ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The Photographer and the Chef  (Read 4911 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: The Photographer and the Chef
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 10:15:10 AM »

I have discovered empirically that I do not get along with a razor sharp kitchen knife. I will run the steel hone (?) across mine occasionally when it feels like it needs it, but not every time I use it. We have an understanding.

JR

PS: There are two greenhouses in my tiny burg growing tomatoes, but I just buy them canned, already chopped up or crushed.
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 10:44:16 AM »

Great gear is helpful, but I've always said that if you can't mix a passable show with Peavey speakers, SM-58's and a Mackie mixer, you need to work on your skills.

I do a lot of school installs with budget gear. Yesterday I got the following email from an elementary school principal, after reconfiguring their Peavey PR12 speakers with a Drive Rack and new Crown 28M rack mixer, plus a little training:
"Thank you for the work on the sound system.  It made a huge difference....HUGE!   Parents were not rushing and crowding the stage....everyone could hear...the sound was wonderful...it was the first really normal Holiday Program that we have had here in 6 years mainly where we could ALL hear the children singing!!!
Thank you so very much."

Gear: cheap.
Job satisfaction: Priceless.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 11:27:41 AM »

Gear: cheap.  inexpensive, affordable, within budget
Job satisfaction: Priceless.

See also "appropriate".

Ed
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 04:11:39 PM »

A famous chef had a little free time and decided to check out an art gallery down the street from his restaurant.

While contemplating one particularly compelling picture, the photographer approached and asked the chef's opinion.

The chef, after explaining how he appreciated the way the light fell on the subject, said "you must have a really good camera."

To which, the photographer began expounding how just the other day he had a most fantastic meal at the chef's restaurant. As the chef beamed with pride, the photographer deflated him with "you must have some excellent pots and pans."

The moral of this story is that it's not the quality of the tools that makes the difference for a finely crafted product, but rather the experience and talent of the person using those tools.

The same applies to every trade, even audio and lighting production. We may like to slam Behringer and drool over Midas, but really it's the person behind the board polishing the performer's sound that creates a memorable experience for the audience, not the equipment. The best tool in incapable hands will never perform as well as the poorest tool in talented and experienced hands.

The best thing any professional can do is pass his knowledge to the next generation. The world will become a better place. That's what I love about professional audio, you who have much more experience than I are more than willing to share. I feel there are no trade secrets here.

100% agree with the theory behind it not the wood it's the craftsmen who carved it. But I've never had a painting a meal or carving leave me stranded at a show. I think most of us can make it sound as good to anyone except those who can tell the difference between 2.00 a foot and 200.00 a foot 12awg the question I still have is what's the longevity?
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 04:11:39 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.