/SRX728 rig.  I'm putting my rig in the same room as him and getting great responses from the venue staff.
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 08:48:40 PM »

I'd go with the KF850. 

I've ran both Cobra4 (wih DSP & amps package) and KF850 (E's with EAW Analog crossover and QSC PL power amps).

A guy in my area has a Cobra4 rig and his 4 box (2 tops & 2 subs) per side rig is equivalent to a QRX212/SRX728 rig.  I'm putting my rig in the same room as him and getting great responses from the venue staff.

New company Matt? "Meetkatsound.com"
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 08:53:18 PM »

I'd go with the KF850. 

Matt...

2 Cobra tops and 2 Cobra subs/side is your basic Cobra 2 rig.  The only possible difference would be whether or not the subs are the "long throw" version.

A true Cobra 4 rig uses more and more specialized boxes, especially in the subbage with 8 long throw boxes as standard.

Not your QRX stand-in........
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 10:28:51 PM »

Matt...

2 Cobra tops and 2 Cobra subs/side is your basic Cobra 2 rig.  The only possible difference would be whether or not the subs are the "long throw" version.

A true Cobra 4 rig uses more and more specialized boxes, especially in the subbage with 8 long throw boxes as standard.

Not your QRX stand-in........

I'm saying just saying that I have put my QRx/SRX rig in he same rooms (ballrooms & churches) as him and been able to provide great sound for the Client.  I have put my rig in a warehouse for 500 people at a GoGo event and lived (IT8000 can trip a 20amp break with 2 4ohm loads)

The guy who owns the rig does have Top & Far boxes for a complete Cobra4 rig. I believe the "Top" among the Cobra2 & Cobra4 are the same boxes.  The Cobra4 has the "Far" box for the throw.

The set-up for the rigs I've mixed on was (per side):
Cobra: 1-Far, 2-Tops, 4-Subs & 1 amp rack
KF: 2 KF850, 3 SB850 (total: 1 top rack, 1 sub rack)

I preferred the 850 rig over the Cobra-Set-up.  This was a field show and I used my LS9 at front of house.
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

john sanders

• Eastern Long Island, N.Y.
    • Sonimax Light & Sound
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 09:42:02 AM »

Matt,

How many QRX/Srx boxes were you utilizing. In either case as the owner of a QRX212/218 system your report is encouraging.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 09:42:02 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 26 queries.