ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie with large room home theater audio questions  (Read 3357 times)

John Kelly

Newbie with large room home theater audio questions
« on: December 11, 2012, 10:05:45 PM »

Newbie here and not even sure if this is the correct forum for such questions, but I will give it a shot.  I am looking to significantly upgrade my home audio portion of my theater.  My room is large, 24'x48'x9' and I have gone away from the typical home audio (mega expensive) stuff like B&W, etc because they really can't fill my room.  I mostly watch concert DVD's which is my I am here and not a home theater forum, although I am active in a few of those.  So here is my current setup.

Made the jump to Pro Audio front speakers and bought 3 JTR Triple 12LF speakers.  They are driven by an Emotiva 200Wx5 amp.  I also have 2 JTR Captivator subs driven by a Crest 4000CC amp.  The system is good and far more clear and loud than any typical home sudio stuff.  My problem is I want to feel like I am front row at a concert.  I blame this addiction to my recent seeing Roger Waters perform The Wall 14x, often with front row seats.

Anyway, hope you guys can lend a few suggestions for taking my system to the next level.  Any questions ask away!

John Kelly

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
Re: Newbie with large room home theater audio questions
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 01:20:39 AM »

John the problem is home audio is way more subjective then pro audio.  The general consensus is that pro PA gear is generally not suitable for home audio.

Doing a good job of producing live sound in very small venues can be quite a challenge.

I'm glad you are happy with your rig, but they probably isn't anything you can do with you PA system to improve you happiness. You will simply have to build a concert hall annex to your house and put in a line array....or something.

Jared Koopman

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 02:15:29 AM »

Newbie here and not even sure if this is the correct forum for such questions, but I will give it a shot.  I am looking to significantly upgrade my home audio portion of my theater.  My room is large, 24'x48'x9' and I have gone away from the typical home audio (mega expensive) stuff like B&W, etc because they really can't fill my room.  I mostly watch concert DVD's which is my I am here and not a home theater forum, although I am active in a few of those.  So here is my current setup.

Made the jump to Pro Audio front speakers and bought 3 JTR Triple 12LF speakers.  They are driven by an Emotiva 200Wx5 amp.  I also have 2 JTR Captivator subs driven by a Crest 4000CC amp.  The system is good and far more clear and loud than any typical home sudio stuff.  My problem is I want to feel like I am front row at a concert.  I blame this addiction to my recent seeing Roger Waters perform The Wall 14x, often with front row seats.

Anyway, hope you guys can lend a few suggestions for taking my system to the next level.  Any questions ask away!

John Kelly

John, to be completely honest, if the JTR setup you have isn't enough than pretty much you need to start with DIY solutions. The JTR home theater system is one of the better setups you can do. I would talk to Jeff at JTR and just see what he recommends, he knows his stuff.

You could consider Chase Home Theater, or Seaton Sound but honestly I dont think the performance will be much different, or better.

CHeck out the AVScience forums for more DIY speaker systems. Search for the users MKtheater or RMK! as they both have high performance systems and know a thing or two. RMK uses a combination of Danley and JTR subs (at least used to, he changes his system often).

Or buy more orb shifters and see if that helps. :)

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 07:02:14 AM »

Talk to Jeff at JTR, look into Orbit Shifter LF subs.

I would get a different amp.  Lab C48:4 for the tops, as the subs are powered.  Even if you aren't running them at max SPL, undersized amps chop the peaks of the audio waveform and it sounds canned.

How has the system been tuned?  Do you need better tuning tools?  A Lab PLM10000Q would provide this instead of the C48:4.

Room acoustics?
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 09:23:06 AM »

Talk to Jeff at JTR, look into Orbit Shifter LF subs.

I would get a different amp.  Lab C48:4 for the tops, as the subs are powered.  Even if you aren't running them at max SPL, undersized amps chop the peaks of the audio waveform and it sounds canned.

How has the system been tuned?  Do you need better tuning tools?  A Lab PLM10000Q would provide this instead of the C48:4.

Room acoustics?

I agree with Caleb about this-I suspect you really need bigger and better amplifiers.  Emotiva 200 watts x 5 on Triple 12's?  A Crest CC series on subs?

Get something better on the tops first, pro stuff I've used on them include PLX3602 from QSC, Crown iTech, 4k.  There are others.

I'd suggest an alternative to Orbit Shifter LF's instead, but that is not a bad idea.  You could just add two more Captivators to the setup with additional amp.

Best regards,

John

Cosmo

• SR Forums
  • Northern Colorado, USA
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 11:53:04 AM »

Then there is the Danley Jericho. 

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/products/loud-speakers/jericho/

A couple of those should be loud enough for ya.

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.  Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away.  - H.D. Thoreau

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 05:59:07 PM »

Ear plugs plus hearing muffs, and still his hearing would evaporate pretty quick.  Love the idea though, want to purchase a pair for me to 'test' for you long term first?

I haven't heard the Orbit Shifters, but a pair of Danley DBH-218-LC's corner loaded will get down to nearly 20Hz (depending on room gain) with plenty of output and impact.  A K20 DSP amp completes the sub package. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 08:01:44 PM »

When you really want to reproduce gun shots and explosions-can you say dynamic range.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 08:01:44 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 25 queries.