ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Presonus vs Motu/Roland/etc  (Read 10546 times)

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Re: Re: Re: Presonus vs Motu/Roland/etc
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 10:58:39 AM »

I respectfully disagree.
How do you use Smaart (to its full potential) if your not using the Motu interface program to adjust gains? Its way faster than on the interface, especially if you got multi mic's with different gains. Also the only way to be sure that you or some one didn't bump a parameter would IMO be to recall you standard Smaart hardware preset on the interface, before you start any measurement. When/ if you find a general mic gain that works for you, you can calibrate Smaart SPL wise, by labling the inputs you can now quicker see if you connected the right mic to the right input. When you got a recallable preamp (payed for it) use it! make presets with preamp gains in 3/6/10/15 db steps. If you have the corresponding values to put into Smaart, you could stay calibrated very easy, depending on how loud you play that night (or can tune for that matter). And much easier than adjusting all the knobs on the front interface. The Visual in the software is also much easier to spot in case you missed anything, and the metering is much better.

I understand your point with its like a digital console, but i do disagree in your conclusion. IMO it would be the same as recalling that digital console with your own file, that you know works and have decided and knows how is routed. 

It seriously don't take more than 15 minutes of your off time (or when your bored in the tourbus any way) to make a few presets and be ready to go. And in any case you should make a preset and store it, if you upgrade firmware, have to initialize it or send it for Rep it will most likely be returned wiped and you will have to start all over, mine have at least.
/R

Gain is the one thing that is easily accessible on the hardware. Beyond that there is no need to have the software control bogging down my laptop.

I don't want to have a preset that turns off features I don't need. I don't want those features there in the first place.

Any recording I do is not going to be on the computer that handles dsp and measurement anyways. I would rather have a single function tool that does that function well rather than an audio Swiss army knife wherethe most of the tools are less than effective.
Jay Barracato

Rasmus Rosenberg

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 05:08:40 PM »

Gain is the one thing that is easily accessible on the hardware. Beyond that there is no need to have the software control bogging down my laptop.

I don't want to have a preset that turns off features I don't need. I don't want those features there in the first place.

Any recording I do is not going to be on the computer that handles dsp and measurement anyways. I would rather have a single function tool that does that function well rather than an audio Swiss army knife wherethe most of the tools are less than effective.

Im not sure what interface do you have? the Mk3? Anyway if so, the gain for the 4 preamps are very easy to adjust from the front panel (I really like the push to Pad feature), But if I do any "serious measurement" I use at least 3 mic's (sometimes more depending on time) REF signal, Console out, and DSP out that's 6 inputs, so i need the software open anyway. To say the software control bogs the PC down might be true but should be way overstated, It takes very little CPU and is not the deal breaker compared to running that ekstra MTW, that makes the computer sink, the CPU wouldn't be able to run it smooth any way, At least not on the computers i have Beta tested it on.

As for the whole (edit not hole) one function tool thing, I do agree, if you can afford the best tools you should use them. But I can't see any money saved with that. As I said if all of your gigs are as sys tech, yes one can afford to buy a device that only does measurement (with no other functions) but for all others; Im sorry but I can't see why you would not benefit from having the extra features, yes they cost extra (in some cases not), but makes you money down the line (or at least bail you out).
Im not saying that you should run everything together or at once (Smaart, dsp, recording, plug ins). Im talking about in most cases either, just with the same hardware.

I guess we disagree on the subject that the extra features/ tools are inefficient. I not only consider them effective, but also potential gig saviors.
/R
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 05:46:34 AM by Rasmus Rosenberg »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 05:16:50 PM »

As for the hole one function tool thing,
/R

FYI, that's "whole", as in "hele".  "Hole" is "hull" or "åbning".  But you probably know that.

Pardon my Norwegian.  It's a close as I can get to Danish......
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Rasmus Rosenberg

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 05:52:35 AM »

FYI, that's "whole", as in "hele".  "Hole" is "hull" or "åbning".  But you probably know that.

Pardon my Norwegian.  It's a close as I can get to Danish......
Hey Dick,
How are you? I remember you Norwegian to be pretty good, still is I can see :) Thanks for the spelling/context correction always appreciated.
Now all i need it to make my post's make sense...  :)
/R

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 05:52:35 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 25 queries.