ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: dynacord cobra vs 850ef's  (Read 7793 times)

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
Re: dynacord cobra vs 850ef's
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 10:12:13 AM »

Matt,

How many QRX/Srx boxes were you utilizing. In either case as the owner of a QRX212/218 system your report is encouraging.

I am running 1 QRx212 over 2 SRX718s per side.  I don’t have a problem throwing my rig up in front of 350 people; it’ll tickle the limiters at a rock show with the snare’s snap.  I have ran a couple shows with 2 QRx212 per side; mainly 500 person rock shows.

If I was to do that GoGo show again, I would have doubled the rig… but there was a miscommunication on room size and such.  But having the Itech amps probably saved me from blowing anything up.

The Cobra rig that I have used a few times, at the end of event I always think that something is off with the rig.  It sounds like there is a phasing issue amongst the stack.  Everything is set-up using Factory DSP Presets.
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 12:45:20 PM »

I am running 1 QRx212 over 2 SRX718s per side.  I don’t have a problem throwing my rig up in front of 350 people; it’ll tickle the limiters at a rock show with the snare’s snap.  I have ran a couple shows with 2 QRx212 per side; mainly 500 person rock shows.

If I was to do that GoGo show again, I would have doubled the rig… but there was a miscommunication on room size and such.  But having the Itech amps probably saved me from blowing anything up.

The Cobra rig that I have used a few times, at the end of event I always think that something is off with the rig.  It sounds like there is a phasing issue amongst the stack.  Everything is set-up using Factory DSP Presets.

A properly set up Cobra rig has a fine sound.  As far as that goes, most rigs will sound fine if optimally set up and not run beyond their capacity.  I don't want to come off as a total Cobra fan-boy, but if it doesn't sound good (what is a "phasing issue"?), it's most likely OE.   Anything to do with "phase" or the like is probably in the setup, not the gear.......unless the gear has been re-wired or improperly repaired.

Check the cabling........
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Dave Bigelow

• Louisville, KY when I am actually home...
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 04:54:16 PM »

I've ran both many of times inside and outdoors and there is no way the Cobra keeps up with a lesser properly powered and processed 850s.

Yes, Cobras sound "off" to me when pushed hard at outdoor rocks shows. Seems like the mids come and go due to whatever they do with the processing. I've read about it in the past and I understand that it is basically it's way of saying either "you're pushing me too hard" or "There aren't enough of us to do this gig".

A quick look at B level riders still shows 850s, cobras are not listed on any of those I have read in quite a long time now.

Decent little rigs but I think this is an apples to watermelons kind of conversation.

Ted Christensen

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 02:21:41 AM »

:P
I've ran both many of times inside and outdoors and there is no way the Cobra keeps up with a lesser properly powered and processed 850s.

Yes, Cobras sound "off" to me when pushed hard at outdoor rocks shows. Seems like the mids come and go due to whatever they do with the processing. I've read about it in the past and I understand that it is basically it's way of saying either "you're pushing me too hard" or "There aren't enough of us to do this gig".

A quick look at B level riders still shows 850s, cobras are not listed on any of those I have read in quite a long time now.

Decent little rigs but I think this is an apples to watermelons kind of conversation.

Thanks everyone for the input! I decided I will stay with my 850s for a while.

Dave, what are you classifying as underpowered?
Danley SH46 / Th115 / EV ZX5 / EV QRX212H / QSC HPR / Lab Gruppen / Chauvet / Blizzard / Allen and heath ilive

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 02:21:41 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.