ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RIP Mickey Baker  (Read 1875 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
RIP Mickey Baker
« on: December 05, 2012, 10:45:07 AM »

Mickey Baker, known as the original rock and roll guitar king has passed. In a day when few guitarist where known for much more than passing chords and background fill Mickey Baker stood alone. Best known for his crossover hit with Sylvia Vanderpool, "Mickey and Sylvia" were often referred to as the black "Les Paul and Mary Ford" of their time. It was their hit "Love is strange" and the guitar work on that song which brought Baker and his guitar work to the forefront setting a standard for all to follow.

Mickey Baker was an inspiration to me as I learned my craft. RIP Mickey. Thank you for your contributions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCvcZhX7oxk&feature=fvsr

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: RIP Mickey Baker
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 01:22:50 PM »

Mickey Baker, known as the original rock and roll guitar king has passed. In a day when few guitarist where known for much more than passing chords and background fill Mickey Baker stood alone. Best known for his crossover hit with Sylvia Vanderpool, "Mickey and Sylvia" were often referred to as the black "Les Paul and Mary Ford" of their time. It was their hit "Love is strange" and the guitar work on that song which brought Baker and his guitar work to the forefront setting a standard for all to follow.

Mickey Baker was an inspiration to me as I learned my craft. RIP Mickey. Thank you for your contributions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCvcZhX7oxk&feature=fvsr

The one and only guitar book that really impressed me and opened up the world of 6-string music was Mickey's "Guitar Method".  I still have it and it is a wonderful read and reminder of how to intelligently arrange for guitar AND ensemble.

I am indebted.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 08:38:16 PM »

The one and only guitar book that really impressed me and opened up the world of 6-string music was Mickey's "Guitar Method".  I still have it and it is a wonderful read and reminder of how to intelligently arrange for guitar AND ensemble.

I am indebted.

A great book. You might be interested in knowing it was Baker's book that Frank Zappa used to learn how to play.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 08:38:16 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.