ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digitizing 8mm film?  (Read 1377 times)

Matt Collins

Digitizing 8mm film?
« on: December 11, 2012, 11:04:37 AM »

So I am home for the holidays and my mom bought a 8mm projector off of eBay to play back some old family films that were recorded back in the 60's and 70's. She wants to simply video record them with a camera during playback to capture them. I am skeptical of that method as I don't think it's the best way to do it.

There are a few clips in these reels that are historically significant, my family being from Memphis, there is footage of MLK and Elvis.

Anyone here used a digitizing and correction / restoration service before? What should I look out for? What do I need to be aware of?

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
Re: Digitizing 8mm film?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 12:15:00 PM »

I've had good results with ScanDigital on photos; they also do 8mm film.

The only thing I learned was that on the photo scans, it's worth it to do the Highest Quality over Normal Quality if you want to view them on anything bigger than a 17" monitor. For a 5" reel of 8MM, the price is $56 vs. $76. I'd spend the extra $20. My parents had digitized a bunch of the old home movies about 8 years ago to VHS; I'm thinking I may grab that film next time I'm home and re-digitize it with them.

More info at www.scandigital.com.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Digitizing 8mm film?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 12:15:00 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.