ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Help! A&H GL2400 Blowing Input AC Fuse  (Read 5948 times)

Pat Pollard

Need Help! A&H GL2400 Blowing Input AC Fuse
« on: December 10, 2012, 08:00:18 PM »

Local Community Theatre in NE CT. has GL2400 40 Ch mixer that is approx. 2 yrs old. The unit has been performing well. During Tech rehearsal last week the unit was powered off than back on via a Surge protected power strip that supplies power to a bank of Shure ULX Receivers as well.
The GL2400 did not power back up. The main ac 1.6a fuse was blown. Replacement fuse tried and same results. >:(

I want to open the console to investigate as this unit has an internal power supply. I have most of the service drawings but I have never opened this console before. The PSU Module appears to be an assembly that I hope also contains the PSU PCB. From the drawing it appears to be fairly straight forward as to the r&r of the module if this is indeed the failed part.

Any suggestions as to how to proceed an doing problem determination for this type  of failure and suggestions as best way to open console is appreciated. I have searched and found recommendations of going through the bottom cover and it would appear that all is exposed via the bottom. I have read about some PSU failures on the board but mostly overheat and fan related.   I have to assume that something in the main ac circuit is shorted out between either Pos feed and ground or neutral causing high amp draw across the fuse on power up. I am hoping that nothing beyond the PSU was taken out as a result..

Like I said.. any help , suggestions, is appreciated... hoping to save the theatre some $$ instead of sending it off for repair ... the PSU Module  is around $200...

Thanks,
Pat 
Volunteer Tech Dir , Sound FOH , Lighting and rigger  (I do windows on occasion too  ;D )

Jordan Wolf

Re: Need Help! A&H GL2400 Blowing Input AC Fuse
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 08:23:45 PM »

Pat,

You should contact Carey Davies at Allen & Heath.

He watches these forums from time to time and should be able to point you in the right direction.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 08:58:48 PM »

Like I said.. any help , suggestions, is appreciated... hoping to save the theatre some $$ instead of sending it off for repair ... the PSU Module  is around $200...

Thanks,
Pat 
Volunteer Tech Dir , Sound FOH , Lighting and rigger  (I do windows on occasion too  ;D )

Send it out for repair. 

This is a case of 'if you have to ask how, it indicates you may not be qualified to do it safely'.

Bill Burford

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 10:14:49 PM »

in addition to everything else..
or possibly prior..
I'd try disconnecting the inputs and outputs.. all of them.. power it up and see if it still blows the fuse in case it is some kind of
ground loop problem in there.  its doubtful but its worth a shot.  sometimes a bad cable run combined with some faulty components or chaffing or who knows.. it is doubtful but worth noting prior to your call.
This forum helped me

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 10:49:28 PM »

...in case it is some kind of
ground loop problem in there...
Bill,

I think that's a good idea.  It is certainly possible that there may be something wrong with the circuit the console is plugged into.

The OP may want to measure the voltage on that circuit, especially from the Neutral (the wider hole) to Ground.  If there is any more than 3V measured, I'd be inclined to say faulty wiring somewhere upstream from the outlet.

If the OP measures a significant voltage overage (125V?) between Hot and Ground, that may also indicate an issue.

Either way, it's an option to consider.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 01:11:37 PM »

Local Community Theatre in NE CT. has GL2400 40 Ch mixer that is approx. 2 yrs old. The unit has been performing well. During Tech rehearsal last week the unit was powered off than back on via a Surge protected power strip that supplies power to a bank of Shure ULX Receivers as well.
The GL2400 did not power back up. The main ac 1.6a fuse was blown. Replacement fuse tried and same results. >:(

I want to open the console to investigate as this unit has an internal power supply. I have most of the service drawings but I have never opened this console before. The PSU Module appears to be an assembly that I hope also contains the PSU PCB. From the drawing it appears to be fairly straight forward as to the r&r of the module if this is indeed the failed part.

Any suggestions as to how to proceed an doing problem determination for this type  of failure and suggestions as best way to open console is appreciated. I have searched and found recommendations of going through the bottom cover and it would appear that all is exposed via the bottom. I have read about some PSU failures on the board but mostly overheat and fan related.   I have to assume that something in the main ac circuit is shorted out between either Pos feed and ground or neutral causing high amp draw across the fuse on power up. I am hoping that nothing beyond the PSU was taken out as a result..

Thanks,
Pat 
The fuse looks like a standard 1.6a 250v, not the Slow blow type. If are using the right one and it continues to pop have you tried a fuse rated a little bit bigger? Is it popping them immediately or is there some delay? If it pops a bigger fuse immediately it is time for surgery. I had the power supply on someone’s early GL2400 blow the top off one of the chips inside of it. Unless they have changed it the power supply wires are soldered to different places inside the console. On the one I replaced I cut the lines removed the old power supply and spliced the new lines to the cut old lines and heat shrunk each wire to insulate it. It isn’t a hard repair if you know what you are doing and it was easier to splice it in then to get at all of the solder point on the circuit boards. If you aren’t an experienced tech you shouldn’t be messing around with things like this especially where electricity is involved.   

I still have that old blown up power supply and I just looked at it and it never blow the fuse it just blew a chip in the power supply. I was going to change the chip (IC2) but it blew the top off of it and I didn’t know what to replace it with. I guess I hung onto it so if someone ever wanted to try and fix it they could have this one.

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 01:28:48 PM »

When it comes to A&H repair advice in the US, David Mitchell at AMS is the guy to ping:

[email protected]

He's been very helpful on figuring out how best to repair a couple of different A&H boards. And of course, you can order all repair parts through AMS who is an authorized repair depot for A&H.

Greg
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 01:28:48 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.