ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Behringer X32  (Read 22813 times)

Bob L. Wilson

Re: Behringer X32
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 07:22:15 PM »

1. Where did they put those headphone jacks>? Oh- in the side handles. That's ten minutes of my life I will never get back. It is nice, however that there are two headphone outputs, especially when teaching how to use the desk. Unfortunately, the headphone amps need more gain to do the common task of soloing up an open mic to see if it is working.

There is an icon and arrow on the surface on each side. This was actually fairly smart as the jacks are both off the PCBs now and mounted to the most resilient part of the console the injection molded side panels. No more will an accidental yank on the headphone jack while reaching for something cause a channel to stop working. (I actually saw this happen on a Roland console one time.)

Jared Koopman

Behringer X32
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 09:10:03 PM »

I've recently spent quite a few hours on an X32. I met two gentlemen at a local music store who were returning the unit b/c it was "too complicated". I've since trained them on the unit and they are quite happy. The desk has a pretty nice sound but there are a number of petty annoyances I have with the mixer which will keep me a happy Yamaha user for a while:

1. Where did they put those headphone jacks>? Oh- in the side handles. That's ten minutes of my life I will never get back. It is nice, however that there are two headphone outputs, especially when teaching how to use the desk. Unfortunately, the headphone amps need more gain to do the common task of soloing up an open mic to see if it is working.

2. Too many nested menu levels. Try to re-name the channel strip without cracking open the PDF manual.... I will wait...... I'm still waiting..... Yeah - I don't really like have to press 4 or 5 navigation keys to do something so basic. Nice however to have the b/g color on the channel strip, makes reaching for a fader more intuitive. 

3. Console has input routing, but it looks like only in groups of 8. At least that is what I glean from the UI and manual. This will make it a little tough to bring in a single channel multiple times like I often to on the M7 or 01v96.

4. Console has 16 mix buss and 8 effects, but only 4 of the effects can have their input coming from a mix bus. the other 4 have to be used as insert effects, patched into an input, or as an insert in a mix bus master, which kind of makes them useable, but it takes a long time to achieve this.

Admittedly, these are petty annoyances. The console does sound very nice. The pre-amps are quiet, the effects (the ones I've tried) are effective, the compressors and gates work well, the EQ sounds natural, but frankly I use very little.  There ARE delays available on all the analog outputs and inputs (one of the reasons I won't use a Presonus desk for live work) The USB recorder works pretty well, but you will need a class 6 or better memory stick. The USB output for multi-track is pretty easy to use.

Is the console a good value? You be the judge. My own preference is toward an 01v96 with additional preamps. If recallable preamps are of value to you, perhaps you should give this desk consideration.

1. I actually have found the location of the headphone jacks ideal...it's easy to keep the cable out of the way yet still handy when needed.

2.  Again I think that once you learn where stuff is at it is really quite easy to mix on. So what if it take 5 minutes the first time, after that its quick. They moved all the channel scribble strip settings to the setup menu, or you can simply hit the select button + utility or the channel you wish to edit.

3. The only place that the "blocks of 8" really factor in is when using the digital snake and patching to a daw or something. You can patch input 1 to all 16 faders I you want to.

4. Not sure what you mean by take too much time. Simple select that channel you want to an effect bus and hit bus 13-16 up in the channel strip and rotate the knob for the effect you wish to route to. Inserting is also simple. Which part is slowing you down?

With any digital board I think there is a learning curve. It's like buying a new car...all the same controls are there, just in different locations. And you have to learn where they are at. But once you do it's simple enough to navigate.

It's not for everyone but I think overall it's a decent mixer to learn on.

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 09:21:19 PM »

1. I actually have found the location of the headphone jacks ideal...it's easy to keep the cable out of the way yet still handy when needed.

2.  Again I think that once you learn where stuff is at it is really quite easy to mix on. So what if it take 5 minutes the first time, after that its quick. They moved all the channel scribble strip settings to the setup menu, or you can simply hit the select button + utility or the channel you wish to edit.

3. The only place that the "blocks of 8" really factor in is when using the digital snake and patching to a daw or something. You can patch input 1 to all 16 faders I you want to.

4. Not sure what you mean by take too much time. Simple select that channel you want to an effect bus and hit bus 13-16 up in the channel strip and rotate the knob for the effect you wish to route to. Inserting is also simple. Which part is slowing you down?

With any digital board I think there is a learning curve. It's like buying a new car...all the same controls are there, just in different locations. And you have to learn where they are at. But once you do it's simple enough to navigate.

It's not for everyone but I think overall it's a decent mixer to learn on.

What is the street price.  for a console and 32ch worth of digital snake out if curiosity though?
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 09:57:12 PM »

What is the street price.  for a console and 32ch worth of digital snake out if curiosity though?
MAP (minimum advertised price) is $2999 for the X32, and $899 for each (of 2 necessary) S16 digital snake.  That gives you 32 channels with 16 returns.  Of course, actual pricing would be a bit lower after some shopping around.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 09:57:12 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 20 queries.