ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What to listen for when doing a mixer shoot-out  (Read 7457 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: What to listen for when doing a mixer shoot-out
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 08:27:05 PM »

A skillful mixperson will be able to make almost any rig shine, while a mixperson who lacks the necessary skills/ears/training, etc. can make even the best rig sound like trash…or even burnt toast.

+1million

All the consoles you mention can sound great.  Concentrate on features and their relevance to your needs.  Sound 'quality' at this level means basically nothing.  If the desk will do what you need, is comfortable for the people operating it, and fits the budget, buy it.

Of the three, I'd buy the Yamaha.  That's based on many happy years working on Yamaha desks.  I don't even need to hear it.  I know I can make it sound good.  The only time I've used a Digico it crashed.  Might have been a fluke, but it made an impression on me.  The iLive would be my choice if the CL was too pricey for the budget.

Your needs/wants almost certainly will vary from mine.  But don't waste too much time comparing 'sound' of these desks.  It really is an empty exercise.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 03:06:01 AM »

+1million

All the consoles you mention can sound great.  Concentrate on features and their relevance to your needs.  Sound 'quality' at this level means basically nothing.  If the desk will do what you need, is comfortable for the people operating it, and fits the budget, buy it.

Of the three, I'd buy the Yamaha.  That's based on many happy years working on Yamaha desks.  I don't even need to hear it.  I know I can make it sound good.  The only time I've used a Digico it crashed.  Might have been a fluke, but it made an impression on me.  The iLive would be my choice if the CL was too pricey for the budget.

Your needs/wants almost certainly will vary from mine.  But don't waste too much time comparing 'sound' of these desks.  It really is an empty exercise.

Preach it, Brother....
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Brian Gowing

• Gowing Associates
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 03:18:28 PM »

Thanks for the replies and inputs folks. It is very useful. The setup is going to be in a new church building and I wanted the worship leader to start listening to some consoles in the price range that we'll be going up to so he can start to hear what a sound board in the $25,000 range sounds like compared to the Presonus StudioLive 24.4.2 they currently have.

I've worked on the Yamaha's (01V96, LS9 and M7CL) so I know how they sound. I'm not too familiar with the iLive or Digico boards. Just couldn't figure out how to best describe what "musical" meant for consoles since they've heard that from some of the sales folks. I'm recommending that we look at feature-set from a volunteer standpoint along with ease-of-use since the only pro they are going to have is me as the production manager.

I'm starting from the speakers and working my way to the amps and crossover then to the mixer being the last part of the chain since I'm thinking that the mixer makes the least difference at sonic quality compared to the other components along with the room acoustical configuration. If I'm not correct please feel free to give me direction. I'd like this church (since it's our home church) to not make the mistake of so many others and only have to buy 1 sound system that really fits their needs as opposed to buying 3 systems over a period of years because someone didn't do their homework.
Brian Gowing
Technical Consultant
Christian & Missionary Alliance
Gowing Associates

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 12:08:09 AM »

I'm starting from the speakers and working my way to the amps and crossover then to the mixer being the last part of the chain since I'm thinking that the mixer makes the least difference at sonic quality compared to the other components along with the room acoustical configuration. If I'm not correct please feel free to give me direction.

You know, a few year back I has a revelation. I good board DOES make a difference. When I moved up to a LX7 I discovered it was easier to mix a a better job of mixing and enjoy the results. However, it is generally accepted that the speaker quality usually makes the biggest difference. 

As a Studiolive user I would suggest that the main reason for upgrading from a SL-24 would be not enough channels and/or additional features or capabilities. (that is assuming the unit has not gone 'buggy')

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 11:51:05 AM »

....I'm recommending that we look at feature-set from a volunteer standpoint along with ease-of-use since the only pro they are going to have is me as the production manager.

I'm starting from the speakers and working my way to the amps and crossover then to the mixer being the last part of the chain since I'm thinking that the mixer makes the least difference at sonic quality compared to the other components along with the room acoustical configuration. If I'm not correct please feel free to give me direction. I'd like this church (since it's our home church) to not make the mistake of so many others and only have to buy 1 sound system that really fits their needs as opposed to buying 3 systems over a period of years because someone didn't do their homework.

i think you are absolutely on the right track.  volunteer friendly at a church trumps everything else from a console standpoint.  acoustics and transducers [both ends] are the biggest areas of improvement to look at as well.

don't give a lot of credence to terms like 'musical' mic pre's and all that nonsense.  salesmen try to differentiate their product in any way that can.  that is their job.  what matters is how easy/intuitive it is to operate, and does it have the feature set you need.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Brian Gowing

• Gowing Associates
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 09:49:36 AM »

The track count is the main reason they're going to upgrade from the StudioLive 24. The unit has been rock solid since I put it in there about a year ago.

In the Phase 2 building it's planned on a 1,000 seat auditorium with the ability to have visiting concerts so I also have to ensure rider friendliness. We're looking for at least a 32 channel or possible 48 channel configuration. Luckily they are just in the initial planning stage of Phase 2 so there's still a year or two away from final design of the building. I've pushed for running the design past an acoustical consultant to ensure proper building dimensions for sound quality and they've agreed so that's a big step in the right direction.
Brian Gowing
Technical Consultant
Gowing Associates

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 11:21:44 AM »

Luckily they are just in the initial planning stage of Phase 2 so there's still a year or two away from final design of the building. I've pushed for running the design past an acoustical consultant to ensure proper building dimensions for sound quality and they've agreed so that's a big step in the right direction.
The best approach is to get an acoustical consultant involved at the same time they engage an Architect, Mechanical Engineer, etc. that way you can minimze any potential redesign and make better informed decisions right from the start.  Many times an hour or two early in the process can avoid many hours and/or thousands of dollars later on.  It can also help get everyone on the same page regarding the goals and vision in terms of acoustics and audio.

Brian Gowing

• Gowing Associates
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 03:30:12 PM »

The best approach is to get an acoustical consultant involved at the same time they engage an Architect, Mechanical Engineer, etc. that way you can minimze any potential redesign and make better informed decisions right from the start.  Many times an hour or two early in the process can avoid many hours and/or thousands of dollars later on.  It can also help get everyone on the same page regarding the goals and vision in terms of acoustics and audio.

If you ask any of the decision-making individuals in the church I'd be willing to bet that they would be able to recite what you just said in its entirety! :D That's what I've been a pain-in-the-neck evangelist about for the last year! I think they're planning on starting the actual design process next year. They've got a few buildings that they've looked at for ideas but haven't lined up an architect yet.
Brian Gowing
Technical Consultant
Gowing Associates

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 06:15:22 PM »

If you ask any of the decision-making individuals in the church I'd be willing to bet that they would be able to recite what you just said in its entirety! :D That's what I've been a pain-in-the-neck evangelist about for the last year! I think they're planning on starting the actual design process next year. They've got a few buildings that they've looked at for ideas but haven't lined up an architect yet.
Sound like you're already well ahead of the curve!  ;D

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 06:15:22 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.