ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another sad passing  (Read 2005 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Another sad passing
« on: December 11, 2012, 11:59:25 PM »

Ravi Shankar died today. He was a large part of my youth, and became a big influence on pop music through his association with George Harrison among others. Another sad day.

http://zeenews.india.com/entertainment/music/sitar-maestro-pandit-ravi-shankar-passes-away_124303.htm

Mac

Lee Brenkman

Re: Another sad passing
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 01:04:29 AM »

Ravi Shankar died today. He was a large part of my youth, and became a big influence on pop music through his association with George Harrison among others. Another sad day.

http://zeenews.india.com/entertainment/music/sitar-maestro-pandit-ravi-shankar-passes-away_124303.htm

Mac

A big part of my life too.   As a teenaged sound guy in 1967or so he and Alla Rakha were the very first Indian classical musicians I ever put microphones in front of.

It didn't take me very long down the road that as far as that genre was concerned I'd already "started at the top"

He was very patient and understanding of someone who had NO idea "where the sound came out on that thing".

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 09:26:39 AM »

A big part of my life too.   As a teenaged sound guy in 1967or so he and Alla Rakha were the very first Indian classical musicians I ever put microphones in front of.

It didn't take me very long down the road that as far as that genre was concerned I'd already "started at the top"

He was very patient and understanding of someone who had NO idea "where the sound came out on that thing".

RIP Ravi.  His "East Meets West" album with Yehudi Menuhin was a groundbreaking effort and an incredible fusion of genres.

http://www.amazon.com/West-Meets-East-Historic-Collection/dp/B00002CF0J

Best regards,

John

john lutz

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 10:58:59 AM »

Sad indeed.  I actually still have 2 mint records - only played 2 or 3 times then put on cassette.  Indias Master Musician and Improvisations.  Found them at a goodwill in the early 80's - one unopened.  So wonderful !  Put on the headphones, sit back, and dream.  Interestingly - the studio they recorded at must have been pretty basic compared to today as you can clearly hear traffic noise in the background.

Farewell Ravi.

Tim Halligan

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 01:32:29 PM »

This has been a hell of a week.

First Brubeck, now Shankar.

RIP

Cheers,
Tim
An analogue brain in a digital world.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 01:32:29 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.