ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bass rig to compete with 4 Soundbridge 7218SWX's???  (Read 11396 times)

Mark J Snyder

Bass rig to compete with 4 Soundbridge 7218SWX's???
« on: December 16, 2012, 04:18:53 AM »

I'm looking to build a rig that compare's in size and output to 4 Soundbridge 7218SWX cabinets powered by a Powersoft K6.  I'm more sound quality oriented than I am for overall output so I'm not nessisarily looking to beat these cabinets spl but I need close numbers.  I plan on using the same amp and one of the requirements of this rig is that it runs on 20A (just the subs).  The two other cabinets that I've come up with so far are the SB1000z and TH118.  The SB1000z is almost exactly the same size and weight but EAW's numbers are far from Soundbrige in comparison tho how EAW uses numbers maybe not.  I've not heard the TH118 ever and not heard the SB1000z in a fair comparison to the 7218SWX.  The times I've heard the SB1000's there were many more than 4.  My budget for this is 14-15,000 and I'd like to hear thoughts on other cabinet's and possibly amps I could use in this price range.

Thanks -Mark

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Bass rig to compete with 4 Soundbridge 7218SWX's??? More questions.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 09:48:46 AM »

I'm looking to build a rig that compare's in size and output to 4 Soundbridge 7218SWX cabinets powered by a Powersoft K6.  I'm more sound quality oriented than I am for overall output so I'm not nessisarily looking to beat these cabinets spl but I need close numbers.  I plan on using the same amp and one of the requirements of this rig is that it runs on 20A (just the subs).  The two other cabinets that I've come up with so far are the SB1000z and TH118.  The SB1000z is almost exactly the same size and weight but EAW's numbers are far from Soundbrige in comparison tho how EAW uses numbers maybe not.  I've not heard the TH118 ever and not heard the SB1000z in a fair comparison to the 7218SWX.  The times I've heard the SB1000's there were many more than 4.  My budget for this is 14-15,000 and I'd like to hear thoughts on other cabinet's and possibly amps I could use in this price range.

Thanks -Mark
I think you need to clarify what you are looking for.

When you say "Bass rig to compete------------" I am thinking of a bass guitar rig that you are trying to "compete" with the PA that has the Soundbridge subs. 

Is that the case" or are you looking for alternative for the Soundbridge cabinets for use in a PA application.

The answers given will vary depending on the answer to the above question.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mark J Snyder

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 11:21:54 AM »

I think you need to clarify what you are looking for.

When you say "Bass rig to compete------------" I am thinking of a bass guitar rig that you are trying to "compete" with the PA that has the Soundbridge subs. 

Is that the case" or are you looking for alternative for the Soundbridge cabinets for use in a PA application.

The answers given will vary depending on the answer to the above question.

Oh sorry.  No Backline stuff here just PA.  I'm building my sound company bigger to take on more bigger venues.  I'm looking for an alternative yes.  The Soundbridge cabinets don't sound bad but their focus seems to be on output more and their not the greatest sounding.  I can probably get them from the company I speak of for a discount as the owner had a hand in designing these for Soundbridge and he gets them cheap so he may order them for me to make a buck on it.  There is benefit to having the same gear as another local company.  We could rent to eachother if needed but I think I would like to be different in this case and not have a photocopy of his rig.

Thanks -Mark

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 12:34:34 PM »

Oh sorry.  No Backline stuff here just PA.  I'm building my sound company bigger to take on more bigger venues.  I'm looking for an alternative yes.  The Soundbridge cabinets don't sound bad but their focus seems to be on output more and their not the greatest sounding.  I can probably get them from the company I speak of for a discount as the owner had a hand in designing these for Soundbridge and he gets them cheap so he may order them for me to make a buck on it.  There is benefit to having the same gear as another local company.  We could rent to eachother if needed but I think I would like to be different in this case and not have a photocopy of his rig.

Thanks -Mark
Audio is about sound.  If you don't like the way they sound, then it really doesn't matter how good of deal you get on them.

The saying goes "The wrong tool at a great price is still the wrong tool".

Now whether or not those are the "right tool" depends on a lot of factors that depend on your needs.

You could start by looking at measured output freq response graphs (NOT just the simple numbers on a spec sheet)) to get an idea of output capability.  That is a start.  Things that should be considered would be output SPL vs cabinet size, SPL vs amp wattage, low end freq response before boosting to get an idea of real low freq capability, and so forth.

Judging sound quality is something that is a bit more difficult, and really should be done side by side.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

duane massey

Re: Bass rig to compete with 4 Soundbridge 7218SWX's???
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 11:53:10 PM »

Where are you located?
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Mark J Snyder

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 12:41:22 AM »

Audio is about sound.  If you don't like the way they sound, then it really doesn't matter how good of deal you get on them.

The saying goes "The wrong tool at a great price is still the wrong tool".

Now whether or not those are the "right tool" depends on a lot of factors that depend on your needs.

You could start by looking at measured output freq response graphs (NOT just the simple numbers on a spec sheet)) to get an idea of output capability.  That is a start.  Things that should be considered would be output SPL vs cabinet size, SPL vs amp wattage, low end freq response before boosting to get an idea of real low freq capability, and so forth.

Judging sound quality is something that is a bit more difficult, and really should be done side by side.

I'm mostly just looking for suggestions from those experienced with these cabinets.  I need ideas on what gear to look at and opinions on how it measures up before I could get to setting up a side by side comparison.  Tho I don't see any comparisons like that happening anytime soon and I'm trying to possibly come to a decesion in just a couple days.  I know that's not the best way to go about making a decision as this but I'm running out of time to get on with this and I'm close to needing to just make a decesion and stick with it.  If I had to pick without further investigation I'd be ordering SB1000's right now.  I need the cabinets to stack tops on so they need to stack and reach a height of 40-45" or in the TH118's case be that high.  So I believe that puts me out of the market for any other Danley cabinet like the 218.  4 of those and I'll need two K6 amps so that will put me far over budget unless theres some place far cheaper than I've seen.  So I guess I'm out of ideas on what other options to look at in the market...

Mark J Snyder

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 12:42:06 AM »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 07:32:34 AM »

I need the cabinets to stack tops on so they need to stack and reach a height of 40-45" or in the TH118's case be that high.  So I believe that puts me out of the market for any other Danley cabinet like the 218.  4 of those and I'll need two K6 amps so that will put me far over budget unless theres some place far cheaper than I've seen.  So I guess I'm out of ideas on what other options to look at in the market...
That is a very common mistake people make when looking at cabinets.

It is not so much "what it takes to power them properly to full power", but RATHER 'how much it takes to get to a certain SPL".

With a higher sensitivity cabinet, you can use a smaller amp and get just as loud.

Or if you were to take it the other way and say "How many cabinets and amps would it take of XYZ cabinet to  equal 4 Danley DBH218's on 2 K6 amps?

Then the picture starts to look very different.

TOTAL cost of ownership for a particular SPL and low freq response is what you should be looking at.  Not just a small piece of the pie.

Just because a loudspeaker can handle a certain wattage-does not mean you HAVE to use an amp that size.

When people ask what size amp I recommend-I usually say at least ONE watt.  For some cases this is enough (not usually-but yes it does happen and some people are happy with 1 or 2 watt amplifiers).  However in most cases they need something bigger.

Just because your cars speedometer goes to 120MPH do you always drive it that fast?

If you use the "I have to have an amp the size of the rated power", then we will also assume you never driver slower than 120MPH. 

Headroom is nice and sometimes needed. 

Just something to think about.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

gary makovsky

• Delmont (Pittsburgh) PA
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 10:08:18 AM »

I'm looking to build a rig that compare's in size and output to 4 Soundbridge

If you want to compare or at least listen to both brands, I'm in pittsburgh. my partner has 8 xyon subs and I have 4 Danley Minis. Ivan can verify, I believe 4 TH-minis are equal to 1 TH-118???  I can Demo in our warehouse if you are interested.  I will also be just north of youngstown in February at yankee bootleggers with the Danleys if ya just want to hear. I have powersoft K3 or K6. Not sure if there are any th-118 in pittsburgh.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 11:03:14 AM »

If you want to compare or at least listen to both brands, I'm in pittsburgh. my partner has 8 xyon subs and I have 4 Danley Minis. Ivan can verify, I believe 4 TH-minis are equal to 1 TH-118??? 
Four TH-minis powered at rated continuous level would have 3 dB more output than a single TH-118 (140 dB vs. 137 dB) above 50 Hz.
Below 50 Hz, the TH-118 would rule.
If the TH-118 is as loud as my Keystone sub which uses the same driver (and happens to be 45" high, like the OP is looking for) it would easily go louder than the SB1000Z.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 11:08:25 AM by Art Welter »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 11:03:14 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.