ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Direct run guitars feeding back through FOH  (Read 6830 times)

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
Re: Direct run guitars feeding back through FOH
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 10:57:23 PM »

Investing in a good 50-75' guitar cable will let them get off stage and down in front of the PA to hear what it sounds like. Guessing scooped mids, which in a band context combined with massive gain means sonic mud.

With them playing out front, have another band member tweak the gain, and then they'll be a lot happier vs. telling you that "No, Dude - this is my sound and it rocks at home!" (i had the same thing on several presets and ended up programming a live bank of presets and one for the home studio).

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 07:29:27 AM »

+1
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Aaron Kelley

• Real Life Church
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 09:09:03 AM »

Hi all, need some advice on were to start looking -

My band(3 guitars, bass, keys, drums) all play through pedal board/amp sims, and we all use IEMs.  The only thing acoustic onstage is the drums.  We are getting some nasty feedback from the guitars at FOH.  I know the first suggestion will be gates, but this feedback is nearly immediate when they stop playing.  To get gates to cut them off it's going to sound like someone turning the guitars on and off with a light switch, and not in a good way.

Our tops are EAW LA325s w/ Yamaha 218s on the bottom.  We are always behind the stacks, and our guitarists are usually at least 4-5 away from the stacks.

I'm really at a loss of where to start looking.  It took a lot of convincing to get my guitarists to ditch their amps, and if this continues I'm going to lose them back to their 4x12s :(

Hey man, I mix sound at my church and to be honest, we rock it loud. Our lead guitarist goes through a tube amp that I have double mic'd that I placed in a corner where it doesn't spill over the stage too much and he is so happy to be able to run through the amp. Which makes me happy too because as a guitar player also, I love tubes. Besides that, our rythem guitarst is going stright through the PA with a pedal board. I've never had feedback from him because I tell both guitarist to keep the gain at 11-12 o'clock. If they have any delay or reverb in a digital pedal, they need to check the gain and threshold on those. If it's not the pedals or compression, check your gain on your console. If you are running your faders below 0 and -6 and are running your gains high, that could be the problem also.
Hope this helps.
In regards, Aaron J. Kelley
Real Life Church, Columbus, MS
reallifems.com

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 12:47:06 PM »

If you are running your faders below 0 and -6 and are running your gains high, that could be the problem also.

Nope.  Gain is gain is gain, no matter whether it is at the pre or  the fader.  Running the pre hot and the fader low is the same as running the pre low and the fader high......or running them both properly.  It's all the same in the end except perhaps (with cheap gear) the S/N ratio.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 12:49:46 PM »

Nope.  Gain is gain is gain, no matter whether it is at the pre or  the fader.  Running the pre hot and the fader low is the same as running the pre low and the fader high......or running them both properly.  It's all the same in the end except perhaps (with cheap gear) the S/N ratio.

+1.  Gain is gain is gain.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Aaron Kelley

• Real Life Church
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 10:23:15 AM »

ok. sorry for the misunderstanding. Scratch the gain portion.
In regards, Aaron J. Kelley
Real Life Church, Columbus, MS
reallifems.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 10:23:15 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 25 queries.