ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Annoying resonant feedback from stand up bass  (Read 11796 times)

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Re: Annoying resonant feedback from stand up bass
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2012, 04:51:54 PM »

The combo solution is a stick-on transducer for the "solid" part of the tone and a mic to get boomy.  Balance to taste.

Of course, if the original instrument is a piece of c***, you're not going to have much to work with.....

I have seen more shitty sounding basses than shitty sounding mics on good basses.
Jay Barracato

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Annoying resonant feedback from stand up bass
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2012, 07:25:25 PM »

How about a side of fries and a drink, too?
And a milkshake. Hey OP, how about actually trying some of these suggestions and getting back to us. Or do you want someone to come out and do it for you??
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Mario Maric

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2012, 08:28:15 PM »

And a milkshake. Hey OP, how about actually trying some of these suggestions and getting back to us. Or do you want someone to come out and do it for you??
I will I just won't have an opportunity for a little while. I've seen other guys use Beta 57's and other mic's on these basses right up on the f-hole and it sounds fabulous with no feedback. When I have more time for setup and I get to play around with the bass I'll see what solution I come up and what works best. I know for a fact the Shadow SH965 is a great product, one of the best I've used for live. Though it lacks the convinience of taking it on and off.
It's definitely no speaker placement or anything, I mean it does contribute to the problem for sure. I've noticed with no monitoring on these sort of basses in the studio they give off a natural low-end ring around the 80hz and/or 130hz range.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2012, 08:43:20 PM »

I've seen other guys use Beta 57's and other mic's on these basses right up on the f-hole and it sounds fabulous with no feedback.

Then why are you asking what works?  Get yourself a Beta 57.  If it doesn't work, then you're the problem.......... 
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2012, 08:47:59 PM »

Then why are you asking what works?  Get yourself a Beta 57.  If it doesn't work, then you're the problem..........

I bet the monitor was pointed at the side of the bass rather than the front.
Jay Barracato

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2012, 09:39:05 PM »

I have upon occasion run into stages where the floor is so resonant that shock mounting the mic or the stand was needed.

Mario Maric

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2012, 01:27:39 AM »

There were no monitors actually.

@dick The beta 57 is just a mic I've seen being used. I just wanted some other opinions from someone with more experience.

Roland Clarke

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2012, 01:15:14 PM »

You can spend several thousand on an upright bass and it still be a piece of c***.  Orchestral players regularly pay upwards of £10,000 for instruments and sometimes a lot more.  I've worked with jazz players with decent double basses, but, sadly, more often than not, many instruments sound no better than 4 strings stretched over an old victorian wardrobe.  Using a pick-up is often a far better solution unless the instrument and player are exceptional.

Mario Maric

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2012, 03:35:43 PM »

You can spend several thousand on an upright bass and it still be a piece of c***.  Orchestral players regularly pay upwards of £10,000 for instruments and sometimes a lot more.  I've worked with jazz players with decent double basses, but, sadly, more often than not, many instruments sound no better than 4 strings stretched over an old victorian wardrobe.  Using a pick-up is often a far better solution unless the instrument and player are exceptional.
For the type of basses I deal with, it's usually the player that makes it or breaks it. The basses are generally above average quality and sound.

Weogo Reed

• Western NC,
    • LiveEdge
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2012, 12:50:10 PM »

Hi Y'all,

I work with a lot of different Upright Bass players.
Most of the better players have a pickup installed but will let me put a mic on them if it will sound better.

Dick wrote:  "Drop a lav inside the box." 

For quick, easy and good sound, this is what I prefer, and to clarify, an omni. 
I have a small bit of foam I use to suspend the mic in an F-hole, about 1" in to the instrument.

One benefit of a mic on a stand is when a hot shot Bass player spin their instrument, my mic cable isn't getting all twisted and kinked!  : -)

Thanks and good health,  Weogo 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2012, 12:50:10 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.