ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ev live x  (Read 2488 times)

ron lavenski

ev live x
« on: December 06, 2012, 05:51:15 AM »

has any one used the ev live x 12" as wedges,how are they compared to the yamaha cm 12's.

Scott Harris

• Subwoofer forum
  • Worcester, MA
    • Running Sound
Re: ev live x
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 08:43:23 AM »

I have been using elx112's on monitor duty for over a year and like them.  Bands have never complained about them, the angle seems to work well as a wedge at the foot of a mic stand, many of my gigs are run & gun with no sound check or monitor ringout and I have never had feedback issues with sm58's.  I drive them with gx5 one or two on a channel and have always been able to get them loud enough to keep bands happy without hitting the clip lights.  It seems that they have changed the finish coating slightly on the newer models.  The originals had a very thin & brittle coating which appeared to be paint.  I have a newer one which seems to be a thicker material but it's still not truck bed liner tough.  The grills have been strong enough to not dent so far.

I would say that they are more natural sounding when comparing them to a Yamaha SP, Peavey PV or the all too common JBL JRX.  All of the others have blaring horns and require EQ to sound normal.  Many people run those flat and some musicians are used to that and think the EV has a scooped out midrange.  To my ear the EV is flat and all of the others are screaming with way too much in the midrange.  Again, I have never had anyone complain and many people have commented that they liked how clean they sound.

Mario Maric

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 03:33:37 PM »

For the price they're pretty decent. I have the same setup of running it off a gx5 and it's plenty loud. The coating does suck and it chips away. For the price the sound is pretty good. You might want to see if you like the angle though and for what you will be using it

ron lavenski

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 07:25:49 PM »

thanks,been using the yamaha cm112m,run off a xti 4000,do mostly metal(it's what pays around here,metal has 4 to 1 over country and classic rock,so i work 2-4 nites a week)just wondering if they sound better and cut thru better,i don't have feedback,(unless i get some one put mic in monitor,happens just laught)no comllaints just looking for new gear

Scott Harris

• Subwoofer forum
  • Worcester, MA
    • Running Sound
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 03:20:23 PM »

thanks,been using the yamaha cm112m,run off a xti 4000,do mostly metal(it's what pays around here,metal has 4 to 1 over country and classic rock,so i work 2-4 nites a week)just wondering if they sound better and cut thru better,i don't have feedback,(unless i get some one put mic in monitor,happens just laught)no comllaints just looking for new gear

The EVs are good for country or classic rock, but for metal I'd stick with screaming horn monitors to "cut through" and provide the expected sound on stage.  If you are adding I would stick with what you have otherwise you may have problems ringing out.  If your Yamahas are dead/dying the EVs would be a sideways step.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 03:20:23 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 23 queries.