ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: strange problems LS9  (Read 2856 times)

David Parker

strange problems LS9
« on: December 09, 2012, 05:18:23 PM »

I've been having a lot of strange problems lately, all over the map as far as what is going on, usually garbled sound from one monitor channel, one main side, one monitor mix, and none of them can be reproduced when I set out to troubleshoot. Has anyone had problems like this that came from their digital mixer? It's hard to diagnose something that is intermittent and all over the map. I just installed cabling from the wordclock out to both of my expansion units and they locked with no problem, thinking my previous use of adat only to sync might be the problem. So far that doesn't seem to have helped anything but my peace of mind.

David Simpson

Re: strange problems LS9
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 06:02:40 PM »

What have you done to trouble shoot the problem so far? What do you mean by "expansion units"?  Have you tried running an old show file, or removing the newly added gear in the chain? Word clock issues typically appear as digital artifacts, pops or glitches while one piece of gear tries to catch up.  Do you think that might be what you are hearing?

Troubleshooting an intermittent problem can be quite maddening.

~Dave

David Parker

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 06:12:04 PM »

What have you done to trouble shoot the problem so far? What do you mean by "expansion units"?  Have you tried running an old show file, or removing the newly added gear in the chain? Word clock issues typically appear as digital artifacts, pops or glitches while one piece of gear tries to catch up.  Do you think that might be what you are hearing?

Troubleshooting an intermittent problem can be quite maddening.

~Dave

musician complains about monitors, I go listen and it sounds fine. Set everything up at home just as it was at show and test monitors, they sound fine. After two different musicians had similar complaints, it made me think there might be a real problem. One musician has had no complaints since the night he complained, and I haven't changed anything. Latest problem turned out to be a bad patch cable, fortunately it manifest itself during troubleshooting.

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 03:15:00 PM »

musician complains about monitors, I go listen and it sounds fine. Set everything up at home just as it was at show and test monitors, they sound fine. After two different musicians had similar complaints, it made me think there might be a real problem. One musician has had no complaints since the night he complained, and I haven't changed anything. Latest problem turned out to be a bad patch cable, fortunately it manifest itself during troubleshooting.

Might be a cable somewhere that's has an end that's 99% broken, but not 100% ... yet.

During sound check the other night, the kick drum was half as loud as it should be and had no low end to it at all.  I ran a cable bypassing the subsnake and all was good.  Brought the snake home and opened up the stage box.  On that channel, one strand of wire out of the 12 to 15 or so was still intact.  The rest were open.  Fixed that and all is good now.   (while I was in there, I looked at all the other connections and found 2 other channels that were going to cause problems soon.)

David Parker

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 07:32:51 PM »

Might be a cable somewhere that's has an end that's 99% broken, but not 100% ... yet.

During sound check the other night, the kick drum was half as loud as it should be and had no low end to it at all.  I ran a cable bypassing the subsnake and all was good.  Brought the snake home and opened up the stage box.  On that channel, one strand of wire out of the 12 to 15 or so was still intact.  The rest were open.  Fixed that and all is good now.   (while I was in there, I looked at all the other connections and found 2 other channels that were going to cause problems soon.)

that's exactly what my latest problem turned out to be, a bad XLR. I'm going to go over all the rest of them with my tester, wiggle them and watch the lights to see if any are weak. Might spray down my snakes on both ends with contact cleaner.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 07:32:51 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 25 queries.