ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 01V dual-mix patching/routing advice needed  (Read 5065 times)

Craig Smith

01V dual-mix patching/routing advice needed
« on: December 14, 2012, 11:45:11 AM »

This is a follow up to my thread last month.  I ended up getting an 01V, and now I'm trying to make it work.  This is a performance of Handel's Messiah, and here's the planned setup:
2 soloist mics
2 choir mics
2 orchestra mics
1 piano mic
Main hall that doesn't need much reinforcement and connected overflow hall that needs some of everything, with delay. 

My initial plan was to just route the soloist and piano mics to the main hall mix.  After listening to a rehearsal the piano doesn't need anything there and many of the soloists are OK but a couple could use help.  But there are a couple numbers where some of the choir could use a boost.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this.  Initially I was planning on routing every channel to both layers (using 1-7 and 17-23), sending layer 1 to the stereo bus for the main hall and layer 2 to bus 1 for the overflow.  (Or using the user-assignable layer with both the inputs and the bus so I could control that mix with one layer.) 

But then I realized that if a soloist needed a boost in one mix they would also need it in the other mix.  At first I thought about pairing the channels, but then I realized that would more or less be the same as sending the same input to both mixes.  And I thought that if I got the initial overall balance between mixes right, it might work.  Is that too crazy/risky?

Or I could route mic 1 to inputs 1&2, mic 2 to inputs 3&4, etc, so I could easily change both mixes at once but still have individual flexibility.

Of course, I can't do both mixes from one location very well so I'm not sure how well this will all work.  I was going to try to set up a remote computer but not sure I'll have time.

So what do you recommend?  Thanks very much!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 11:50:48 AM by Craig Smith »

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: 01V dual-mix patching/routing advice needed
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 01:02:09 PM »

Wouldn't a simple Post Fade Aux fix this?
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Craig Smith

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 02:01:20 PM »

I guess it would, maybe I'm overthinking it.  With the aux fader mode I guess I could more easily make adjustments to the other mix.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 11:34:49 PM »

That's what I would do....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Jim Thorn

• State College, PA
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 01:04:08 AM »

Craig,

I vote for a post-fader aux, with the outlying area receiving the main mix, and the room with the stage receiving the aux mix.  Put everything in the main mix, and mix it by monitoring with headphones.  Subtract unneeded sources in the main room by reducing their send levels in the aux mix.  If you have a rehearsal, you'll have a good chance to get a reasonable starting mix nailed.

I have done this many times for board recordings, but I only had to do it once for an overflow room.  Got no complaints.

Best wishes!
Jim Thorn

I guess it would, maybe I'm overthinking it.  With the aux fader mode I guess I could more easily make adjustments to the other mix.

Craig Smith

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 11:28:47 AM »

Thanks very much, sounds great.  We actually had a rehearsal and a performance yesterday but without the overflow, and I didn't get a chance to play with this.  There will be a little bit of warm-up but I'll probably have to wing most of it.

I was initially thinking of having the main mix for the main room and the aux for the overflow, which I guess might work if I left the channels on and faders up but didn't assign them to the stereo bus, but your method makes more sense.  And I don't have to solo the aux to monitor it.  The only catch is I don't really need a stereo mix in the overflow (although I guess that's fine), but want it stereo in the main room.  It looks like I can pair auxes to get that.

Craig Smith

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 10:04:45 AM »

I went ahead and used the main mix for the overflow and used post fader aux 1/2 paired for the main room.  (Repatched auxes 5-8 to effects; not sure why the default is 1-4 to both the omni outs and to the effects.)  It worked OK.  I set up layer 4 with the 8 inputs on the left and the aux on the right next to the main mix fader.

Pretty happy with the mixer.  Wish the screen could tilt though.  Layout of the buttons on the left seems strange to me; I'd put the fader mode and layer buttons all in one section, and change to Home button in the Display section to just meters.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 03:36:27 PM »

I went ahead and used the main mix for the overflow and used post fader aux 1/2 paired for the main room.  (Repatched auxes 5-8 to effects; not sure why the default is 1-4 to both the omni outs and to the effects.)  It worked OK.  I set up layer 4 with the 8 inputs on the left and the aux on the right next to the main mix fader.

Pretty happy with the mixer.  Wish the screen could tilt though.  Layout of the buttons on the left seems strange to me; I'd put the fader mode and layer buttons all in one section, and change to Home button in the Display section to just meters.

I know this is over now, but the way I would've dealt with this is to have a mic (Or 2 if stereo) in the main hall. This mic would be located halfway back somewhere so it captures the whole room sound. Then use a PRE fade aux to send that to the overflow. If the overflow then needs anything else you can mix those channels in POST fade. That way individual soloists will fade in and out, and the overflow room will have a constant level provided by the main room "room" mics.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Craig Smith

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 08:03:41 PM »

I know this is over now, but the way I would've dealt with this is to have a mic (Or 2 if stereo) in the main hall. This mic would be located halfway back somewhere so it captures the whole room sound. Then use a PRE fade aux to send that to the overflow. If the overflow then needs anything else you can mix those channels in POST fade. That way individual soloists will fade in and out, and the overflow room will have a constant level provided by the main room "room" mics.
Worth thinking about; I'll probably do this again.  My only concern is amplifying audience noise.  I was going to set up a room mic for recording but didn't for that reason, but wish I had now.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 05:26:47 AM »

Worth thinking about; I'll probably do this again.  My only concern is amplifying audience noise.  I was going to set up a room mic for recording but didn't for that reason, but wish I had now.

Audience noise is something you just have to deal with. There are many times that I wished I could get rid of the audience so I could enjoy a nice, quiet show, but it just never seems works out that way for me.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 05:26:47 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 25 queries.