ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Danley Sound Labs IHOP-Super Subwoofer  (Read 30688 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2013, 04:58:32 PM »

Hi all,

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Brian Dill

Re: New Danley Sound Labs IHOP-Super Subwoofer
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2013, 11:27:58 AM »

Does anyone have a diagram for placement of Danely cabinets in mulitples?
Specifically Danely subs that have the horn exit on the side of the box? Like the TH212 and the TH812 as examples? I imagine the IHOP will have a similar configuration?
I can't wrap my head around how to use a large array of these subs within a limited space. How would I place 4 of each, stage left and stage right?

Randall Hyde

« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2013, 12:12:03 PM »

Specifically Danely subs that have the horn exit on the side of the box? Like the TH212 and the TH812 as examples? I imagine the IHOP will have a similar configuration?
I can't wrap my head around how to use a large array of these subs within a limited space. How would I place 4 of each, stage left and stage right?
Given the wavelengths in question, I'd point the holes all the same way and make sure they're all in the same vertical plane. I'd also try and cluster the subs together rather than left/right; why give up a lot of performance to comb filtering if it can be avoided?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2013, 01:29:16 PM »

There is no "general answer" for "Danley subs", but rather specific ones for specific cabinets in specific applications.  What is "limited space"? and what are you trying to achieve-directional subs- wide coverage-narrow coverage etc.

This can vary-depending on what you are trying to do.

The TH812 and TH212 are VERY different subs-with different applications. 

I will just just one example with the TH812-since you brought it up.

As you would notice with the TH812-the drivers are all together on one edge-leaving a large panel or boundary.

Let's just talk about 2 cabinets.  If you turn the 90° from the "normal" way (woofer exit at the bottom) and then place them so that the 2 exits are together (ie in the middle of the block) you will have several things happen.

First is that you will have forward directivity (ie less sound in the rear) because of the now 10' wide boundary.

The next thing is that since the drivers are very close together (especially for sub cabinets) you will not get a narrowing of the horizontal coverage as you would with normal sub cabinets placed side by side.

If you put another pair of cabinet on top (same orientation-just sitting on top) you now have a boundary of 10'x10'.  This gives a lot more directivity than if other cabients were stacked in the same size-due to the boundary.  Normal front loaded cabinets have drivers at all of the edges of the stack-so they will "wrap around".

Now lets say you want a "donut with a bite taken out of it type pattern.    This would be case in a large room in which the subs are flown and you want to try to get even coverage-which means a lot less in front than the rear.

So you would arrange the bottom cabinet "upside down" with the exit on the top.  The Upper cabinet would be with the exit on the bottom.  This arrangement will reduce the energy on the  backside towards the ceiling and down on the stage.

The spacing will depend on the freq of interest-but a good start would be about 10' apart from exit to exit.

The TH212 has a movable exit-so it can be on the small side or the large side.

Depending on how many you have and the space you have to work with-there are all kinds of different ways this cabinet can be used.  In some cases the small exit is better-on other cases the exit on the large side is better.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2013, 01:29:16 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.